Corsair Community

Front USB 3 ports dont work on Obsidian case

mrpenguin

I have a Corsair Obsidian 650D. It has two front USB 3 ports which is connected to the motherboard in the back.

My problem is that the front USB 3 ports in the front do not work. I plug in an external hard drive in the front, the external hard drive spins up and gets power but it wont mount. When I plug it in directly into the mother board in the back ( same port in which the front USB 3 ports are connected to) then the hard drive mounts and works perfectly.

So the problem is not my motherboard, or windows 7 drivers but the actual front USB 3 ports or its cables. Both front USB 3 cables do not work but both front USB 2 ports works perfectly.

How do I fix this problem ?

RamGuy,

I have the same problem on two 600T cases. The USB3 Hard Drive will work on any of the MB USB 3 connectors but is unrecognized when connected to the USB3 600T case connector. The HARD DRIVE has it's own power supply. I submitted the problem in the Cases sub-forum but have not had a response from anybody from Corsair. Like I said there, I would no have gotten excited about the problem except on one of the cases the case USB3 "shorted out" when I plugged in a USB3 thumb drive and wipped out my BIOS settings. It sure would be nice if Corsair acknowledged the problem and made a "fixed" control panel available rather than replacing the whole case. Just to prove it one more time I have a SIIG 4 port USB 3 card ordered and will install it in yet another 600T case and see it that case has the same issue. If so, that will be 3 for 3!

RamGuy,

Of course I have the latest ASMedia USB 3 driver installed that's why I can connect the external USB 3 Hard Drive to any one of the USB 3 connectors on the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB and it works just fine. It is only the Case USB 3 connector that does not work correctly with an external USB 3 Hard Drive. I have not submitted an RMA at this point because I'm not sure I won't just get another case with the same issue and I really don't want to go to all the trouble of replacing the whole case for a USB 3 port that may not work. Like I said above I have a SIIG USB 3 addon card ordered with a TI USB 3 controller. I will install it in another system with another 600T case and a Gigabyte MB. If that has the same issue then I will have 3 600T cases and two totally different setups and the same Case USB 3 connector/cable/? problem in all three.

How can this be a driver issue if the exHDD works when connected to the motherboard's USB3 port, but when you connect the front panel to the very same USB3 port and then the exHDD to the front USB3 port, it doesn't work anymore?

Unless I slept though the day when Corsair PC cases started to require a system driver :P

• Corsair Employees

Lets try and send you a new USB panel please use the link on the left and request and RMA and explain that the issue is with the USB 3 not working with a external Hdd then post the case number I will see it gets approved and sent right out to you..

wlw_wl

It can be a driver because it is going through a HUB when using USB pass through like on a case and the driver for the pass through will come from the controller driver that gets installed. If you do not install the controller driver then a generic driver is installed during the Windows install and it has shown in the past that this same type of symptom can occur when generic drivers are used. That is why it could be a driver.

I suspect because the correct controller driver is not installed it will miss detect everything else in the chain. Please do not comment unless you have something useful to add...

So you're saying that the cable isn't just a simple extension male-to-female USB 3.0 cable, but in fact some kind of a passive HUB IC?

If it's true then the design is silly, if it's not, you must be. That's something useful I have to add.

It's not the first time you're ignoring the actual issue telling people to do some placebo things, and now you're being rude on top of that. Way to go!

• Corsair Employees

wlw_wl

If you search for USB design guides and do a little research it will help answer a lot of these questions. But there are limits that adding a hub will over come that is the reason to use a HUB in between it is not stupid it is by design and this is just a limitation.

• 4 weeks later...

RamGuy,

Sorry it took so long to get back but I wanted to make sure I knew what was going wrong with the USB 3.0 port one of the 600T cases. Just to sum up where I've been:

1. The ASMedia controller on the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB recognizes the Seagate 500 GB drive in the Rosewill external enclosure as long as I plug it into one of the MB USB 3.0 ports. When I plug it into the case USB 3.0 port (connected to the MB USB 3.0 port that just worked) the system either crashes or the device is not recognized.
  2. I tried the same device on another system with an old Gigabyte MB and a TI based USB 3.0 card. The Seagate drive was not recognized.
  3. I tried the same device on the system with a NEC based USB 3.0 card - same result.
  4. I then switched out the Seagate 500 GB drive and replaced it with a 250 GB WD drive. The new configuration was recognized by all the USB 3.0 controllers and worked as advertized!!
  5. However, the USB 3.0 port on the one 600T case would not recognize the drive and suggested I reformat the drive. I did not try it multiple times because sooner or later it would crash the BIOS.

So...bottom line I have one case with a bad USB 3.0 port...AND...some USB 3.0 controllers are not ready for prime time! Please verify that I can request a replacement control panel for the 600T case.

In case of those add-on controllers, I think it's a power requirement problem with more powerful drives that don't have external power supply.

I have a NEC 3.0 USB controller on my MoBo and it works well. It also doesn't work with the 600T front panel extension.

I guess I forgot to add point 6 - I tried both add on controller cards with and without power with the same result. I was told by SIIG technical support that additional power is not needed especially if the external enclosure has it's own power source.

RamGuy,

I don't want to be too redundant but the last time you told me to RMA a problem with another 600T case (the disk LED quit working) I ended up going around and around with the RMA people because the only way to fix the minor problem was to replace the whole $%^& case. Apparently Corsair does not have or at least a few months ago did not have a way to replace just the control panel. I really don't want to hit up Corsair for another case replacement I just want a new control panel with a USB 3.0 prot that works. BUT...as you suggested, I'll request and RMA and see where it goes.

• Corsair Employees

You will want to change your email client to another provider like Yahoo, Hotmail or gmail; Comcast, roadrunner and Cox all may block the reply emails from our automated replies.

And check your mail a message was sent to you:

Please provide your address and phone number so the parts can be sent to you

• Corsair Employees
I have sent a message and asked our customer service to send the parts to repair your case as soon as possible. so it is in process and will be sent when the part is available, but it may take some time to get the part to you, if you have questions I would suggest contacting our customer service directly from this point on, the number is listed under contact on the main site.

• 2 weeks later...

RamGuy,

Or anybody who can shed some USB 3.0 light!

The saga continues. Like I said in a previous post in this thread, I broke down and bought yet another Corsair Case. This time I went with the 650D. Thought I was happy until I tried to remove the Windowed Cover and had to use a wedge to get it off. Seems the machine that bent the inside stuff on the Windowed Cover was off by a 16th or maybe a 32th of an inch. You got to wonder how that could get out of the factory! RMA submitted.

Back to the USB 3.0 on the new 650D case,

I am using a RoseWill RX35-AT-SU3 External Enclosure with a WD 640 GB Black drive. I connect the External Enclosure via a SIIG SuperSpeed USB 3.0 A to B Cable.

The Setup works just fine when connected to the USB 3.0 Ports on the back of the Asus P8Z68-V Pro MB. It also works just fine connected to the addon USB 3.0 bracket (2 ports) supplied with the MB connected to the secondary USB 3.0 connector on the MB. It also works just fine connected to the secondary USB 3.0 connector on the MB via a BitFenix USB 3.0 Adapter.

However, when I connect the case USB 3.0 cables to either the back of the MB or via the BitFenix connected to the secondary controller on the MB Windows does not either recognize the drive or it wants to reformat it depending on how it feels at the moment!

Now, the USB 3.0 on the good 600T case (still waiting on the replacement control panel for the second 600T case),

I am using the exact same External Enclosure, Hard Drive and Cable as above. The difference is the 600T case has a Gigabyte MB and I am using a SIIG SuperSpeed 2 port USB 3.0 PCIe card with a Renesas (NEC) Chip. Everything works as it should!

The Patriot USB 3.0 Thumb Drive works everywhere.

So it would appear that the ASMedia USB 3.0 controller on the P8Z68-V Pro MB does not like something that Corsair is doing with the case (600T and 650D) USB 3.0 port(s) and the External USB 3.0 enclosure.

I could carry this one step further and buy a WD and/or Seagate external drive and see where that goes but I'm running out of room to store all the stuff on this adventure. I can't believe more people aren't having these issues trying to use USB 3.0.

RamGuy,

Received the replacement Window Cover for the 650D and it fits like it should. Corsair has a very responsive RMA process and I appreciate it. However, it sure would be nice if I never had to use it! Thanks again.

Still have not received the Control Panel for the 600T case.

Update on the USB 3.0 saga - It is looking like the ASMedia Controller on the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB is the culprit. When I try to copy a huge file ~14GB to an external HD it fails (sometimes!) and I have to reboot the system to get the USB 3.0 function back. This does not happen with the Renesas (NEC) based USB 3.0 card. The ASMedia controller does not like the Corsair USB 3.0 ports at all. I think the people that mentioned cable length may be correct since a shorter cable makes the ASMedia Controller less likely to fail. I have tried 6 meter and 3 foot cables. What the ASMedia Controller needs is a 6" cable!! Maybe that is why it has problems with the Corsair Case USB 3.0 ports and the Thumb Drives work?

Hopefully, this is my last post on the USB 3.0 saga.

1. I gave up on the ASMedia Controller and Disabled it for now maybe someday I'll find somebody at ASUS Technical Support that knows something and can point out the errors of my ways.
  2. I installed a SIIG JU-P40212-S1 (TI controller) on the P8Z68-V Pro MB.
  3. I'm using a RoseWill USB 3.0 External Enclosure with its own power supply with a WD 640 GB Black hard drive in the enclosure. The Rosewill device came with a 3' USB 3.0 cable. I also bought a premium SIIG 2 meter (6'6") cable.
  4. I am using an Acronis Backup file of ~14GB for the testing.
  5. I am using the Corsair 650D case.
  6. I'll call the case USB 3.0 port next to the power button "Port 1" and the second USB 3.0 port next to Port 1 "Port 2".
  7. I can connect the External Enclosure to any of the ports on the add-in card and everything works AND is repeatable. Strange but the 3' cable transfers at ~100MB/Sec and the 2 meter cable transfers at ~110MB/Sec.
  8. I can connect the 3' cable to the case Port 1 and it works.
  9. When I connect the 2 meter cable to the case Port 1 it drops the connection.
  10. When I try to connect the 3' cable to Port 2 it is a no go - drops connection.
  11. When I try to connect the 2 meter cable to Port 2 it is not recognized.
  12. The ******** USB 3.0 Thumb drive works everywhere but the transfer speed is only ~30 MB/Sec.
  13. All of the above was tried with and without power connected to the add-in card.

So, one more time - cable distance has an effect on USB 3.0. It would appear that the ~3' of extra cable the Corsair cases bring to the game can be a problem when trying to use an external hard drive. The 650D case has one USB 3.0 port (Port 2) that is suspect! But...I give up - I'll use the USB 3.0 ports on the add-in card OR E-SATA OR USB 2 and call it a day. It would also appear that every USB 3.0 controller/drivers have their own quirks. I'd be curious if other people have had similar experiences.

• Corsair Employees
That is great information but the supported cable lengths are listed in the USB 3.0 Specs and one of the symptoms of data loss would be a slower connection speed. I seem to remember seeing that in the data sheet. Drives like this would need to be externally powered and I am sure given some time for drivers and firmware to mature these devices will work more as expected just like USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 devices did when they first came out.

RamGuy,

Just to beat this to death, the external enclosure I am using has it's own power supply.

It would appear to me that the various USB 3.0 Controllers do something that allows longer cable lengths. I have tried copying a 14GB file using three different USB 3.0 controllers based on three different chips to the same external enclosure and hard drive.

The unofficial results are: ASMedia on the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB does not work with with any length cable although it tries harder with a 3' cable but still fails! The TI based USB 3.0 add-in card on the P8Z68-V Pro works with the 6'6" cable when connected directly to the card. It don't work when the extra ~3' of cable is added to use the Corsair Case port. The Renesas (NEC) based add-in card on the Gigabyte MB works with the 6'6" cable connected to the Corsair Case port on the 600T, although it is a little slower at ~90MB/Sec but that could just be the different MB and Processor used for the test (ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/2600K @ 4.5GHz versus the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P/Q9550 @ 3.6GHz).

That's just the cable length variation, I don't even want to get into what devices each controller recognizes or does not recognize!

Anyway, all I was trying to point out is just because the Corsair case port does not work it may or probably is not the root cause of the problem.

Archived