Corsair Community

Would this compromise RAM?

It’s sounds odd, but I recently bought a computer off of Monarchcomputersystems.com. And overall, I’m quite satisfied, but when they sent me their barebones system (processor, motherboard, power supply, and ram installed), one of the RAM sticks was placed in BACKWARDS (it was crammed in there, I don’t know how they did it). (this was 2 sticks of 512 each of (3200) XMS C2PRO) Normally, that’s nothing, you pop it out, and put it back in the correct way. But part of the deal was that they would test the setup and initialize BIOS, make sure everything worked. So that means that current went through that RAM, right? And if it did, it went through the WRONG way. Would that damage the RAM? Would backwards current damage it? I mean, you’re only supposed to be able to insert the ram in one way, so I know it shouldn’t be the other way, but I do not know if current would flow through the memory at all if it was backwards, essentially running on half memory, or whether the current would pass through the RAM. I don’t know whether that would compromise the RAM. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what this would do electricly to the RAM, but I can tell you that someone that shouldn't be touching computer parts installed it and I would probably physically assult someone for doing the same to my computer. I'd be on the phone with Monarchcomputersystems.com finding out how to have them send me a new system and probably footing the bill for shipping ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen some Tech TVshow and they were showing how to build ur own computer, and when it came to the Rams, he specifically said "not" to put the Rams in the wrong way. Meaning, the way it was installed in ur system. He even showed a Ram module that has been inserted the wrong way and u could see that the connector thingys were all black like a piece of burned bbq steak. So i would guess that if urs isnt compareable to a burned bbq steak, it should be fine. But Id deffinetly call them and complain cause thats just not right. Also u can check ur Rams with memtest to see if they work or not. :!: good luck :):

Archived