Corsair Community

3200 C2 - weird problem (won't work stabile on 200MHz)

Matta

Greetings ! First, let me give you my comp specs: Mobo - MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR (nForce 2 Ultra with latest firmware installed) Proc - Mobile Barton 2500+, water cooled (before that, desktop Barton 2500+) PSU - Enermax 430 W Memory - 2 x 512 MB CMX512-3200C2 ver. 2.2 (I believe) Here's the problem in short: - My memory wont work stabile on FSB 200MHz. It's working flawlessly on 166 and even on 190-192. Above that I keep getting MemTest errors in test #5. Here's the problem in long: - As you can see in my system specs, my computer is more than qualified to work on 200MHz FSB. I am active Battlefield 1942 player and I tend to play that game alot. Since the problem is connected with that and I haven't tested on anything else except MemTest, I'll describe that. When FSB is set to 166MHz (no matter what CPU multiplyer is, it working perfectly all the way to x13) game is working perfectly. But when I set FSB to 200MHz (with CAS settings as it should be: 6-3-3-2.5) the game keeps crashing on desktop on irregular intervals. Sometime it will crash after a minute, sometimes after half an hour. It all depends on the current "flow of data". The game tends to "yank" when there's lot of "crowd" on that very place on the map where I am (meaning, when there is lot of data going in and out of memory, I presume). No matter if I set CPU multiplyer to be x7 (the lowest, then the CPU speed is 1400MHz) or x12, problem is the same. When I return FSB to 166, it working great. - When running MemTest (on FSB 200MHz), I keep getting errors only in test #5 (alot, around 200 in 1st pass, then lot more in 2nd). If I lower the FSB to 166MHz I get NO errors at all ! If I raise FSB all the way to 190-192, I get NO errors at all. But when I raise FSB above 193, I get errors (the more I raise above that, the more errors I get). - Mem voltage is set to 2.7 (on my mobo I have 4 choices: 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and auto) - CAS settings are set like it should be: 6-3-3-2.5 - I also tried to set it on 8-3-3-2.5 but I still keep getting errors. I really don't know what to do. Do you have some suggestions or ideas that could help me ? I bought this memory over a year now and I'm having this problem from the beginning. And all this time I 've been running my system on FSB 166 instead of being able to push it over 200. :[pouts: Please help. Thank you in advance ! EDIT: Windows are stable and without any crashes. But when I tried to install windows running on FSB 200, I kept getting blue screens, but I don't remeber what is was about.

Welcome to the forums, Matta! Actually, getting errors on only test #5 indicates that the issue is with your CPU/chipset, not the memory. And the statement, "[i]As you can see in my system specs, my computer is more than qualified to work on 200MHz FSB[/i]," isn't exactly correct. It is qualified to work at 166 since it's a 2500+, but has historically overclocked well. No two processors are the same, no two chipsets are the same. You can always try bumping up your DDR Voltage to 2.8 volts and see if that helps as it'll also give your chipset some more voltage and you can always try bumping the CPU's voltage by a little and see if that helps. If you truly think it's the memory, please try them in a friend's computer and run [url=www.memtest.org]Memtest86+[/url] on them. As is right now, try removing one module and see if you still get errors with only one installed. PLUR CK

Yeah. I have a desktop 2500+ and a mobile 2500+. My desktop 2500+ needed 1.725 Volts to be stable at 3200+ speeds. That may be the explanation. Or, your motherboard could be a bad batch. Not being able to run at 200MHz. Test the sticks in another motherboard and pherhaps another CPU to rule out those. Update: Sorry, didn't see that you indeed had a Mobile Barton. This has an adjustable Multiplier. And you should be able to test whatever bus speed you like. That rules that problem out. Motherboard or RAM. Or that the motherboard have an incompatability with this mem.

[quote name='CandyKid']Welcome to the forums, Matta![/quote] Thanks guys ! I'm really glad to be here, especially if it was under better circumnstances... :): [quote]Actually, getting errors on only test #5 indicates that the issue is with your CPU/chipset, not the memory. And the statement, "[i]As you can see in my system specs, my computer is more than qualified to work on 200MHz FSB[/i]," isn't exactly correct. It is qualified to work at 166 since it's a 2500+, but has historically overclocked well.[/quote] Yes, I know all that, but as I said, if I set processor on 12.5x166 (that's 2075 MHz), everything is working perfectly. But if I set it on 200MHz FSB, even with lowest multiplyer possible (x7), BF1942 will still crash and I will get errors in MemTest. [b]12.5x166 = 2075 MHz ===> Everything is working perfectly 11x190 = 2090 MHz ===> Everything is working perfectly 7x200 = 1400 MHz ===> BF1942 crashes to desktop, MemTest reports errors.[/b] You see my point here ? Processor can handle the speed. I believe processor can be ruled out. Agree ? [quote]You can always try bumping up your DDR Voltage to 2.8 volts and see if that helps as it'll also give your chipset some more voltage[/quote] I cannot. Remeber ? In BIOS options I only have 4 choices: 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and Auto. And it's set on 2.7 I cannot bump up the voltage higher than that.

[quote name='OcMax']Yeah. I have a desktop 2500+ and a mobile 2500+. My desktop 2500+ needed 1.725 Volts to be stable at 3200+ speeds. That may be the explanation. Or, your motherboard could be a bad batch. Not being able to run at 200MHz. Test the sticks in another motherboard and pherhaps another CPU to rule out those. Update: Sorry, didn't see that you indeed had a Mobile Barton. This has an adjustable Multiplier. And you should be able to test whatever bus speed you like.[/quote] Yes, and desktop Barton that I had before was also unlocked because it was from one of the first series and they all had multiplyer unlocked. And it's a good series too (AQXEA, 23rd week 2003). [quote]That rules that problem out. Motherboard or RAM. Or that the motherboard have an incompatability with this mem.[/QUOTE] You really think that it might be the case that my mobo refuses to work stabile on 200MHz FSB ? I mean, it's designed to work on 200MHz. I usually hear that mobo don't work stabile at all, but working good at one frequency and not good on another, it puzzles me. :sigh!:

• Corsair Employee
Usually if you have a failing module it will fail at what ever frequency you have them at! However, if you want to try it we can try and replace the modules, but CK's suggestion to test them one at a time would be a valid suggestion and I would also suggest it! In addition, I would try and set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and see if that makes any difference, if not that would suggest it's the CPU if it does change the results it may be the memory depending on the errors you get!

I would like to see replacing modules as my last alternative. I will try what CK and you suggested. I would also like to try it on some other motherboards or real 200MHz processors but unfortunately all my friends are either using older AMD configurations or Pentium ones. I'll report what I found. Thanks for the effort !

One more thing I wanted to ask before, but I forgot. When I bought my memory one year ago, in her specifications it said that CAS settings are 6-3-3-2, for both AMD and Intel systems. In present time, specifications for AMD system are 6-3-3-2.5 I'm wondering, does the new specifications also refers to my memory or just the new revisions ?

Archived