Corsair Community

Voyager GTR 32GB LED flashing, not much else

flagpole

Hi.

i have a 32GB V-GTR, the yellow one.

switched on my bluray tonight, into which it's plugged and the light flashes really fast but not much else happens.

so i plug it into my computer, it installs some drivers, but it doesn't show up in my computer or disk manager.

it does show up in device manager as 'XXXXXXXX U168CONTROLLER USB Device'

anyone know what this is all about? i'm guessing it's dropped into some kind of firmware loader mode or something like that. it's been working beautifully since august.

anything i can do or do i have to RMA?

if i do have to RMA my question is how long does it take?

how certain can i be that my data is safe? this is important but, i don't really want to lose out on £50

as i'm writing this i'm googling with the other hand and seeing it's a common problem? i must admit i'm a bit gob-smacked by this. it's like the most expensive flash drive i could find.

what to do? (oh i'm in the UK if that makes a difference)

been reading the forum. Could someone clarify that rma takes 6 weeks? I'm obviously going to have to buy another one, like everyone else i wouldn't have bought it if i could go without it for 6 weeks. Quick story. A had a logitech mouse stop working properly recently. They asked for a photo of it then couriered me a new one the next day. Any thoughts on what my memory stick might be doing for the next 6 weeks.

i had the same problem and i used a program called URescue_v1.3.0.71 and it fixed it. but the light on the drive is constant now it does blink when you transfer files over to the drive. but at least it can read and write files once again. maybe there a firmware to download to fix that?

yeah i know what you mean i been working on finding a problem finally gave up today and then said could take 24 hours to do rma and then i found that program and it fixed it. we see for how long. i only had my usb 32 gig voyager for 2 months now. i must of done something to make it mad at me. hahahahaha

Hundreds/thousands of these drives are failing, just look at the dozens of posts here. This drive contains bad parts from the factory. Heard they are sending new models out instead of having to send out another bad drive as an RMA. Some report getting 3 or 4 bad ones from the RMA process, they just keep dying. Just RMAed mine.

having read the warranty i see these two pearls:

• Please allow two business days for your replacement order to be shipped, a credit to be applied to your account or up to 14 business days for a check to be mailed
  • Consumers who obtained an RMA# using our online RMA process will receive automatic e-mail updates throughout the RMA process

the only development i have seen is at the bottom of my RMA it says 'Your RMA has already been processed and/or shipped.' but it's been saying that for a week. I'm confident UPS would have delivered it by now if it had actually been dispatched.

so my question is, from anyone who has actually done this, is what actually happens. what is the timetable? and what emails do you get.

the warranty seems to suggest that within 3 or 4 days of it being received i will get a new one. but the forum seems to suggest that within 5-6 weeks i will get a new one.

#2689765 btw

any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
That was just updated this morning so it may take 24-48 Hours from now before the tracking is sent to you I will send our customer service a message but I would expect you to get the replacement with in 5-7 days from today.

So my RMA was resolved this morning after emailing rmaservice. it was difficult to find a way to contact them because all roads on the path to contacting them seemed to take you to the rma page.

anyway. now i have a question. my gtr 32GB has been replaced with the current USB 3 model. but oddly, over usb 2 at least it is slightly slower. I would regularly get 23MBs now it peaks around 18MBs.

has this always been the case or has the model been revised? i'm hopeful someone can tell me from the attached image.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10416&d=1332241308

Image1.png.72f879afddbb8c033ab53d40d08d4866.png

Please use HD Bench and I would do a fresh format with Fat32 and rerun the test then please post a screen shot.

funny little program that HD bench.

i can't post a screen shot because you have removed that ability from my account. but after a morning of mixing low level and high level formats with different allocation units the max speeds i was able to achieve in HD Bench were

Write 18.57MBs (19022KBs)

Read 23.99MBs (24574KBs)

substantially (maybe 20%) down on the performance of my GTR. And somewhat slower than the drive i bought for whilst the corsair was holidaying in holland. All of which i can live with I'm just trying to understand what's going on. My first thought and what i was hoping for was that maybe the controller had been swapped out for one that was more reliable, that's why i posted the serial number above and other information above. i hoped that someone could tell me.

but i noticed another thread where someone had more than one drive and they were different speeds. i'd assumed that they were all the same. so i'm asking really if there is a variance. do i just have a slow one? i know in some areas it's common to build things like memory chips stress them to failure and then limit them and badge them appropriately. is that what happens here?

• 2 years later...
i had the same problem and i used a program called URescue_v1.3.0.71 and it fixed it. but the light on the drive is constant now it does blink when you transfer files over to the drive. but at least it can read and write files once again. maybe there a firmware to download to fix that?

One more success attained with URescue_v1.3.0.71... :):

It, however, now has VID = 048D PID = 1168, and I found no way to put back the original values (namely: VID = 1B1C PID = 1A97), but I sure can live with that. Thanks a lot for the precious info. You rock!

Archived