Corsair Community

Cutting PCI-E cable 2 pin off?

casz

Is it safe to cut off the 2 pin and secure the wire?

And how would I go about secure the wire?

I have a few PCI-E cables (6 total, one being used now) from my first, second unit and soon to become third unit.

Doing some cleanup in the wiring :P

I'll be a rebel and reply. Frankly, if you don't know how to secure the wires, you aren't up to doing this.

This of course is done at YOUR OWN RISK, and is a warranty voiding procedure!!

Of course this may be done only on an UNCONNECTED modular cable, or on an UNPLUGGED, power switch OFF, and double checked UNPLUGGED non-modular PS.

If you mean cutting off the hanging two-wires and two-pin connector on them, right at the very end of the cable (NOT at the source/PS end, if a modular cable) right next to the six pin connector, then yes you could do that. You would also cut the wires close to where they come out of the sleeving, which would not leave wire ends to deal with.

The two wire ends MUST NOT be connected together, and MUST NOT be allowed to touch each other, or anything else that conducts electricity!!

The danger in this is how do you insulate the two exposed wire ends, even if only a tiny amount of copper is exposed. Epoxy glue would be the safest way, a dab on each wire end, for a start. Of course once cut, you're committed, no going back. You'll need to put a wrap or two of electrical tape over the wires to cover the ends, but that might ruin the "look". If a piece of heat shrink tubing will fit over the connector, and then shrunk into place with a heat gun, that will secure the wires and provide more insulation, really a requirement.

I'll be a rebel and reply. Frankly, if you don't know how to secure the wires, you aren't up to doing this.

Of course this may be done only on an UNCONNECTED modular cable, or on an UNPLUGGED, power switch OFF, and double checked UNPLUGGED non-modular PS.

If you mean cutting off the hanging two-wires and two-pin connector on them, right at the very end of the cable (NOT at the source/PS end, if a modular cable) right next to the six pin connector, then yes you could do that. You would also cut the wires close to where they come out of the sleeving, which would not leave wire ends to deal with.

The two wire ends MUST NOT be connected together, and MUST NOT be allowed to touch each other, or anything else that conducts electricity!!

The danger in this is how do you insulate the two exposed wire ends, even if only a tiny amount of copper is exposed. Epoxy glue would be the safest way, a dab on each wire end, for a start. Of course once cut, you're committed, no going back. You'll need to put a wrap or two of electrical tape over the wires to cover the ends, but that might ruin the "look". If a piece of heat shrink tubing will fit over the connector, and then shrunk into place with a heat gun, that will secure the wires and provide more insulation, really a requirement.

Also be sure NOT to cut both at the same time just in case the PSU hasn't fully discharged. Best to cut one and secure it , then move to the next.

Really , if you can live with them it's best to leave them though. It's not worth voiding the warranty over.

Some epoxies won't adhere well to the wire insulation. If you go that route, you'd be far better of picking up a small bottle of liquid plastic insulator from an electronics supply store or Radio Shack. Dab/paint it on and it creates a permanent seal. Once dry, you'd need a knife to carve it off. Far better than tape.

Not that I don't know how to secure wiring just wanted some tips on what to use.

Thanks for the tip :)

But a new video card that uses the extra two pins....

Is it safe to cut off the 2 pin and secure the wire?

And how would I go about secure the wire?

I have a few PCI-E cables (6 total, one being used now) from my first, second unit and soon to become third unit.

Doing some cleanup in the wiring :P

Yeah but I have 5 total PCI-E cables lying around I think I can spare a few!

I'd probably end up getting another Corsair PSU later so that's 7 :)

Get the corsair individually sleeved cables. Buy a PSU pin removal tool. Take out the two wires you don't neeed. Voila. =P

Archived