Corsair Community

Corsair XL on A64 command rate?

With a 1t command rate, I can only get ~211fsb on my athlon64. Here are the specs. Athlon64 3000+ newcastle MSI K8N Neo platinum 1024 Corsair XL twinx Raptor74gb, radeon9800pro. My processor goes up to 247-248 fsb on stock voltage, but with 1t command rate the ram poops out at around 211fsb. My options then are: 247fsb 1:1 with 2t command rate (timings end up being 2.5-3-3) 247fsb with a divider, memory is at 205, 1t command rate (2-2-2) Is this a known issue with a64 memory controller not being able to do 1t command rate at any respectable fsb?

• 5 weeks later...
Hey FryGuy My setup A64 3200 clawhammer CG 2x512 twinx XMS ram MSI K8n Neo Platinum 2xMaxtor 80Gb Sata I have exactly the same problem as you. On stock settings of 3-4-4-8 1T 2.75V I can only get 210FSB. I know its the ram causing the problem because if i lower the FSB base frequency to 166 I can run stable at FSB 235 which gives a memory frequency of 195 any higher and the processor starts to top out. To be honest I'm at a loss now. Have tried lots of different settings and cant get it to run stable over 210. There must be somthing strange going on between the K8N Neo Plat and the corsair matched. I posted a similar message on the msi forum this morning, but if anyone here has an explination or any ideas how to rectify pls let me know because I'm mystified. Cheers

[quote name='Fryguy']With a 1t command rate, I can only get ~211fsb on my athlon64. Here are the specs. Athlon64 3000+ newcastle MSI K8N Neo platinum 1024 Corsair XL twinx Raptor74gb, radeon9800pro. My processor goes up to 247-248 fsb on stock voltage, but with 1t command rate the ram poops out at around 211fsb. My options then are: 247fsb 1:1 with 2t command rate (timings end up being 2.5-3-3) 247fsb with a divider, memory is at 205, 1t command rate (2-2-2) Is this a known issue with a64 memory controller not being able to do 1t command rate at any respectable fsb?[/QUOTE] : I would say those are pretty good results hitting 247 1:1 with 2x512. Don't forget your chip is only has a single memory controller as the 939's should overclock better with 2 sticks. I have my 3700+/Neo Plat with TwinX PC3200XL 2x512 arriving on Friday. Will post my findings over the weekend.

Yes some A64 CPUs do have high fsb memory issues. the new revisions were supposed to fix that. 247 1:1 is very good for a A64. Though I have read the DFI has done DDR600 So apparently MB choice does make a difference. The MSI I had before my Abit was very poor at overclocking. Abit much better.

• 1 month later...
Well doing 247 fsb isn't worth much if you have to drop the command rate. If you look at the 'A64 Memory - rewriting the rules' article on anandtech you see that the other 2-2-2 sticks can go much higher without losing the 1T command rate. I too have the same problem, 2x512 Corsair 3200XLPT, A64 3400+ (2.4GHz), Abit KV8Pro, and it just wont go over DDR430 on 1T command rate, no matter how loose the other timings (i'm using 2.8 vDIMM). I have to conclude that Corsair 3200XL series ram just isn't suitable for A64 overclocking (and some other types of Corsair memory for that matter).

I'm having the same problem, can't get over 206mhz without crashing at 1T command rate. At this stage i can't figure out whether its the CPU(mem controller), MOBO or RAM thats the problem. I'm running a 3200+ Newcastle CG. 2x512 Corsair 3200XL Abit KV8 Pro 1.1 Antec TruePower 430 Seagate SATA 120G Are you guys running SATA or IDE hard disks? Also power supply maybe in question. ps. i get bluescreen or corrupt file errors on bootup.

Well, i tried running the memory at 5:4 divider (DDR333) while pushing the cpu and fsb up. I got boots and was able to run SuperPI at 2616MHz and it was Prime95 stable at 2544MHz so i'd say it's not the cpu. When i was testing the memory i reduced the cpu multiplier and overclocked only the memory with fsb (pci/agp are locked), i was able to hit 215fsb at 3-4-4-10-1T timing and it didn't go beyond that. Considering 2-2-2-10-1T@200MHz is faster than 3-4-4-10-1T@215MHz, i'm best off running my systerm at default settings. Of course being a A64 3400+ with fast memory and an excellent motherboard (Abit KV8Pro), it's bleeding fast as it is, but i was kinda hoping to use it to heat my room while overclocked during the long cold winter nights to come :)

you can run over 300mhz 1:1 wiht 1t command it all depends on the type of ddr used the powersupply and mobo used, the correct bios settings used and so on.. a64 controller has no issues with 1t but other settings will conflict with 1t when overclocking that you need to take note of :)

Any settings we should be looking into? i've fiddled around with bios settings to no avail. So CPU and mem controllor is good. Mobo is abit kv8, which i've read can handle 1T. Corsair RAM XL which should be able to handle 1T. So i agree, must be some delicate settings that need to be correct for 1T to operate at higher HTT. But the million dollar question is, what are these settings? and what are they suppose to be set to?

Well if you look at the guy's sig, you can see he's not using 3200XL memory, which i think is the main reason behind our inability to overclock the memory... I'm still waiting for Abit to release a new bios for KV8Pro so i could test higher voltages (default for the XL memory is 2.75V and the Abit mobo wont let you set the voltage higher than 2.8V). One more theory, that i'd like some expert's opinion on: is it possible that you cannot achieve higher 1T overclocks with 2 sticks of memory on socket 754 (because socket 754 cpus have single channel memory controller). Hmm, i should really give it a shot with 1 stick only (which i already did but i was trying to overclock with memory 1:1 and i might have hit the limit on the CPU then).

• 2 weeks later...
With my KV8-Pro v1.0 I can use the origninal OCguru & set the DDR voltage upto 3.2v, but apparently it does not do that in BIOS now because it was not stable. But if you have a look, you should see when setting in the bios to 2.8v the real voltage I get is 2.9v My KV8-Pro overvolts a fair bit (which is good).

More info! Well, i'm selling my Corsair sticks and I think noone should buy Corsair memory for A64. I installed DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB the other day and the memory wasn't able to overclock there either. After reading the DFI forums, some people mentioned Corsair XL doesn't even work at default settings, so i had to try... And there it was, 2-2-2-5-1@2.8V/200MHz, memtest86+ fails at the end of test #5. It's only a few errors but sooner or later it'll crash your system (in my case it resulted in a broken MBR and having to back up all my 120GB of data to do a low level mbr erase). Since my Abit mobo died unexpectedly, it'd be interesting to see if memtest #5 shows similar results on that board, if anyone has the patience to try.

Hey Guys, I've had tons of problems trying to OC AMD64 CPUs. In fact this is the third AMD64 CPU I'm using and I've tried 3 different motherboards (Soltek SL-K8TPro 939, ABIT AV8 & MSI Neo2 Platinum). Using the two VIA boards I was only able to must a 1:1 of 250 on the Soltek and 210 on the ABIT with my current CPU AMD3500+ 90nm. The MSI board is currently running 1:1 @ 275 HT using Corsairs' new XMS4400 TwinX memory. At first I thought it was the CPUs, memory controller or the memory - much to my dismay the biggest single reason for not being able to run 1:1 or overclock is the motherboard. In fact with this same board I've taken this CPU up over 2.5 GHz and 290 Front Side Bus. The other boards weren't able to break - 2.4 GHz regardless of the settings, vcore, etc..btw I'm at 1T. Here is a screentshot of the OC I hit with the MSI nforce3 939 board. [URL=http://www.3dxtreme.net/other/MSI-Neo2-Platinum-Overclock.jpg]Click here[/URL]

[quote name='ccs']I'm having the same problem, can't get over 206mhz without crashing at 1T command rate. At this stage i can't figure out whether its the CPU(mem controller), MOBO or RAM thats the problem. I'm running a 3200+ Newcastle CG. 2x512 Corsair 3200XL Abit KV8 Pro 1.1 Antec TruePower 430 Seagate SATA 120G Are you guys running SATA or IDE hard disks? Also power supply maybe in question. ps. i get bluescreen or corrupt file errors on bootup.[/QUOTE] Using an ABIT av8 I couldnt break 210 1:1. That board stinks for 1:1 overclocking. Now at 275 1:1 on the MSI neo2 plat.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, I have the same problem, for you guys wanting to know if the xl has problems with one stick, well it does. My setup consist of the following: DFI LP UT nf3 250gb, amd 64 3000+ with a single stick of 3200xlpt. I have found that this ram is maxed out at about 209mhz no matter what voltage you apply, it appears that it likes 2.8 the best (memtest and prime verified). It is also partial to cas 2, doesnt like higher cas no matter what settings or voltage. I wish I would of known this prior to purchasing, I thought the TCCD ic's were going to be good clockers. Its a shame when this 3000 runs stable at 2.5 and I have to divide the ram down to 207. Should of went with the winbond chips! :confused:

There are any number of reviews showing the XL as being one of the best O/C'ing PC3200 RAMs available so I doubt it's the RAM. More likely it's BIOS settings that is the limitation. Just so you know some RAM does NOT like higher voltage than default and this can LOWER RAM performance. [url]http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145&p=8[/url]

Racer, You were correct, I am a happy camper now. There is a setting in my bios that controls the dram drive strength that I had set to auto, apparently this tells the memory controller on the CPU how to manage through put of memory and at what signal strenght. I experemented with this setting and found that when set to level 1 I could achieve 250mhz @ 2.5-3-3-7. 233mhz @ 2-3-3-6 was pretty snappy as well but was outperformed using super pi and aqua mark3 with the 250mhz settings. Anything above 250 required loose settings and performance loss. This stuff isnt bad after all, so many settings so little time! LOL :laughing:

Archived