Corsair Community

HX750W, high-frequency sound and unstable start-up power

Soppe

Hi!

Got a couple of problems with a PSU i have. I got it together with a built pc from a company, but as they are both slow and seem somewhat incompetent, i figured it's better to go to the source.

For starters, this is all problems i have with the PSU. The pc itself never has to be turned on.

When i first got the pc, i put the pc on a 10B (European) hedge (the word google translate gave me, hopefully it's correct). On this hedge there was an oven or 2, 1-2 laptops and heating in hallway and bathroom, plus some other stuff that was turned off. The first time i turned on the PSU (the I/O-button on the back), everything worked well. I turned off the PSU when going to bed because of another problem I'll describe further down. The day after, when turning it on again, it was too much for the hedge (which, i suppose, was to be expected). However, i tried putting the pc on another 10B hedge with only some lights in the roof, ta******** 200W. It still didn't work. I turned off the lights, and voila, it worked.

Sent the pc to rep, they didn't find anything, got it back, did the same all over, got the exact same result. This time, however, i tried turning the PSU on and off with shorter intervals so there was still some power in the PSU left when i had it on the hedge with just the lights in the roof. Now i could have the lights on while turning on the PSU.

Now, I'm no electrician or anything, i did however get some help with people who knows a thing or two. The picture below shows the results made with an amperemeter used to measure startup-power. To put it short, is this behavior normal, or is my PSU pulling too much at once, or does it sound like some other problem?

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/189/r0010333.th.jpg

Another problem i have is a constant, high-frequency sound from what seems to be the PSU when the PSU is on but the pc itself is off. The frequency could be at around 17k-19k HZ, as matures and people with lowered hearing won't hear it. I'm 23 and can hear it. My friend, also 23, can't, but he has lowered hearing cause of military. My brother, 21, can easily hear it. As i presume this is not intended, I'm also wondering what the cause of this could be.

• Corsair Employees
You may need to have an electrician look at your house and I would suggest a 15 Amp breaker at the minimum and for sure if you use an Electric Heater for the hallway or bathroom they will need to be on their own breaker. These types of devices use too much power to share with other devices.

I have the exact same problem with HX850, and sorry RAM Guy, but 10A on 230V gives a 2300 Watts of maximum power (no Crysis pun). And surely enough, 2,1kW oven or dishwasher or washing machine work well. in my apartment, even two of those at once on one 10A somehow - because that's how AFCI should work.

The current peak on that screen is monstrous - over 22A for 750W appliance? That's over 5000 Watts!!! This is clearly a flaw either in design or manufacture of the APFC circuit.

Anyway, I'm in the process of RMAing the PSU and I hope that I get a working replacement, unlike people RMAing H100 - because Corsair isn't looking into this, just replacing the units for new ones.

I bet my arm and half my leg that you could change the wiring in your house and it would still trip the breaker, because that's what breaker is supposed to do - detect a faulty appliance and disable it!

Oh and my unit also makes the same sound that yours does, go figure.

• Corsair Employees

Yes indeed at 230 Volts that is slightly different however electric heaters use more then 1500 Watts and would over load a 10 Amp breaker with other devices using the same circuit especially something like a computer with high power requirements.

I would still suggest he have someone check his house in the O.P. case he had the store check his system and no problem was found with the system.

Well the OP said he's from Europe so 230V it is.

Same as mine.

Forget the store, people working there mostly have no idea what they are doing besides sales.

That screenshot from Tektronix tells the whole story - APFC capacitor loading current causes the unit to exceed 22 Amps, or 5000 kilo Watts in other words. And 5kW is A lot.

Maybe the unit is only rated at 750W, but it can handle 5000W load then? :laughing:

Thanks for answers so far :)

To clear it up, the first day it worked on the break with all that heating and other electronic stuff on it, surprisingly enough. This also happened when i got my pc back from reparation. It may be that the electric warming wasn't really pulling much because it was already warm inside though.

The problem was when i put it on another 10amp breaker with ONLY lights in the roof (max 200W) on the same breaker, and still it doesn't work, unless i turn the pc on, off, and then on again before all the electricity left behind in the pc runs out. This was after crashing the first breaker.

Fyi, i did have an electrician look at it and except for some bad grounding that at worst would make the electric stream (in the lack of better words) more unstable, there was nothing wrong there. He also fixed the grounding, which didn't change anything. As i wasn't home at the time, he didn't get the opportunity to look at my pc. This happened before i sent my pc to reparation.

Remember that this is merely the start-up power, which from what I've heard easily exceeds the 750W it can be running on over time (as it during start-up has to fire up capacitors and what not).

The results you see on the picture is from my dads workplace. I honestly doubt they too need an electrician. And there's always the problem with that high-frequent sound. If i was a mature stashing my pc in the room of a baby, that baby would be ruined as no one would figure out why it never was able to sleep.

No official from Corsair that can make a simple answer if this behavior is normal or not?

What should be the expected start-up power?

Is sleep-killing, constant high-frequent sound from PSU normal when this is on and pc is off?

As the shop i got it from are pretty incompetent, i need something else to either shove in their face, or put myself to rest with. My case will pass 1.5 months next week :S

• Corsair Employees

Please use use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can try and replace the PSU if the reseller will not help you.

Please keep in mind there is a time difference and we are open from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday Through Friday Excluding Holidays. You can get our local time from http://www.timeanddate.com.

Thanks, but the second i touch my PSU, my guarantee on everything else in the pc goes bye-bye from the re-sellers side and I'll never have anything to use against the shop ever again should other problems arise, as they'll just blame me for it.

Plus, I'm a student, and sending stuff around is quickly noticed on my budget. I would prefer having a safe case before i make one. As my safest card would be the high-frequent sound (as getting a straight answer about the start-up power seems to be hard, i was hoping you at least had some statistics about what your products pulls of electricity), i kinda figured it's really just safe if tested with either the right equipment, or some young person who can hear those high-frequent sounds. And for all i know, I'll get the whole thing back with a note saying "This sound is totally normal" if it's even discovered at all.

You have to excuse my scepticism, but the re-seller was the one telling me to send my whole pc to rep. As they didn't find anything, i can't demand money back for the mail transport either. That's 1/3 PSU down the drain right there.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry Soppe we would not be able to help you with the whole system, I would talk to the reseller and see if they will look at the system again, point them to this thread and see what they say. But unfortunately you would need to take the system back to them.

However the offer still stands and we would be happy to replace it for you; if you wish to proceed with the RMA I would get the RMA# and then speak to our customer service about the shipping since you just got the system. I would probably ask them if you can change the PSU your self under these circumstances.

Archived