Corsair Community

Why is the GT more expensive that the force 3 ?

OFarrell86

So I was looking at getting an SSD for my brothers rig and was comparing the Force Series 3 and the GT, both the 120GB models have pretty much the same performance, so why is the GT more expensive ?

Force Series 3 -

- Sequential read speeds of up to 550 MB/s

- Sequential write speeds of up to 510 MB/s

Price £120

Force GT -

- Sequential read speeds of up to 555 MB/s

- Sequential write speeds of up to 495 MB/s

Price £160

Both have almost the same speeds on paper

But 550mb/s on the force 3 actually cover only few kinds of files, 99% of the files will actually work at something like 200mb/s

Force GT, on the other way, will work at 550mb/s with all files...

But 550mb/s on the force 3 actually cover only few kinds of files, 99% of the files will actually work at something like 200mb/s

Force GT, on the other way, will work at 550mb/s with all files...

Can someone from Corsair please confirm this? If true, then the published specifications for the Force 3 are somewhat deceptive (if they apply to only 1% of files); Corsair is robbing itself of potential Force 3 GT sales by not highlighting this; and (most importantly :o:) I would have purchased the GT model instead of the one I bought!

I never said it was made to deceive the consumer, just that the two diferent architetures are distant from each other in this aspect

It is indeed a good sugestion to corsair to better show the advantages of the GT drive on the website, compared to the force 3, as for the pure-specs dont show the superiority of the GT drive

From Hardware secrets:

Conclusions

We can see from our tests that the Corsair Force GT offers a much better level of performance than the Force 3 in most cases, so it is the best choice for those who want the fastest possible drive.

Even though both drives feature the same Sandforce SF-2281 controller, the Force GT features synchronous memory rather than asynchronous memory, which performs much better when dealing with incompressible data. It is incompressible data transfer rates that are measured in AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark.

In ATTO disk benchmark, however, the drives exhibited a much more similar level of performance as it tests the drives using compressible data. Some of you may be asking yourselves why Corsair uses asynchronous memory in the Force 3 rather than synchronous memory. Well, synchronous memory is more expensive, accounting for the USD 30 price premium that Corsair demands for the Force GT over the Force 3.

Considering the extra performance it offers, we would definitely recommend paying the premium and buying the Force GT over the Force 3 if you want the best possible performance from your SSD. For those who aren’t as concerned about getting the fastest drive and want to save a few bucks, the Force 3 still remains a good option.

And more explanations from Guru 3D:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-force-gt-120gb-ssd-review/16

And the SSD review

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/corsair-force-series-gt-120gb-sata-3-ssd-review-data-types-atto-and-crystal-diskmark-testing/

Archived