Corsair Community

Secure Erase went horribly wrong...

I have a Force GT 60GB as my boot drive. I have had it in my computer sometime and figured it was time to do a secure erase so I can restore stock speeds.

I followed the steps on http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344 and after the operation everything was erased...and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Parted Magic no longer knew the manufacturer information...etc.

I then try to install Windows on it again and I get to Windows Setup and it says no drives detected.

I then use a SATA-USB hookup to check the drives in Disk Management on another computer...and it says the drives are not initialized.

NOTE: Both parted magic AND windows 7 detect the drive size and that all the space is 100% unallocated. ALSO, the BIOS detects the drive.

So basically I want to know if this can be fixed and if not...if my warranty is still valid.

Thank you.

I contacted Croocial to talk to them about my other SSD (since this one and the other one were both having this issue)...and they gave me the following troubleshooting steps...which ended up working.

Here were the steps that Croocial gave me.

1. Plug in the solid state drive(s).

2. Turn on computer and let idle for about 20 minutes.

3. Turn off computer and disconnect solid state drive(s) for 30 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 once more.

5. Try reinstalling Windows.

They called this a "power cycle" and it reset everything nicely.

Just wanted to post the solution.

The procedure you posted is not necessary to "fix" a SSD, your SSD did not have an issue after the SE. A new, un-formatted or secure erased drive of any type must be initialized, assigned a Volume name, partitioned, and formatted before it is recognized by the Windows file system. Windows 7 should have warned you about that automatically when you were in Disk Management, which it sounds like it did. If you would have clicked on that, it would have walked you through the process.

When you install Windows 7 on a drive, it initializes it, formats it, and creates a volume for you. Why your SSD was not detected during the first install is odd, but a cold boot/power cycle will cure that, but Windows 7 did the rest during the installation.

Archived