Corsair Community

2* XMS1024-3200LL on S939 Boards incompatible?

realPedro

Hiho, I´m a lucky owner of 2 pairs of XMS1024-3200LL modules in Rev.3.1 (This Rev. is written on the Modules) and i wanna use [U]all![/U] of them (4pcs.) in a abit av8 and a a64 3800+ right now i read that this is not possible because my ram modules are double sided :eek: the point is: i already have this modules, the board is on the way, and the processor is also here - so i have to find a solution. i read some threads here and on other locations and it looks that there are just two possible ways to get four of these ram modules work - use just 2 modules :(: - use four modules - but not in pc400 mode - just pc333 :(: so the question is: is it possible to get all of them work in pc400 mode, or do i bought crap? - yes, i know that there are also 2048Mb Kits aviable - yes, i know thats nothing wrong with the memorymodules itself - yes, i already used the search funktion hopefully somebody can serve me an solution... thanks in advance and regards realPedro

• Corsair Employee
The best thing to do would be try it and then test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to be sure it's stable! However, this is the limitation in the memory controller and I would set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts!

Whoa. Having just installed 2 TwinX1024-3200LLs in a Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 and having it insist on doing a 166MHz memory clock (either two sticks alone gives 200MHz), the Athlon64's have a limitation that's making this happen? Is this documented somewhere by AMD? I didn't know of this limitation. :\ Searching the net isn't yielding anything right now either. Thanks, Dan Who'll likely have to RMA some ram. :\

In my case, one pair is V1.2 and the other was V3.1, both within 3 weeks from being shipped by Newegg. I jotted down the timings from each pair alone and when all four were in place. I also tried to set the memory timings manually to that when in DDR400 mode but the system refused to boot (well, beeped twice, quick beep after resetting the timings to DDR333 timings and off it went). Memtest worked fine with DDR333 timings including 2.5-3-3-7. Prime95 ran overnight without issue. BIOS wise, running the F3 GA-K8NSNXP-939 bios. Memtest also worked fine with either pair installed alone and indicated 200MHz and 2-4-2-6 (note the 4) from auto ram settings. Gigabyte confirmed that with four sticks, DDR333 will be used. I didn't know this. As a result, I've RMAed one of the two pairs (other being out of RMA time frame) and ordered a TwinX2048-3200 replacement. 3-3-3-8 but 2GB at DDR400. Dunno if that's any better than two TwinX1024-3200LL running at 166MHz. Oh well.

Archived