Corsair Community

H100 Fan speeds cycling up, down, and off.

GSMenace

Two inside fans(bottom inside case and radiator, fans set to push out) are cycling up and down on RPM and sometimes completely off on RPM. They are plugged into the control positions 1 & 2. Two outside fans (between radiator and case set to pull air from radiator) are plugged into 3 & 4 positions on the controller. All are three wire fans and are the exact same fans. Fans 3&4 on the outside appear to be cycling just as much. When I power the system off and back on all four fans appear to run at full speed then after about maybe 5 seconds go back to cycling. All four fans appear to cycle independently of each other. Also, when I plugged the two Corsair fans into the system I had same problems with them.

I just purchased 5 fans from Scythe. I installed 4 (I have 5)Schythe Model #SY1212SL12H, each have voltage of 12v, rated current 0.25A, with a rated fan speed of 2000rpm+/- 10% They start up at full speed and than cycle from approximately 30 to 40% speed to off. CPU never gets hot. I am wanting to use the slimmer fans for the extra room in the case they provide. Set up with push and pull I figured it would draw plenty of air.

I am cooling an Intel I7 Core 2600K processor set to 3990.95Mhz. Temps run at idle 23,30,25,27 degrees C. (Cores 1 thru 4 respectively) Core two always runs higher than the other cores by 5 to 6 degrees C at idle. Running Prime95 (position 3 on controller)I get 52,60,62,57c. #1 and #3 fans pick up speed maybe 90% (no way to measure other than listening, feeling, and watching fan blades) and appear to work better. #2 and #4 still cycling same as before. #2 may not be stopping completely as much as #4 seems to be.

Is this the way it is suppose to work? Does the controller control each fan independently depending on temps of CPU?

I did not see much difference when selecting mode 1, 2 or 3. Using button and light on controller,temps higher at 1st setting, running between 65 and 70c fans do slowed down with the lower mode setting. The 2nd mode position,fans may pick up speed a little, temps down a little. 3rd setting three lights temps back to what I had earlier between 52 and 62c. Fans cycling on all three settings. More so on setting 1 and 2. This is all while running prime95 loading CPU and power to 100% utilization.

With no load on CPU, fans barely appear to run. Cycling rpm from a low speed to off on all four fans. Temps 22,30,25,24c.

Should I put these fans on a different controller and run them manually or is this correct behavior, or do I have a problem with this controller?

Tech response:

There is no plug in sequence for the fans. The fans should start up at full speed then scale down to the correct RPM based on the coolant temp. The controller can only provide up to max 4amp, that is 1amp each if you have four fans connected. Please check the fan spec and make sure they are not > 1amp each. Thank you.

My response to Corsair Tech Support:

I sent Scythe support a request for total amp draw on these fans.

Specs for this fan indicates 0.25 amps. 4 fans total, should be 2amps, well below 4amps max capability of the H100 controller.

Does the H100 Controller send signal (amps) to each fan independently based on temp along? (varying amps up and down to vary fan speed) Or do they run at RPM set by the controller switch, depending on position 1, 2,or 3?

I thought that they (all 4 fans) would run at the slowest RPM on controller selection 1. On controller selection 2 medium RPM. and than on controller selection 3 they should run at 2000rpm. There max rated speed.

At no time will they run up and down in RPM depending on temp. Is this correct?

Does the controller sending out amp variations to each fan at each selected position depending on temp of CPU?

I assume the H100 controller controls fan speed by the the selected position on the controller only.

I would like to contact Scythe and find out if there fans will work at the amp outputs that your controller uses. Please give me the amp outputs for each of the three positions for the H100 controller

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Subject: H100 Fan problem

Two inside fans(bottom inside case and radiator, fans set to push out) are cycling up and down on RPM and sometimes completely off on RPM. They are plugged into the control positions 1 & 2. Two outside fans (between radiator and case set to pull air from radiator) are plugged into 3 & 4 positions on the controller. All are three wire fans and are the exact same fans. Fans 3&4 on the outside appear to be cycling just as much. When I power the system off and back on all four fans appear to run at full speed then after about maybe 5 seconds go back to cycling. All four fans appear to cycle independently of each other. Also, when I plugged the two Corsair fans into the system I had same problems with them.

I just purchased 5 fans from Scythe. I installed 4 (I have 5)Schythe Model #SY1212SL12H, each have voltage of 12v, rated current 0.25A, with a rated fan speed of 2000rpm+/- 10% They start up at full speed and than cycle from approximately 30 to 40% speed to off. CPU never gets hot. I am wanting to use the slimmer fans for the extra room in the case they provide. Set up with push and pull I figured it would draw plenty of air.

I am cooling an Intel I7 Core 2600K processor set to 3990.95Mhz. Temps run at idle 23,30,25,27 degrees C. (Cores 1 thru 4 respectively) Core two always runs higher than the other cores by 5 to 6 degrees C at idle. Running Prime95 (position 3 on controller)I get 52,60,62,57c. #1 and #3 fans pick up speed maybe 90% (no way to measure other than listening, feeling, and watching fan blades) and appear to work better. #2 and #4 still cycling same as before. #2 may not be stopping completely as much as #4 seems to be.

Is this the way it is suppose to work? Does the controller control each fan independently depending on temps of CPU?

I did not see much difference when selecting mode 1, 2 or 3. Using button and light on controller,temps higher at 1st setting, running between 65 and 70c fans do slowed down with the lower mode setting. The 2nd mode position,fans may pick up speed a little, temps down a little. 3rd setting three lights temps back to what I had earlier between 52 and 62c. Fans cycling on all three settings. More so on setting 1 and 2. This is all while running prime95 loading CPU and power to 100% utilization.

With no load on CPU, fans barely appear to run. Cycling rpm from a low speed to off on all four fans. Temps 22,30,25,24c.

Should I put these fans on a different controller and run them manually or is this correct behavior, or do I have a problem with this controller?

Quiet - Minimum noise profile - LED 1 - 900 rpm with upper fan limit set to 1300 RPM

Balanced - Default performance Profile. Will operate fans to balance thermal performance and acoustic noise - LED 2 - 1300 rpm to 2000 rpm

Performance - Maximum cooling performance profile - LED 3 - 1600 rpm to 2700 rpm

The above answer's some of my questions.

Still it does not clarify why the fans operate independently in RPM and shut down totally at times.

Reading this chart I am still left to wonder whats up with my set up.

I have four fans that are cycling RPM's indepently of each other sometimes going completely off. They all four come on at full speed when I first power the computer on and they are all rated to run at 0.25 amps. Well below the 4 amp maximum of the H100 controller.

Played with fans today appear to work fine without scythe fans installed

Decided to just run system with just the two Corsair fans that it came with works fine that way I think.

CPU gets pretty warm (60 degress C or better) before fluid temp goes up enough to start spinning the fans faster.

Tried four fans two Corsair and two Rosewill appeared to work ok

Guess it doesn't like the Scythe Slim Fans

With the Scythe fans installed they would cycle RPM's anywhere from zero to maybe 1000rpm's. On cold reboot they would run at their rated 2,000rpm's All four fans would run at differnet rpms at the same time. One might be at zero and the other 3 at varying RPM's.

I have given up on the Scythe fans working with the H100.

I took the Scythe fans out of the box and am now using the two Corsair fans that came with the H100. At loads of 90% approx. after about an hour the two fans appear to be running aroun 1800-1900 rpm maybe hard to tell without RPM guage. The RPM seems pretty steady with the controller set to the performance position.

Temps using infrared thermometer indicate the radiator is at 28.1 and 29.6 with CPU temp at 56c(motherboard utility).

Hard to scale fluid temps up much more than this due to radiator keeping cpu temps down.

Even at 100 work load using Prime95 to load CPU can't get temps much pass the 60c mark. Only time I have noticed the two Corsair fans at full speed is when the computer first powers on.

Is this is the way it is suppose to work?

unfortunately for me I am forced to use 4 fans, 2 from the h100 and 2 from the h70 that I replaced, it takes 4 fans just to match the temps I was getting with the h70, I attribute that to how pathetically weak the pump is and probably half the coolant the h70 has. Seeing as I have more room in my case than I need I might just try the res mod for the h100, worst case scenario is I'm out $100 bucks but if I find another backplate for the h70 I can just go back to that and be much wiser on my next purchase unless some serious quality issues are resolved.

With the Scythe fans installed...

Is this is the way it is suppose to work?

Yes, and your max temps are good, don't you think? Controlling the speed of three pin fans via software seems to be a difficult task, and the H100's controller is tuned for it's stock fans. Using other fans with it becomes a gamble whether or not they will work correctly. Your experience with the Scythe fans is exactly what others have experienced when using some of the many fans available.

Although Corsair does not say you can't use other fans with a H100, etc, they really don't say that you can.

Although Corsair does not say you can't use other fans with a H100, etc, they really don't say that you can.

Well in real life it's pretty rare to find a fan controller that cannot handle basically any (decent) fan you slap onto it. I mean, how hard is it to make a normal fan controller? In my opinion you'd have to do some special tricks to make a fan controller UNcompatible with some fans. In any case, I never heard of ANY fan controller uncompatible with a Noiseblocker PL-2, or with a common Scythe fan.

Although this is less relevant then the above point, I must also point out the H100 comes with 4 free fan connectors and only 2 fans. The unit is meant to accommodate two extra fans. Nowhere is it stated that these two extra fans must be Corsair fans.

Archived