Corsair Community

Corsair 550D Reviews? Where are they?

MatthewScores

You'd think some units would be shipped to major reviewers ahead of launch. The case will supposedly be available in four days and yet there's not a single review available anywhere. I'm itching for one myself, but I'd like Anandtech/SweClockers/SPCR to have a look at one first.

• 2 weeks later...
We're shipping review units ASAP - you should start seeing reviews pop up in a couple of weeks.
Good to know, thanks! You don't happen to know anything about the UK release? OCUK had it listed for 10/02 but it's now changed to 10/04, which seems a bit crazy to me.

Allllllright! Looks like Newegg.com finally has it listed. Apparently they will be getting the first batch of 550Ds (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012&Tpk=corsair%20550d&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite). Hopefully Amazon aren't too far off!

Thank you for the info. As a Canadian I have ordered it at Newegg.ca. It was specified in stock at 159.99$ with a 20$ mail-in rebate. It was specified to ship between 24 to 48 hours.

I am looking forward to receive it. I have just built a new pc. I have bought the cheapest case as a temp solution to wait to the Obsidian 550D. I had a special enclosure in my furniture and most Obsidian cases are too big for the enclosure. The 550D is the right size for me.

Thank you for the info. As a Canadian I have ordered it at Newegg.ca. It was specified in stock at 159.99$ with a 20$ mail-in rebate. It was specified to ship between 24 to 48 hours.

I am looking forward to receive it. I have just built a new pc. I have bought the cheapest case as a temp solution to wait to the Obsidian 550D. I had a special enclosure in my furniture and most Obsidian cases are too big for the enclosure. The 550D is the right size for me.

Ah good stuff nrioux! The 550D does seem like a great case so I hope it all goes well for you :D I had a quick look on [H]ardforum, and it seems a number of people have gone ahead with the order and the cases have also been marked as 'shipped' for them.

Looks like we can expect to see some impressions/reviews of the case soon :)

ordered as soon as it was available from newegg.ca, recieved today in victoria bc canada, setting up tomorrow (not my hardware going in).

There's a thread over at hardforum.com with user-installed pics already. Have a look.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-Obsidian-550D-Case-Review/1508

Here's the first review I've seen, too bad they don't seem to actually install a system inside and test for noise levels and cooling performance.

Welcome to the exciting new world of computer case "reviews".

1. Take a few pictures;

2. List the product specifications and the manufacturing PR spin like it's true;

3. Write a text of a few hundred words on how good the case looks and how good you think it performs (no matter how worthless a case might be you never say bad things about it);

4. Upload it to the web as an "in-depth" review (even though you never actually tested it in any way possible);

5. Proclaim you are unbiased despite the fact that you always give good marks to every product that goes through your hands.

I hear ya...

I'm curious to know how well this case would work with my current component list (same as what's in the drop-down on this forum).

I want to run it with 2 front fans and 1 bottom fan set as intakes, and the rear as the only exhaust - with all upgraded fans with a high CFM but low dBA rating.

Looking for a quieter setup than I currently have - I have 6 fans (3x140mm & 3x120mm) crammed in my Scout. I'd like to keep a push/pull on my H60, but like I said - I'd be totally up for spending $20-$25 per fan to get a noise reduction without losing airflow.

I would be able to remove both HDD cages and install my 2 HDDs and 1 SSD in the optical drive bay using adapters, and would get a shorter length PSU from Corsair so a bottom 120mm fan would fit.

I would prefer to keep the solid side & top panels installed over those fan mounts to keep sound down.

Hopefully someone will do a thorough review soon...

Thanks!

Reading now...

Edit: They found it to be extremely quiet, the best they've tested! I'd need a couple minor changes for better cooling, though...

After reading the review, I might be able to still get a quiet system by moving the included rear fan to the bottom intake and just buying 2 decent fans for the H60 push/pull.

Adding a couple fans of the same type or better shouldn't make it much noisier and would help with the fact that I've got 2 GTX 580 cards to cool. The other 2 existing fans up front will work even better without drive cages in the way of their airflow.

Thanks a bunch (again) for posting that link, it's helped me make the decision to start budgeting for the 550D!

Later on I might mod the side panel grill area for a window...

• 3 weeks later...

Just built a system in the 550D and had some issues with a Zal 9900Max hitting the top door fan and I used a HX1050 PSU and the bottom door fan didn't clear the top of that. I am going to try using some 12mm slim Scythe fans and see if they do the trick. i would like some door fans for my video card cooling.

other than that i didn't have any other problems, I put a Asus Rampage IV Gene board in it and might think about some liquid cooling down the road. both the doors were a little loose, everyone has been concerned about that but they are not making any noise. and the cable management tightened up the right side door.

I put some XIG Crystal Series 140 mm in the top and replaced the stock 120 mm with another XIG 140 mm. so far my CPU temps have been around 29-30 c at idle and right around 50-55 c while gaming.

I am running a 570 SLi setup and hope to cool down the top card a bit with those slim fans, the top card runs about 47 c under lite use and hits 75 when under load and the bottom card sits at 38 c and hits 55 when gaming. so not to bad.

if anyone has any questions let me know

Thnx

Mike

Archived