Corsair Community

My First 650D Build = Help/Suggestions Appreciated

Hello everyone, first time here! I am building a PC for the first time ever. 2 weeks ago, I was clueless on how to build one, but after an extensive research I believe I have gotten a decent specs on my budget which is 1500 USD.

Please take a look at the components I will be buying and any suggestions on buying something better for a better price will be appreciated. And any tips on buying the best fans for the best airflow and air cooling will be appreciated as well.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

Mobo: Asus Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1155 P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

CPU: Intel i5-2500K

Heatsink: Corsair Hydro Series H80 Liquid Cooler (Bought)

GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twn Frozr II 2GD5/OC (Bought)

Memory: Kings HyX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Bought)

PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified

SSD: CruciaI 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2

HDD: WDigitial Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB

Based on my research, I am thinking about getting:

Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm for the front of the case.

And Noctua Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm for my H80.

What kind of fan and size should I get for the top?

Thanks.

Well you can start two 140mm fans for the top of the case, it would help with air flow, the front 200 will do a good job depending on the rpm. Just focus on good cable management, it can be the difference between a few degrees. You have many options and configurations available with that case.

Get a 200mm bitfenix spectre pro for the front. Megaflow fans have sleeved bearing which are garbage, spectre pro has fluid dynamic. Also it moves 150cfm. Id leave the stock fan on top unless you want led or something... It doesn't move much but the case already has negative pressure so adding more exhaust to the top will take airflow away from your h80... Which you don't want. If your planning on using the h80 as intake instead of exhaust get some top fans... I wouldnt recommend this as it will bring dust and heat into your case.. My H60 as intake in my 600t lowered gaming temps a couple °C, but under prime and linx I had no difference at all. So I switched it back to exhaust. I wouldnt get the noctua fans for the h80 either. Theyre ugly and the stock fans have higher static pressure then most other fans on the market.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE I finished my first build ever yesterday.

At first I was extra careful with everything since I am a novice, I didn't want to break or mess anything up.

Especially when I was pushing down the latch on the motherboard to put the CPU in place, I was very nervous!

But everything ran quite smoothly.

Although I am far from being a heavy user, I decided to build a high-performance PC to have that heavy using option available in the future. So I decided to overclock and here is what I've achieved so far.

i5-2500K from 3.3 GHz to 4.7 GHz (Temperatures around 60-70 degrees, core voltage of 1.368V under load w/ prime95

Memory from 1333 to 1600

MSI GTX650 Ti - Tweaked a few settings to get 78-79 degrees under full load w/ FurMark

I am quite happy with these settings since like I mentioned before I am not really a hardcore user.

With that said, is it a good idea (for stability, reliability, and durability) to just use the stock settings unless I download intensive games like BF3 or Skyrim?

Or is it okay for me to keep using my pc under these settings?

All my fans are stock and my intake is from the front and the top (both 200mm)

And my exhaust is out the back through H80 radiator.

Planning on replacing the stock fans.

Thank yoU!

isnt 16gb of ram overkill?

i run skyrim at full graphics with 4gb in my system [ 2x gtx260 ] and i hover under 4gb all the time

im not trying to be a dick at all, i have 8GB in my system and never seen it break the 4GB barrier, just curious as to why everyone seems to do it nowadays?

isnt 16gb of ram overkill?

i run skyrim at full graphics with 4gb in my system [ 2x gtx260 ] and i hover under 4gb all the time

im not trying to be a dick at all, i have 8GB in my system and never seen it break the 4GB barrier, just curious as to why everyone seems to do it nowadays?

It was a special deal at Fry's. 16GB for $59.99 after the rebate. Not bad at all.

When 8GB costs around ~$50 anyway.

Archived