Corsair Community

H60 leaked

For reference, this is computer I'm talking about has the following.

Below all purchased 5/8/2010

1 x COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

1 x GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

1 x SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

1 x Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

2 x ******** 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

1 x ******** Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Following purchased 4/21/2011. The ram was for this same system, just upgrading. Both fans for the radiator

2 x ******** Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR

2 x COOLER MASTER Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm Case Fan

1 x CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I haven't actually used that computer for 3-4 months though it has been plugged in etc, but I had been thinking about it lately so I could do some boxing in games. Well, last night I smelled something funny and couldn't figure out what it was. A few hours later the computer was doing a funny fans rev up, fans turn off (and I definitely hadn't hit the power button, thinking back I'm guessing this was the power supply short circuiting). I tried hitting the power button but it wouldn't turn on, so I just hit the power switch on the power supply and hit the power switch on that power strip to make sure all power was removed.

Well, today I wanted to make sure the computer worked/figure out what the problem is. Hit power button, nothing happens (no fans, no lights, nothing). Bring it out to kitchen to take apart, open case, bam there is the smell again. I start taking it apart and really looking, it looks like the part that conects to the processor busted getting most things inside wet. My guess is that something inside that piece leaked letting pressure build up until it popped the top of slightly.

So, I guess I have 2 questions. Considering the computer is about 21 months old (10 months for radiator, fans, and ram), what is still covered by waranty, and it would it be covered in a situation like this? What is likely to work and what isn't? I'm guessing the power supply is trashed, and likely the motherboard, video card, and maybe processor?. I'd try to use a different power supply but the only other one I have laying around is a lot older and doesn't have the 8 pin for the motherboard.

Below are links to some pictures I took with my phone (sorry for quality and them being very big). I'd link them as images but I don't want to stretch peoples screens massively. Yes, the computer is a little dusty as I haven't touched it in a while. But in this case it kind of lets you see where it leaked. The top of the part that goes on the cpu was partially popped off, and I'm guessing that is where it all leaked from. I pulled it the rest of the way off to have a look, but I'm not really sure what it is supposed to look like so I can't really say.

http://www.eq2equilibrium.com/img/comp1.jpg

http://www.eq2equilibrium.com/img/comp2.jpg

http://www.eq2equilibrium.com/img/comp4.jpg

I had put in an RMA request yesterday shortly after reading your post and still haven't heard anything. I'm wondering if maybe I typo'd my email because I never got a confirmation that I sent it in or anything like that. Is that common?

Going back and looking now I see that you get a case number at the top of the page as you are filling it out, but I guess I missed that. I was more expecting a number after you hit submit or in an email confirming you sent a request in.

I'm kind of at a loss right now. If I'm reading this response right it is just a simple RMA for the H60, which is neither useful nor particularly desired. The one I had basically ruined the computer, why exactly would I want to send it back and get another one, for the computer that no longer works...

It also neither answers any of my other questions. It's just really sad when I can't even get a we're so sorry this happened. I just get an automated message to fill out an RMA form.

Archived