Corsair Community

Afraid to purchase 800D, it does not provide basic features of 2012

Zzz

Hi guys.

The basic things I am after:

- Quiet full-tower case, made for water cooling.

- Provides state of the art tool-free, hot-swap, cable-routing, and internal details.

- Supports a 120mm triple radiator up top, with 3 fans.

- Easily supports a 120mm triple radiator up top, with 6 fans in Push-Pull configuration.

- You can remove the fan grilles so there is no air impedance in between Push and Pull fans up top.

- Supports Water cooled CPU + Water cooled GPU configuration (Complex loop)

- Supports Water cooled CPU + Air cooled GPU configuration (Simple loop or Sealed CPU cooler)

Now, after having researched the Corsair 800D extensively, I am just afraid to buy it. Here's what I have learned:

- There is not enough space in the radiator section up top for a Push-Pull configuration, even with fans that aren't oversized.

In videos and posts I have seen, people are *cutting* their 800D up just to fit the fans!

If I have paid so much money for a case, why haven't you considered the details of basic cooling configurations people are using in the real world?

I am paying for you to think of this! I now need to modify this case? Purchase tools that can cut it properly for Push-Pull like they do on Youtube?

And with a case this large and gigantic, how can there NOT be room up there?

You make a giant case, then forget to measure out the tiny extra amount needed for proper mounting of fans on radiators?

Oh!!!! And people are purchasing these KOOLANCE Shrouds to mount on top of the 800D so that it can fit their Push-Pull radiator setups. How nuts, attaching a piggyback unit to compensate Corsairs design and space problems?

- XSPC Rasa RS360 kits are a perfect match for an 800D. I wanted a reliable and simple purchase for a water cooling kit, with a simplified loop to cool my CPU --

Reservoir direct to CPU, clean and simple, no crazy GPU pipe routing, etc. I have a good EVGA Classified 560Ti Graphics card that has dual fans on it.

I paid extra for the dual fans to keep it cool and quiet!

BUT! Now I need to rip my EVGA up, and switch to water cooling for the GPU, and buy a GPU block, because the Corsair 800D cannot even deliver quality thermal performance near to GPU section of the case for air-cooled GPUs? In the threads and posts I have researched, the GPU is getting very hot.

Sealed CPU coolers are becoming very common, with Corsair even shipping their own Sealed water coolers. And yet the GPU will overheat if we try to use a 800D with a Sealed-water cooler kit for the CPU, and regular cooling for GPU?

All I wanted was a good Full Tower case that supports Push-Pull 6x120mm, Water-cooling my CPU, and Air-cooling my GPU.

I just keep checking the hardware sites and avoiding purchasing the Corsair 800D -- it seems like an outdated product that will be replaced by something that actually considers my basic needs of watercooling?

Best regards, Please help and I appreciate any input,

- Zzz

Also, go to the EVGA forums - you'll find out pretty quick that the dual-fan cooler of the Classified isn't particularly cool or quiet in any application.

I have a reference single-fan EVGA GTX580 SC and a DS dual-fan EVGA GTX580 SC in SLI in my rig.

There's no appreciable difference between the 2 - verified by testing them singly before SLI-ing them together.

The EVGA DS cooling shroud is identical between your GTX560Ti Classified and my DS GPU.

DS stands for DoubleShot, and it has been endlessly debated what the desired effect was to be in the end, because there are plenty of reports of excessive heat and noise from the design.

It takes in cool air and exhausts it after heating it up back into the case - whereas the original single-fan models are more of a rear (outside the case) exhaust type.

If you modded the 800 side panel to exhaust along the GPU area, it would help with temps, and remember to modify your fan profile using EVGA Precision or Afterburner to find a happy medium between heat and noise.

The default fan speed settings are less than perfect. I have improved my situation quite a bit - it's still a little loud, but cooler than before.

Of course, I have a different case than you, but it's much smaller and quite cramped inside - and to lessen noise I actually replaced my side panel with one that has a solid side window.

I have mildly modified my case so that it has 2x140mm front intakes and a 120mm additional fan just in front of my GPUs to speed up airflow and focus it on them. Also, a top 140mm exhaust and my rear exhaust location has my Corsair H60 with 2x120mm fans in push/pull.

BTW - the only reason I bought a DS for my second GPU is that I got a 3 month-old one for an unbelievable price from a friend. I would have bought a regular single-fan 580 if I was willing to spend $350-$450...

HTH!

the new usb 3.0 front panel also will not plug into the mb pin connector. :mad:

corsair support told me to route the cables out to the rear panel, because they had no product solution (totally defeating the nice cable management.:confused:)

a quick search on the good old chicken website gave me the part i needed for an extra 15 bucks. :sigh!:

since when does the 800d not support push/pull rad up top? it definately fits an H100 with push/pull 25mm fans, and some extra for gasketing.

If you meant to say it needs to fit thicket radiators, that's another matter i suppose.

It may be possible to fit a Push-Pull setup inside of the 800d if you get lucky. I have seen pictures where a guy managed to cram one inside the 800d, and the fans were hanging out over the motherboard and flush up against his components -- there was no space at all and he just got lucky.

The key point here: its not like Corsair actually put consideration into this, and I doubt if their engineers ever even tried mounting common setups like this inside the case.

It may be possible to fit a Push-Pull setup inside of the 800d if you get lucky. I have seen pictures where a guy managed to cram one inside the 800d, and the fans were hanging out over the motherboard and flush up against his components -- there was no space at all and he just got lucky.

The key point here: its not like Corsair actually put consideration into this, and I doubt if their engineers ever even tried mounting common setups like this inside the case.

As mentioned earlier in the thread the case is a 2-3 year old design at least , things move on . Most of the shortcomings can be dealt with with the 800d cheaply and easily as its been out a while , google is your friend . I've had mine for a few years now and its fine and handles any change i wanna make to it .

Hi guys.

The basic things I am after:

- Quiet full-tower case, made for water cooling.

- Provides state of the art tool-free, hot-swap, cable-routing, and internal details.

- Supports a 120mm triple radiator up top, with 3 fans.

- Easily supports a 120mm triple radiator up top, with 6 fans in Push-Pull configuration.

- You can remove the fan grilles so there is no air impedance in between Push and Pull fans up top.

- Supports Water cooled CPU + Water cooled GPU configuration (Complex loop)

- Supports Water cooled CPU + Air cooled GPU configuration (Simple loop or Sealed CPU cooler)

Now, after having researched the Corsair 800D extensively, I am just afraid to buy it. Here's what I have learned:

- There is not enough space in the radiator section up top for a Push-Pull configuration, even with fans that aren't oversized.

In videos and posts I have seen, people are *cutting* their 800D up just to fit the fans!

There is plenty of room for a push pull setup with the RS360 rad, I have a double rad and there's still enough room for slimline fan's with normal fans in push pull.. iirc my rad is 63mm wide

• 2 months later...

There is lots of room on top of the case to do a push pull setup with a H100.

The video shows it.

Archived