Corsair Community

M90 stiff side-buttons and v2

Mikuni

Hi,

I've been following this product for a while and would like to buy one soon, however all the bad reviews kinda put me off. The software issues don't worry me that much since that just needs an update, but I hear a lot of complaints that the side buttons are very stiff; now my question, do they soften up after some use? and a question to Corsair, is a revision of the mouse planned with a new model coming soon?

Yeah, they do feel stiff at first, but I became use to it quite quickly. I was a razer owner until i realized all of their peripherals were crap quality with "l33t" branding (My razer lachesis would randomly freeze and wouldn't go up or down anymore after a year of use). After just a couple days of heavy use, I became used to the buttons. It put me off at first, but I had no problem taking a little time to learn how to use a peripheral if it means it will be around for a long time. One trick I used to completely negate the software problem is that I binded all of my F keys to the side buttons. On my H60 those buttons aren't mechanical, and in SWTOR and WoW I can never reach them while playing anyway. Once the F-Keys were binded, I had no problem getting any game that allows key bindings to start working right away with it.

The side buttons are stiff and very hard to click.They are also skinny with sharpened surfaces (wonder who's idea was it) on most of them.Also, the buttons 7 and 14 are unreachable, and you lose your normal grip on the mouse when trying to click em.They should make them closer to your thumb, or just get rid of em.

The new beta software is working.The side buttons kill this mouse.Also the play until stopped macro playback option isn't working , at least in BF3 for the toggle between sprint/walk which isn't available in BF3 natively like the toggle between crouch/stand option.

also, this mouse needs a pinky rest.I get two fingers floating and causing my hand a lot of fatigue and pain along with ruining the gliding on the mouse pad.

That's it, hope it helps.I'd wait for a new revision of the mouse that will hopefully address all these issues.I'm returning my unit because of the horrible side buttons.

If you have pain, go see a doctor.

i get pain in the pinky side of my hand because i cant place my ring finger on the mouse cuz the right click is too sensitive so i have to keep them floating which strains the muscles in that area.I also have to stretch and squeeze my thumb finger to reach and click the side buttons which are barely clickable.

This is the first Corsair product that disappoints me.I have used your ram, I've got a corsair case, power supply, and a CPU cooler and all of em perform amazingly.You guys messed up with this one product.

Who's idea was it to use these buttons? Or to place buttons that u cant normally reach without making an effort, leave alone clicking em.

Well, anyhow. thanks for ur response.

i get pain in the pinky side of my hand because i cant place my ring finger on the mouse cuz the right click is too sensitive so i have to keep them floating which strains the muscles in that area.I also have to stretch and squeeze my thumb finger to reach and click the side buttons which are barely clickable.

This is the first Corsair product that disappoints me.I have used your ram, I've got a corsair case, power supply, and a CPU cooler and all of em perform amazingly.You guys messed up with this one product.

Who's idea was it to use these buttons? Or to place buttons that u cant normally reach without making an effort, leave alone clicking em.

Well, anyhow. thanks for ur response.

I can't understand how you are grasping the M90 like that.

My ring and pinky fingers rest on the rough texture side of the M90 just fine without interfering with the right click at all... I.e. they are sort of grasping the side.

I know what Gorilla is talking about - I have the same struggles, but I think its the habits developed from years of using the Logitech MX518. There's more of a "side" to grip on that right side of the mouse, so I am used to using the side of my ring finger to hold the mouse in a claw-grip, with my wrist resting on the mousepad except when doing the occasional skate.

I've modified my grip somewhat now so that the pads of my ring finger (and pinky) are in more contact with the mouse, which seems to give me a more stable grip, plus more stability when trying to click the side buttons. But so much of it is muscle memory that I'm just having to break. I think I used that MX518 for at least 6 years, if not more, so there's a lot of habit-breaking to make.

I'm loving the mouse after making some more tweaks.

Its a tough concept. Everyone hand size and finger length is different. I personally have no issues.

A tough concept? Not really. corsair should have put more thought into designing the mouse.Comfort and ease of use should always come first when designing a mouse.

I recently tried the Mionix 5000 mouse, and even though it doesn't have the many side buttons the M90 has, the curves that mouse has for the ring and pinky fingers make it really comfortable and easy to grip.Here, take a look:

http://www.techspot.com/images/products/mice/org/166957694_1202706156_o.jpg

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/img_0931.jpg

Also the side buttons could have been thicker and more clickable then the ones you used for the mouse.That's not a lot of work..

Thank you for your suggestions. It comes down to personal preference and personally I have never wanted a mouse like the one above.

Well, the big deal for me is the side buttons.Those buttons are, skinny, not easily clickable, and you end up either clicking the right click or moving the mouse or both when trying click pretty much any of the side buttons.

Also, the buttons 7 and 14 are not reachable when normally claw/palm gripping the mouse, so you have to lift your hand and lose ur grip to actually be able to click those two buttons.

And yes, a place to at least rest your ring finger is not available.A nice curve would really make that happen and improve the mouse grip.

I hope there's a V2 of this mouse coming soon with all these issues addressed.That would be my next mouse.

• 1 month later...

Got the mouse yesterday, the side buttons (some of them) aren't as stiff as some reviews point them out to be; however the placement is confusing sometimes, I'm still trying to get used to them and often need to look at my finger to check I'm on the correct spot.

The wheel is absolutely -awesome-, the left/right buttons have a very soft light touch, and the build quality/bottom surface is suberb, maybe a bit too big.

The software though.. omg. Hardware playback wasn't working so I tried to update the firmware, got all sort of problems with that

http://i.imgur.com/ZRHqN.png

eventually kinda "bricking" the mouse: dpi got reset to the lowest, and clicking on the dpi change buttons had no effect; reinstalling the software either. The light went off and clicking on it in the software panel had no effect and eventually the mouse would lock and not move at all; replugging it made it work again.. sort of, still with those flaws. Eventually the FW update magically worked.. although it reseted back to the older version somehow oO

http://i.imgur.com/sPETg.png

(Note I installed software 2.12, that's the only one I ever downloaded, somehow it says 1.0 though)

After that it seemed to work properly again and I was able to save the profile to the mouse memory.

Figuring out how the key binding worked was a pain in the ***, there's barely any indications or logic in the process.

So my final opinion: outstanding hardware.. really, it's amazing, but the software is the worst I've ever seen for any gaming peripherals ever.

Yes I do. Am I running also the latest firmware even though it shows as the old version now? It said 3... something before in between the flash attempts; where can I get the latest fw at anytime? I only found the links to it within these threads.

And one more question, I found this screenshot in the skins folder, showing the wheel can be assigned as 2 extra buttons 16/17; how do we get that enabled? There is a mmo which isn't accepting wheel up/down as button clicks for the binds, however, it does for a friend with a much simpler mouse by Logitech. Any way we can achieve the same with the M90?

http://i.imgur.com/d6qvp.png

Yea they're stiff. there are 2, maybe 3 buttons that you can press somewhat comfortably without changing your mouse position.

I can't imagine using the macro buttons on a game like starcraft 2 or even on FPS's without momentarily sacrificing mouse control when pressing a button in the heat of the moment. They're not so bad bad at times when you don't need to maintain mouse percision but they could be better.

Good thing I don't use the buttons for gaming though.

Archived