Corsair Community

SK8V 3 gb Ram

douglasarthur

hi...i sold my old ram and bought 2gb of twinx2048re-3200 and 1gb of twinx1024re-3200LL hoping that I could have 3gbs of ram....I asked the vendor if this was compatible and he said without a doubt...however I put the ram in and it says "mismatched timing" system halted....I cant get into bios.... I am new to manually setting the latency on the ram....I am assuming I need to put the correct numbers in somewhere to get this thing running with 3gb. sk8v fx51 thanks for the help :roll: doug [url]www.douglasarthur.com[/url]

Ok here are the settings i put in the bios after viewing the forums... MemClock Mode [Limit} MemClock to CPU Ratio [1:1 (DDR 200) CAS Latency (CL) [2.0] TRC [Auto] TRFC [Auto] TRCD [3 CLK] TWR [Auto] TRWT [Auto] TRAS [6 CLK] TRP [2 CLK] DDR Voltage 2.7v The memclock if i put to 2:1 like I see others doing I get an overclocking error... So anyways I thought these settings would make all 4 of my modules timed at the same speed...they work seperately (in pairs) with these settings however when all 4 are used I still get the mismatch timing error on post. I am beginning to think that its just meant for me to have only 2gb of ram....which sucks for the work I do. Doug

• Corsair Employee
Twinx1024RE-3200LL Rated at Cass 2-3-2-6 _____________________________________Not Compatible Twinx1024RE-3200 Rated at Cass 3-3-3-8 ------------------------------------------Compatible Twinx2048RE-3200 Rated at Cass 3-3-3-8 You cannot mix memory that has different timings with this chipset!

• 2 weeks later...
So you mean to say that Corsair does not make a CASE 2 RAM set for the 2048 modules? i.e. Twinx2048RE-3200 (they have, which is 2 1024 pieces) Cass 3-3-3-8 Twinx2048RE-3200LL (they [B]DON'T[/B] have, which is 2 1024 pieces) 2-3-2-6 The ASUS manual for the SK8V says that it can hold up to 8GB of system memory. However wouldn't that require each of the 4 modules to be 2048 to make it 8GB? Yet I don't see Corsair or others offering any true 2048 modules. Using the naming convention they have I would have to think it would be something like Twinx4096RE-3200 or Twinx4096RE-3200LL So I have to step down to CASE 3 and get rid of my CMX512RE-3200 pair to switch to the CMX1024RE-3200 and thus only have 2GB instead of 3GB System is an Alienware Aurora w AMD FX-53 So according to Alienware to get the faster CASE 2 RAM you can only go to 2GB max filling all slots with [COLOR=Red]2GB Extreme Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz - 4 x 512MB[/COLOR] I really wish someone would have pointed this out sooner. Am I missing something here or do you have another suggestion. Thanks for your time.

• 2 weeks later...
That really sucks though. Would be great to have 8GB @DDR400 and Low Latency Too bad ASUS and Alienware make no mention of this when they sell their products. I (and I assume others) have to find this out on our own the hard way. Perhaps CORSAIR could put up a small warning to alert users of this potential issue before they buy RAM.

• Corsair Employee
Well actually you can still run at DDR400 but you would need to set 2t Command rate to Auto and it should be able to run with 4 modules at DDR400! However, we only guarantee one set of Twinx sets at the tested settings and that is posted on the Data sheet for the modules!

Archived