Corsair Community

H80 Backplate too loose

Drumred

Others have the same problem but I have not read a solution. The screws that hold the backplate to the motherboard can not be tightened. If I go and install the H80 Pump it will never sit tight against the CPU allowing the CPU to overheat. I have written to Corsair without an answer. I hope someone has a solution. Thanks.

Asus P8P67 Motherboard

1155 CPU

The screws that hold the backplate are as tight as they can be. SO if I attach the block (cooler) and use the supplied bolts to tighten the block firmly on the screws to the CPU there is still going to be that looseness because of the backplate that will never allow the H80 Cooler to sit tightly against the CPU.

If I am missing something please let me know.

PS What about plastic washers to space between the backplate and motherboard.

The screws that hold the backplate are as tight as they can be. SO if I attach the block (cooler) and use the supplied bolts to tighten the block firmly on the screws to the CPU there is still going to be that looseness because of the backplate that will never allow the H80 Cooler to sit tightly against the CPU.

No, this is not correct. Just follow the instructions. Watch the video linked to the H100. The block mounting is the same. The back plate does not have to be tight against the motherboard.

You are probably right that it will tighten down but I needed to have the backplate tight in the same way as when I installed an H70 last year.

Purchased plastic washers from Home Depot. Perfectly snug now.

Flat Nylon Washer by Crown #10 4.8.

You are probably right that it will tighten down.......

Glad to see you have it sorted but, there is no "probably" to it. This is how it is designed to mount and it works perfectly. The standoffs are meant to be loose so that you do not have the combination of the standoffs screwing into the back plate pinching the MOBO. Putting washers on either side may in fact cause issues and is NOT recommended.

Be sure that you DO NOT put washers under the standoffs on the front side of the MOBO. This will change the height of the standoff and therefore change the amount of pressure the cooling block has against the CPU heat spreader. Too much or too little pressure is BAD. Washers on the back side, as noted above may cause the standoff to tighten unnecessarily against the front side of the MOBO and damage.

Alter the mounting procedure at your own risk.

i was wondering the same thing when i installed the h80 to my case, lucky me that i give it a tough a moment and came straight here to check has anyone posted about it, and then i found i did worry about for nothing, nothing to be afraid about the looseness cus its designed that way, and no i did not use washers or anything, just like instructions says, and for every one who is wondering

YES, after you install the actual block and put the fingerscrews and tighten them, the holl package will be solid as a rock, wont move even a inch, just perfect.... still this is my first water cooling ever, still kinda scared cus i have no experince for these, but here we go, first boot try, lets see what happens

• 1 month later...

I have almost the same problem. It does not sit tightly, every time I started my computer fans speeding so fast after a few seconds it goes down to normal. I applied the Arctic Silver 5 number of times so when I removed the H80 I saw the TIM was not pressed all the CPU surface only part of the cpu is give pressured.Most interesting thing is when I used the Prime95 test the maximum temp was 61. Today I reapplied the TIM and very carefully I installed the H80. Since then the temp goes down to Max 40 c before it was 46c normally. But the speeding fan on start up is almost same.

I installed so many CPU heatsinks and I never ever have this partially pressed TIM on my CPU. Before this H80 I used H50, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and Asus Triton 88.

Just like Drumred said I am also thinking about this looseness may give this partially pressure on the CPU.

Please provide me some tips to install H80 properly, I watched the installation VDO number of times but it does not make any sense on this problem for me.

Just like Drumred said I am also thinking about this looseness may give this partially pressure on the CPU.

Drumred is incorrect, please ignore his posts. IF you install the unit and tighten the knurled nuts with firm finger pressure, the unit will work fine.

Ram Guy , under 40c is normal use right now it is minimum 36 to maximum 40C most of the time it is 37/38C. Now I use WMP and downloading some files. When I used the Prime 95 the maximum was around 60C. I think my problem was TIM application and tightening the screws. I used screwdriver before and I did not care much about it. The installation I use now is hand tight.

I can't agree the backplate is meant to be loose. If the screw is sitting higher than the motherboard there's no way tightening the thumb screws will set the cooling block tight against the cpu. I have removed the block and there's no disturbance apart from a tiny corner on the TIM. This can't be right? The cpu with a layer of TIM has to have a good all over contact with the heatsink or cooling block. Pointless saying otherwise! If I can't get a good contact with the cpu there's no way the cooler can work properly. If its designed this way then its a pretty shoddy piece of engineering, and as someone who has worked for British Engines in the past I think I have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Update 26/05/2012

I contacted Corsair and went through a whole series of try this, check that and it started to get silly.

They decided I needed a new universal backplate.

The backplate is no different in any way to the original one that came in the H60 box.

The threaded part still comes past the level of my motherboard.

This means I can't screw down the block far enough to get a good connection with the cpu.

I know what the solution is...... I need to get some plastic washers to take up the space as previous other users have found.

At this point the cooler is unusable until I get 4 plastic washers.

Ohh, I also now have a spare H60/80/100 universal backplate :)

Jinker

The cpu with a layer of TIM has to have a good all over contact with the heatsink or cooling block. Pointless saying otherwise! If I can't get a good contact with the cpu there's no way the cooler can work properly.

Jinker

Yes of course you are right.

I applied the TIM all over the contact surface of the CPU however after I lapped the cooling block there is no way to know the TIM is still spread all over the surface between the the cooling block and the CPU. From my experiences this cooling block is the biggest I have ever used so tightening the screw will be one of the keys to lap the cooling block properly. On the other hand speeding fan is also may be the sign of wrong application of TIM and Cooling block i think. The first couple of times when I reinstalled it and then I found the TIM was consolidated to one side of the CPU and Cooling Block surface and the small parts of the CPU and Cooling block was very clean no stain of the TIM it means when the CPU getting hot and the TIM consolidated to one side i guessed.

My CPU socket is LGA 1366 there is also possible mistake due to the adjustable screw hole. In my case carefulness of these holes and the tightening screws was the solution of my problems. I am not an expert so I do not like to reapplied the TIM again even though I would like to see the condition of the TIM how it is spread on the CPU and Cooling Block surfaces.

English is not easy for me, sorry.

Yes of course you are right.

I applied the TIM all over the contact surface of the CPU however after I lapped the cooling block there is no way to know the TIM is still spread all over the surface between the the cooling block and the CPU. From my experiences this cooling block is the biggest I have ever used so tightening the screw will be one of the keys to lap the cooling block properly. On the other hand speeding fan is also may be the sign of wrong application of TIM and Cooling block i think. The first couple of times when I reinstalled it and then I found the TIM was consolidated to one side of the CPU and Cooling Block surface and the small parts of the CPU and Cooling block was very clean no stain of the TIM it means when the CPU getting hot and the TIM consolidated to one side i guessed.

My CPU socket is LGA 1366 there is also possible mistake due to the adjustable screw hole. In my case carefulness of these holes and the tightening screws was the solution of my problems. I am not an expert so I do not like to reapplied the TIM again even though I would like to see the condition of the TIM how it is spread on the CPU and Cooling Block surfaces.

English is not easy for me, sorry.

I'm using this on a gigabyte 1155 motherboard and my problem is the hex screw with the same thread either side (in answer to the other posts suggestion) won't tighten up properly, probably because the mobo is too thin. The cooler is making very little contact with the cpu regardless of what i've tried. I see the H60 works for others but as i said; i can't get a good contact with the cpu under the existing arrangement so i will probably just use my arctic 7 pro for now as the 2500k isn't that bad a chip for cooling. Disappointing though that my first attempt to use water cooling is so problematic.

I can't agree the backplate is meant to be loose. If the screw is sitting higher than the motherboard there's no way tightening the thumb screws will set the cooling block tight against the cpu. I have removed the block and there's no disturbance apart from a tiny corner on the TIM. This can't be right? The cpu with a layer of TIM has to have a good all over contact with the heatsink or cooling block. Pointless saying otherwise! If I can't get a good contact with the cpu there's no way the cooler can work properly. If its designed this way then its a pretty shoddy piece of engineering, and as someone who has worked for British Engines in the past I think I have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Jinker

Why would the back plate need to be tight before tightening the nuts onto the screws? All it is, is an anchor point for the 4 screws. When the 4 screws are tightened, the cooling block is help firmly against the CPU and the back plate is tight because it is the anchor point.

Use a straight such as a razor blade or drawing instrument and see if the spreader on your CPU is concave and see if your H80 block is flat also.

Why would the back plate need to be tight before tightening the nuts onto the screws? All it is, is an anchor point for the 4 screws. When the 4 screws are tightened, the cooling block is help firmly against the CPU and the back plate is tight because it is the anchor point.

Use a straight such as a razor blade or drawing instrument and see if the spreader on your CPU is concave and see if your H80 block is flat also.

The cpu heat spreader isn't the problem nor is it the H60 cooler block.

The problem is the screws can't be tightened far enough down the threaded sleeve on the four mounting points at the corners of the back plate which is actually protruding above the surface of the mother board.....The screw block with the screw threads either end doesn't sit properly against the board and this causes the cpu cooler to sit too high. You can only screw the thumb screws down so far then the middle hex piece stops it going any further. If there is play on the back plate and you can't screw the cooler down far enough you can't get a good contact with the cpu, meaning the tim is undisturbed. No proper contact with the CPU/TIM = No Cooling. I understand what you're saying, and in most cases there will be enough play to allow the cooling block to pull down tighly but in my case I can't get the contact I need for the cooler to work properly.

Others are reporting similar problems so this isn't something that's just happening to me.

Jinker

There seems to be a trend lately towards thinner mother boards, although that is not a given with every board. If a user still does not find adequate contact after tightening the thumb nuts, a quick fix is inserting washers under the spacers and insulator on the backplate. The four plastic spacers on the backplate can be removed, and a washer is then placed onto the backplate nut, under the insulator, and the spacer in then put back on the nut.

When the pump mounting standoffs are then tightened down, they will contact the mother board, and the backplate won't be loose. We've been recommending this little mod for a while now for thin boards, and it works just fine.

I have to agree that installing the H80 was one of the scariest parts of my build. And it would have been nice for Corsair to indicate that the backplate does not have to be snug fit for proper installation. This gave me a little heartburn as well. Just suck it up and install and you will see that after installing the thumb screws that the heat sink is pressed firmly against the cpu/ihs with no wobble. My H80 has been running like a champ for a few days and keeping my cpu nice and cool :)

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, half of the TIM is untouched though i tightened the screws tight and diagonally...

Two of the backplate mounts that stick trought the motherboard sit higher than the motherboard thus when the block is tightened to the cpu it will sit crooked and wont cover the whole cpu leaving the TIM untouched. So the problem is not the the backplate is too loose, its the unstandard mounts. I guess i will have to get some plastic spacers. Im not dissing the corsair h series but its been a drag: speed profiles wont work with pvm fans. the pump is making noises - i have to set up the diode fix, and then ofcourse there's the noise, i have the most silent fans i could get.. but the air going through the radiator is making a lot of noise, i guess im gonna have to get some low cfm fans to silence it a little bit. A few times the cooling system wouldnt even start, good thing i noticed the lack of NOISE and reacted so it didnt cook my cpu.

Im just hoping that there will be a version 2 or a new and better batch of them coming out, so WHEN i need the RMA i would get a more quality product.

Owner of the H80.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that what Yellowbeard wants to say is that, if you find this:

Then it's expected to be like that.

Right?

Pictures showing the a small gap between the standoff and the motherboard:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4614/img6189ab.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9862/img6188av.jpg

Off course when installed that gap will be visible:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6047/img6191a.jpg

Why not use a washer:

If you add a washer under or above the standoff (between standoff and motherboard or standoff and CPU block bracket) when CPU block sits in place t will stand higher than it's designed to be and that can cause problems because there will be bad contact with the CPU heatspreader.

Archived