Corsair Community

Mounting H100 on Rampage IV Extreme

1vmo

I have read many threads on this subject on different sites and still have 1 question. Do I need to remove the stock mounting bracket and backplate on the Rampage IV extreme and replace them with the ones that come with the H100 or just install the mounting studs and pump? I have read that when using the stock mounts the cpu and pump will not make good contact and won't cool properly is this true? Thanks

Quick answer, your board has the ASUS X-socket. AFAIK, you can change the CPU mounting option to the standard 2011 socket built in CPU cooler mounting. If you change to that, and use the Corsair 2011 mounting studs (the ones with the one short threaded end) you should be fine. You don't need the Corsair backplate, or the ASUS X-socket backplate for that mounting option.

The point of the X-socket is to allow using CPU coolers designed for 1366 sockets. But the ASUS X-socket backplate for 1366 coolers is not compatible with the Corsair 1366 mounting option, as you've read, probably in the ASUS forum. I would not expect the Corsair 1366 backplate to work with a 2011 socket. But as I said, Corsair has the appropriate mounting studs for the 2011 socket, as long as you use the standard 2011 CPU cooler mounting configuration. You don't need a strong backplate with a H100 pump assembly, it is much lighter than any 1366 CPU cooler. The X-socket information should explain how to change to the standard socket 2011 CPU cooler "pad", as they call it.

Ok great, Alot of confusing information out there about mounting the H100 on the R IV Extreme and I didn't want to cook my 3930k and board. I have mounted the H100 using the stock backplate and corsair studs. The H100 went on with no problems and feels seated very firmly. Thanks for the help.

Sounds good, just check those CPU temps when you start it up the first time (as I'm sure you will) to ensure all is well.

It sounds like the info you read was accurate to the extent that the X-Socket did not work well with the H100's socket 1366 mounting option. Considering the tight tolerances required for any CPU cooler to have the correct pressure on the CPU, a generic back plate like the X-Socket can't possibly work with all CPU coolers and the different mounting systems they use. It's a good idea in theory, but IMO impossible to get right.

OK I mounted as per an email from RAM GUY using the stock 2011 back plate installed by ASUS and the 2011 mounting studs from Corsair. The cooling block fit with a little wiggling and secured fine. No problems on startup and at idle the MB is 30 degrees c and the cpu is 16 degrees c. at load in BF3 the mb is 39 and cpu is 23. Thanks to those who helped I appreciate it. 1vmo

Archived