Corsair Community

16GB Kit for Asus M4A79XTD Evo

dopefishlives

I'm looking at the Vengeance Low Profile kits for a total of 16GB for my Asus board, M4A79XTD-Evo. I'm looking at 2 kits of CML8GX3M2A1600C9 for a total of 16GB (4GBx4)

I know my board is getting a bit long in the tooth, so i'm just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of, limitations or compatibility, before I pull the trigger so to speak or if anyone has any experiences using this much ram on the same board. I know the memory will probably have to downclock to 1333 or 1066 and that's fine, my current memory (2gbx4) is at 1333 anyways. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

thanks ram guy, my current memory is already running at 1.8 (since im using four 2gb sticks, before two sticks ran at 1.63-1.65) so i was expecting the corsair kits to do the same (and my motherboard takes care of the voltage settings automatically) and i've never had any problems in that regard.

anyways, i ordered the CML16GX3M4A1600C9 kit. definitely looking forward to it and i'll report back hopefully great news that everything's running smoothly after its installed.

I am happy to report the kit I ordered (vengeance-LP black 4x4) works great in my system. I had no installation problems, and my motherboard detected it and set up everything automatically and correctly. Windows sees all 16GB. I've been using my PC all day and played games for a couple hours and watched a movie, no errors, no crashes, everything is great so far.

One final question if I may, should I still run memtest even though I have not experienced any crashes, hangs, etc.? Thanks again for all your help.

One final question if I may, should I still run memtest even though I have not experienced any crashes, hangs, etc.? Thanks again for all your help.

Since everything is running smooth, it's entirely up to you. If you want the peace of mind from running memtest, go for it. Otherwise it's not necessary unless you are having problems.

Archived