Corsair Community

1 module...no errors -> 2 modules...ERRORS!

PuckStar

something very strange (i think). when i have one memory module (Corsair VS512333 = PC2700 512mb DDR) in my pc and run Memtest86+ i get no errors!!! but when i stick a second (same module) in my pc i get errors. specifically only Test #5 of Memtest86+ 1.20 it doesn't matter which module is in which slot. as long as there is only 1 module i get no errors. but with 2 modules i get errors. here a description of my tests with 2 modules. Memtest86+ 1.20 Proc: Athlon XP (0.13) 1837Mhz L1 cache: 128k L2 cache: 512K Chipset: nVidia nForce2 SPP/FSB: 167 Cached: 1024 Rsvd Mem 76K Cache:ON ECC: OFF Settings: RAM 167Mhz (DDR334) CAS: 2.5-3-3-7 Single Channel (64bits) I ran 4 tests of Test #5, first two modules installed: Errors | First error | Last error Pass 0: 16 | 297,7MB | 512,0MB Pass 1: 4 | 264,9MB | 510,1MB Pass 2: 10 | 294,7MB | 512,3MB Pass 3: 10 | 298,7MB | 512,5MB then the second round of tests, i swapped both modules: Errors | First error | Last error Pass 0: 36 | 399,1MB | 511,3MB Pass 1: 64 | unknown | 512,1MB Pass 2: 54 | unknown | 512,4MB Pass 3: 50 | unknown | 512,5MB Are my settings in the BIOS wrong? Is my second memory slot mayb broken? Is the memory not ok? all help is welcome :)

If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter which slot you stick the memory (1 or 2 sticks in any slot) so it sounds like it could be a power issue. If not, probably the mobo is bad. Stupid question: Did you try the second stick by itself? Might just be a bad stick....

[quote name='FireWorm71']If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter which slot you stick the memory (1 or 2 sticks in any slot) so it sounds like it could be a power issue. If not, probably the mobo is bad. Stupid question: Did you try the second stick by itself? Might just be a bad stick....[/QUOTE] when i run the test with one memory stick installed it i get no errors. this goes for both sticks. the errors only occur right after i install a second memory stick. (doesn't matter which order i put them in)

Errors in Test 5 generally mean a CPU error, although when you get errors only when both sticks are in, I'd guess that the memory controller on your chipset may be going bad. I'd try them in a different board to be safe, and if possible other memory in your system.

[quote name='Wired']Errors in Test 5 generally mean a CPU error, although when you get errors only when both sticks are in, I'd guess that the memory controller on your chipset may be going bad. I'd try them in a different board to be safe, and if possible other memory in your system.[/QUOTE] i didn't know i could put a stick in slot 1 and 3. leaving slot 2 emtpy! that's what i did now and started testing again. no errors now! the only thing i see that has changed is that now it says DUAL CHANNEL, instead of SINGLE. is it always better to have it dual then single? i never knew i could set it up like this :) also i did test with slots 2 and 3 (leaving slot 1 emtpy)......no errors. so i still think its the combination of slot 1 and 2 being filled, that gives errors. next week orso i'll be able to test my memory on another mobo. and also test other memory in my mobo. and i hope to prove that its something wrong with my mobo. thanks so far!

Archived