Corsair Community

A H100 p/p is no far better than an A70?

vziera

The chip is running@stock speed 3.33Ghz

Look at both minimum and maximum temps of my A70 below:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1999/benchs.jpg

Now compare it to both minimum and maximum temps of my H100 below:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/441/labamba2.jpg

The configuration being used is a push/pull of 2 stock fans + 2 Cougar PWM fans, The TIM is also stock:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4056/m2160004.jpg

Thougts? Is this H100 normal?

Kindly help with analyzation on this prob... :praise:

TVM in advance! :)

I get the same temps on i7 2600k in Turbo (3.8GHz) after some OCCT PSU stress, H100 in pull with two Gentle Typhoons AP-15, stock TIM.

The radiator is big, but no matter how many fans you duct tape to it, the pump is just too weak or the inner diameter of the tubes etc. is too small - the rad doesn't even get warm with fans on it, neither does the air that's blown out of it.

But many reviews and people have reported that their temps are only like 22*c idle and 40*c load :(:

Those temps with an i7-980? I find that very hard to believe!

Even with SpeedStep, C1E, and C-States power saving options on, idling at 22C (~72F) would be exceptional on an i7-980 with any CPU cooler. 100% load temps of 40C (~104F)? No, don't believe that.

I do see improvements in your temps compared to the A70. Are you using your H100 radiator in intake or exhaust mode?

If you're comparing temps to a different CPU, the comparison is not valid, apples and oranges as they say.

Those temps with an i7-980? I find that very hard to believe!

Even with SpeedStep, C1E, and C-States power saving options on, idling at 22C (~72F) would be exceptional on an i7-980 with any CPU cooler. 100% load temps of 40C (~104F)? No, don't believe that.

I do see improvements in your temps compared to the A70. Are you using your H100 radiator in intake or exhaust mode?

If you're comparing temps to a different CPU, the comparison is not valid, apples and oranges as they say.

Yhea, everything is@stock and the rad serves as a top exhaust + 2 200mm haf x fans, sound normal?

So your two '580 video cards are not a new addition, you used two of those with your A70 for the CPU? If so, that tells me the A70 is pretty darn good cooler too!

Usually, two high performance video cards like yours create a fair amount of heat inside any case, although not to much when CPU stress testing. So the air used by any air cooled CPU cooler will be warmer to start with. Same thing for a H100 running as exhaust, the warmer air inside the case limits the ultimate cooling ability of any liquid cooler.

It might be worth trying your H100 in intake mode, although it's a major change with your HAF case and it's two large exhaust fans. You could flip the two 200mm fans, or remove them (yikes! I do like large exhaust fans... my CM Sniper has one CM 200mm exhaust fan, I can only imagine two! Another case I have has two 200mm exhaust fans, and is all I need with a H60, but with a SB 95 watt TDP CPU) and flip the radiator fans for intake. But then the problem is what are you left with for exhaust, the one top rear fan? Not good when gaming with two hot cards. Which is why changing to intake on the H100 may lead to heat issues with your video cards.

Do you have the 5.25" bays in your case filled up or almost empty? If empty, you should get some decent air flow through that area, or change it so that you do. That way you'll get more cooler air coming in for the radiator set up for exhaust.

Overall, if those CPU temp numbers you mentioned are not for an i7-980 (which I doubt that they are, more likely an earlier generation AMD CPU) you can't compare yours with that. My i7-930 at idle, with all the CPU power saving features on (running at 1.6GHz) using a H60, push-pull, intake mode, the best temps I get is ~25C, in my CM case, and I think that is fantastic. With no OC, all stock CPU settings (memory is 1600, XMP), running Prime95 (turbo at a bit over 3.0GHz), I hit the low 50's C, which still surprises me it is that low. Add two more cores in your CPU, turbo up to 3.6GHz, how in the world can you hit only 40C?

Reverse the fans to try it as intake, might drop you some 1 or 2 degrees, but it won't be a revolution with such a heater of a CPU.

Thank you for your comment, I'll think about it :)

So your two '580 video cards are not a new addition, you used two of those with your A70 for the CPU? If so, that tells me the A70 is pretty darn good cooler too!

Usually, two high performance video cards like yours create a fair amount of heat inside any case, although not to much when CPU stress testing. So the air used by any air cooled CPU cooler will be warmer to start with. Same thing for a H100 running as exhaust, the warmer air inside the case limits the ultimate cooling ability of any liquid cooler.

It might be worth trying your H100 in intake mode, although it's a major change with your HAF case and it's two large exhaust fans. You could flip the two 200mm fans, or remove them (yikes! I do like large exhaust fans... my CM Sniper has one CM 200mm exhaust fan, I can only imagine two! Another case I have has two 200mm exhaust fans, and is all I need with a H60, but with a SB 95 watt TDP CPU) and flip the radiator fans for intake. But then the problem is what are you left with for exhaust, the one top rear fan? Not good when gaming with two hot cards. Which is why changing to intake on the H100 may lead to heat issues with your video cards.

Do you have the 5.25" bays in your case filled up or almost empty? If empty, you should get some decent air flow through that area, or change it so that you do. That way you'll get more cooler air coming in for the radiator set up for exhaust.

Overall, if those CPU temp numbers you mentioned are not for an i7-980 (which I doubt that they are, more likely an earlier generation AMD CPU) you can't compare yours with that. My i7-930 at idle, with all the CPU power saving features on (running at 1.6GHz) using a H60, push-pull, intake mode, the best temps I get is ~25C, in my CM case, and I think that is fantastic. With no OC, all stock CPU settings (memory is 1600, XMP), running Prime95 (turbo at a bit over 3.0GHz), I hit the low 50's C, which still surprises me it is that low. Add two more cores in your CPU, turbo up to 3.6GHz, how in the world can you hit only 40C?

I did use two GTX580s during my time with the A70 and the time I took the first screenshoot but now not anymore, only single reference GTX580 3gb(temp ~76C) with the haf x's gpu air duct on. Yes the A70 was nice, I miss it.

And honestly, changing all the top exhaust fans to intake would be such a PITA to me so I just hope it will be worth it, which somehow I doubt it would give a significant temp decrease. And my 5.25" bays are half-filled up.

And those CPU temp numbers I mentioned are for a stock I7 980X with all stock cpu settings. It idles at 1.6ghz as well. The only thing adjusted is my RAM, I set it to run at 1600mhz in reference to its specs(not even warm). And the other heat source is probably the X58 chipset(64*C), the highest temp I've gotten so far with my p/p h100 is 60*C when I ran prime95. Thoughts?

Thank you for your comment, I'll think about it :)

I did use two GTX580s during my time with the A70 and the time I took the first screenshoot but now not anymore, only single reference GTX580 3gb(temp ~76C) with the haf x's gpu air duct on. Yes the A70 was nice, I miss it.

And honestly, changing all the top exhaust fans to intake would be such a PITA to me so I just hope it will be worth it, which somehow I doubt it would give a significant temp decrease. And my 5.25" bays are half-filled up.

And those CPU temp numbers I mentioned are for a stock I7 980X with all stock cpu settings. It idles at 1.6ghz as well. The only thing adjusted is my RAM, I set it to run at 1600mhz in reference to its specs(not even warm). And the other heat source is probably the X58 chipset(64*C), the highest temp I've gotten so far with my p/p h100 is 60*C when I ran prime95. Thoughts?

Frankly, I don't think you should bother changing your current set up, it won't make that much difference and will introduce other issues. Such as, overheating video cards due to almost no exhaust of case air.

Take a look at this review of a H100 used with your CPU. While not tested with the CPU power saving options on, I think it's worth a look:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/corsair-h100_4.html#sect1

All X58's run rather warm, but how much real heat are they putting into the case compared to other components? Not much.

If you're reaching a max of 60C with your CPU stock, I'd say that is very good. I'd like to see the review or test showing an i7-980 idling at 20C.

Just my 2 cents here. These water coolers shine with high overclocks. Im guessing if u clocked that 980x up to 4.5ghz or so there would be a lot larger gap between the H100 and the A70. You also have the most optimal case for an air cooler (tons of air flow), not like it hurts the H100 having tons of airflow, but the A70 keeps up a lot more at stock with lots of airflow. Bottom line H100 shines at high clocks.

Archived