Corsair Community

ram config unstable

soulracc

Hello!

looking for "theramguy" for some help :p:

I would like to know if these 2 ram kits would work at rated speeds.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-12gb-triple-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz12gx3m3a1600c9.html

http://www.corsair.com/tr3x6g1600c8d.html

From what I've read it should in theory work however the dominators need to run at 9-9-9-24 @ 1600mhz which I am okay with. However it is not the case and I am unable to boot stable at those settings even with 1.65v....

hi

Its never good to mixte defrent kit ove memory.

Maybe it could worck. But if u want stability, don't mixte memory kit.

You won't be able to use xmp plofile.

U ave to manualy set memory at 1600mhz

Ther is no garanty that it will worck or even be stable.

My experiance on a x58 chipset with 6 stick ove overcklock memory.

I was force to tweak cpu from dinamic 1.2v to dinamic 1.285v and ioh from 1.100v to 1.125v so it could run stable.

I see that u overclock cpu to 3.8 in your spec. If u overclock memory at 1600mhz and after clock cpu from 3.06 to 3.8. Your memory go way over 1600mhz then and it is rating 1600mhz not more.

If you want to overclock cpu and memory. Then u ave to run memory at 1333mhz so wend u overclock cpu it won't go over 1600mhz. Ther is no garanty it will worck as u use 2 deferent kit ove memory. Keep in mind that i7 prosseser if native 1066mhz memory speed and all above is overclocking.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

I see that u overclock cpu to 3.8 in your spec. If u overclock memory at 1600mhz and after clock cpu from 3.06 to 3.8. Your memory go way over 1600mhz then and it is rating 1600mhz not more.

I understand what you're saying its a common overclockers mistake but I have set the base clock at 200mhz and changed the multiplier for the frequency to run at 1600mhz spec which i think was an 8x.

I'm not quite sure what qpi/vtt is needed but i put a good 1.3v as i found that to be whats needed for average ram. I know that 1.65v is out of spec for the vengeance but i'm pretty sure all that will do is increase heat output which i'm sure it can absolutely handle.

From what I've read in other threads it seems that I'm wrong and that corsair memory has to be exact match from the exact same kits otherwise its no good...

However if anyone has any suggestions on bios settings or anything else I could try if not its not a problem... Just wish it could work thats all...:[pouts:

Realyy all you can do is experiment. There is no way to tell if any two kits are going to work at any given spd.

I'm not quite sure what qpi/vtt is needed but i put a good 1.3v as i found that to be whats needed for average ram. I know that 1.65v is out of spec for the vengeance but i'm pretty sure all that will do is increase heat output which i'm sure it can absolutely handle.

Sort of, on x58 systems you can take the Vengeance modules to 1.65v. In fact it may even be a necessity to gain stability if need be. And QPI do not go above 1.45v. I would start with 1.35v QPI and add if more if you have to. QPI is memory controller voltage , not to be confused with DIMM voltage.

Personnally i would start at trying to get them stable at 1333mhz before i started worring about overclocking them to 1600mhz. *shrugs*

Archived