Corsair Community

H100 fan stuck on full speed

stuart612

Hi,

I've been using the H100 for a few weeks now. It worked great when I first got it. Now, one of the fans only runs at full speed, so it's a bit loud!

It's definately the fan. It's the same no matter what port I plug it in to, or if it's the only fan plugged in, it's still at full speed. The other fan continues to change speed normally.

I've tried resetting the firmware - no joy.

Any suggestions to remedy would be great!

Many thanks,

Stuart

Sorry, neglected to mention I had tried that.

You can reset the firmware with the procedure outlined in a sticky post at the top of the Cooling forum page: Please Read If You Are Having Fan Controller Issues on H100.

If that does not solve the problem, you may need to RMA your H100.

As above. Would I need to RMA the whole unit or just the fan? I already RMA'd one H100 back to the retailer as it was leaking on arrival - don't really want to go thru the whole RMA process again.

Thanks for your input so far.

It's probably not the fan, but it's easy to test the fan by connecting it to another fan header on your mother board for example, and see if you can change it's speed with your boards fan control software. Or try a separate fan speed controller if you have one.

The fan is just a typical three pin fan, not a PWM type. Unfortunately, with issues like this, it's usually the H100 controller that is the problem.

It's probably not the fan, but it's easy to test the fan by connecting it to another fan header on your mother board for example, and see if you can change it's speed with your boards fan control software. Or try a separate fan speed controller if you have one.

The fan is just a typical three pin fan, not a PWM type. Unfortunately, with issues like this, it's usually the H100 controller that is the problem.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty certain it is the fan. If the functional fan is the only fan plugged in, it works perfectly. If I unplug that fan, and plug in the defective fan into the same slot as the functional fan was plugged into, the fan works at full speed.

I'll buy a cheap fan to say for sure, before requesting RMA.

I have an Asus P7P55D - what software could I use to test the defective fan?

Many thanks,

Stuart

Same thing happened too me Fan constantly ran at high speeds no matter what setting it was on, had to finally resort to rewiring the fan pins to my fan controller on the 600t while I waited for the another h100 to come, and then.... pump noise. Corsair has really failed me on this one.

Archived