Corsair Community

Force GT on P7P55D

Hi all,

I just bought this ssd and I'm getting low speeds. Even lower than my old Force 120. Is it my mb's fault or something else? I read on the forum that you should connect the ssd to the grey sata port, but in that case it goes even slower because Windows sees it as SCSI. What can I do?

Thanks.

Corsair Force GT 180GB:

http://i41.tinypic.com/116hvo4.jpg

Corsair Force 120GB:

http://i43.tinypic.com/t8khmh.jpg

The speeds you're getting are perfect SATA II speeds so your drive is fine.

If you want higher speeds, you'll have to connect it to your mobo's SATA III connector, and even then, it'll be somewhat handicapped because of the Marvell chip controlling your mobo's SATA III connectors.

The Marvell controller does support AHCI via a setting in the BIOS setup, so windows recognizing it only as SCSI should not be a concern.

If you want the full speed of SATA III you'll need a mobo with either native Intel or AMD SATA III connectors (p67, z68, x79 and newer chipsets).

Oh okay, well in the BIOS setup on your motherboard you can change the mode of the Marvell controller to AHCI, thereby enabling more advanced storage performance (and making it NOT appear like a SCSI device). Don't ask me about the specifics of where the setting is located, you'll have to consult your mobo manual about that one.

And you don't really have "better" performance from the Force, since all the ATTO results show is a fully saturated SATA II connection. The marginal and insignificant differences in the results are due to things like concurrent disk access, antivirus scanner activity, windows update, indexing, level of the used state of the SSDs etc. Bottom line: Nothing to worry about.

I do understand if you want the unlock the full performance of your ForceGT but for that you'll need to invest in a newer motherboard with better SATA III support, as already stated. Only then will you see the rated speeds of 500+ MB/s in the ATTO benchmark.

You plugged it in to the Jmircon port, Try plugging it into the Intel SATA Ports (Right-angled ports).

From the ASUS product page

Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in

6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports

Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller

1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices

1 xSATA 3Gb/s port (black)

JMicron® JMB322 (Drive Xpert Technology) :

- 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue and gray)

- Supports EZ Backup and SuperSpeed functions

*Drive Xpert function is available only when the hard disk drives are set as data drives.

I believe the general consensus is that PCIe SATA3 controller cards are either:

Too expensive - they're designed for business and you could buy a new PC for the price (with proper SATA3 support, I might add)

Not worth it - they're based on a Marvell controller (likely the one your mobo has) and it's not an upgrade at all.

Hi all.

your board dont ave sata3 controller only sata2

Sata2 maximum speed is around 280mb/s, so you will not get more out ove it.

U ave tu use sata3 controller to get full speed.

U can get thos speed with a pcie 8x controlleur.

Like the highpoint 2720sgl

For about 200$ u could hook up to 8 drive in raid to get the maximum ove this card that is around 2800mb\s

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Archived