Corsair Community

SATA controller advice please

dwl99

I installed my Corsair Force 3 60GB on my XFX motherboard which uses the nVidia chipset. It was connected to one of the SATA III ports & AHCI was enabled in the registry & BIOS. In spite of this I was getting speeds of only 150-200MB/sec. After a bit of digging around I discovered that this is a known problem with nVidia controllers & have ordered a new motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4020#sp - this one has a Marvell SATA controller using the Marvell 88SE9172 chip. I have since read that Marvell SATA III controllers are also a bit rubbish & also have low transfer speeds. Can anyone comment?

Thanks

I have since read that Marvell SATA III controllers are also a bit rubbish & also have low transfer speeds. Can anyone comment?

The Marvell controller is known to be buggy and will typically reach ~280 MB/s write and ~400 MB/s read speed. I would recommend you to return the H61 mobo and get another one with H67 chipset. This chipset is using a native Intel SATA3 controller which works great and supports the Force 3/GT specified speeds.

Archived