Corsair Community

A50 Fan Direction

gordoncanada

I did not know about fan direction when I installed the A50. I've got the fan pulling air into the cooler from the rear, directly opposite an exhaust fan that is pulling air in the opposite direction! That doesn't seem right, and may explain why I have high idle CPU temps (89 degrees for a core i7 2600k). Should I flip the fan so it pulls air across the cooler and pushes it out towards the exhaust fan, or reinstall the fan on the front (tight to the memory - it just fits if I remove two memory sticks for installation) so it pulls air in and blows it across the cooler, where it will come out the rear and be exhausted by the rear fan?

When I installed the A50 I figured the instructions would clarify any important details. They didn't talk about air direction at all, so I didn't pay any attention to it. Am I worrying needlessly? Does it matter?

Does it matter if the fan pulls air across the cooler or blows it across?

Thanks, gordoncanada

I guess I'm asking newbie questions, sorry.

I decided to put the fan on the front side of the A50 by the memory to suck air in and blow it across the CPU towards the rear exhaust fan. Ambient temperature went from 89 to 86. But now I only have room for three out of four memory sticks. I'll try putting the fan on the back again but flip it so it draws air across the CPU and out towards the exhaust fan. In case anyone's interested in this little experiment, I'll post the results .

gordoncanada

Well, it's not a noob-thing, the air cooled coolers like an A50 tend to get ignored in this forum over the H-series, that's all.

You didn't mention what case you have, which lets us know what your fan options are. When you say idle temps of 89, do you mean 89F, or 89C? If it's 89C, then you have problems. That would be a problem with the mounting of the A50, not the fan configuration.

Wait, I just read your post again. First and foremost, the A50's fan should be mounted to push/blow air over the A50's fins, not pull air over them. That is very important! Your first change must be to flip the A50's fan to push air over the A50's fins, all air coolers work that way.

With the A50's fan set up like that, then you can have the top-rear fan as exhaust, with the A50 fan pushing air toward the rear exhaust fan. Or if you have top exhaust fans, you could have the A50 pushing air up towards the top, and have the rear exhaust fan pulling air out too, which is the best set up for an air cooled CPU cooler.

Change that A50 fan for pushing air, tell us what case you have and it's fan options, and if that's 89F or 89C, and we'll take it from there.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced case with lots of fan options (but I don't trust water cooling), and I should have specified 89 degrees F (which went down to 86 after switching the fan to blow across). As I said, I lost a memory stick putting the fan to blow across. Will the cooler take up less lateral room if I reinstall it to blow up? Most importantly, will I have to change the orientation of the bracket that comes through from behind the motherboard? I'd hate to have to do that! Can the orientation of the A50 be changed from side to side to up and down without changing that main mounting bracket?

Thanks, gordoncanada

Haha I thought you were hitting 89 degrees celsius. 86 is only 30 degrees, I assume you are talking about idle temperatures then? What are your load temperatures?

I don't know your specific cooler, but normally any cooler can be switched without having to re-do the backplate, as the mounting points form a square, they are not in an oblong form.

BTW changing the backplate should not be hard on a 690 II, there's a big hole for that so you don't need to remove the motherboard.

Don't know what mobo, processor you have but running three sticks in stead of an even number prevents them running in Dual Channel mode, loosing a lot of bandwith.

From what I can see, you should be able to change the orientation of your A50 without changing the backplate. But I would say don't bother, as long as you have the rear exhaust fan pulling air out of the case, it won't make any difference. If you have fans on the top too, you're pulling all the warm air from the A50 right out of the case. I shouldn't have said it's better to turn the A50 so the airflow is upward, it won't make a difference with your case. I actually have three of those cases, so I'm very familiar with it.

Your CPU temp of 86F at idle is very good, it sounds like it has been mounted correctly and you applied the TIM very well. The next question is, do you have the CPU power saving features enabled? Those are SpeedStep, C1E, and C-States. If not, enabling one or more of those options will help lower your idle temps. If you've never used these options, I would suggest enabling SpeedStep and C1E, and not bother with C-States, since occasionally that feature can cause problems. If the first two features work for you, then you can try C-States too.

Thanks for all your great feedback and advice. I feel confident that everything is working as it should now, even without changing the orientation of the fan I (although I might do it at some point so I can get the fourth stick of memory in). Thanks a lot everybody.

gordoncanada

Archived