Corsair Community

K90 Keyboard isn't detected during PC bootup!

LegenDofSpeeD

Everytime I boot up my computer the K90 isn't detected so I have to plug in my old keyboard to:

F2: Set New Bios Values

F1: Load default Bios

I updated my PC's bios and K90's latest Firmware, but still no luck!

:evil: :evil: :evil: Shouldn't the K90 work better than a $5 keyboard? :evil: :evil: :evil:

P.S. Thanks for helping ::pirate::

• 1 month later...

I have this problem also. I have to plug in my Logitech G15 to be able to enter bios. I also get random disconnects of the KB during game play - the KB lights go off and nothing happens, have to hard reset and plug in my G13 to tell computer to boot Normal not safe mode since K90 is unusable during PC boot.

MB: MSI P67A-GD65 B3 with BIOS 1.1I

My K90 has the firmware: SN11508407000018503752

Software: 1.00.00.03

USB Keyboard:

VID: 0x1B1C

PID: 0x1B02

Manufacturer: Corsair

Product: Corsair Vengeance K90 Keyboard

Firmware: 1.07

Windows: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

• Corsair Employees

Not being able to use a keyboard or mouse during bios, is usually a bios issue. Make sure you are running the latest bios for your board.

The issue if the keyboard connecting and disconnecting during game play is a separate issue. Are you able to test on another system?

• Corsair Employees
I would check with MSI on this issue as the symptoms would tend to suggest it is a BIOS issue. I would also mention to them that our Key Board is a 16 Bit USB device most Key Boards are only 8 Bit.

I believe i've discovered the reason for this. I too experience an issue with the K90 not being detected during POST.

However, i think that the reason for this is if you have certain mice connected. For example, the K60 i have only works horizontally within the UEFI interface associated with my BIOS. What i discovered is that disconnecting the M60 allowed the K90 to be detected properly. Of interest, other keyboards i had lying around also didn't work properly when the M60 was connected. The only "keyboard" that was working with the M60 connected was my Belkin-Razer N52TE, which is a keypad, and hardly ideal for navigating around BIOS. Combined with the horizontal-only issue i experienced, it made for a frustrating few hours.

Your hardware is good, but at the worst of times it can be a real bind to use.

Hi, I get the same problem - the LEDs light up as soon as it boots but the machine receives no keyboard input in the UEFI or OS selection screens, until I get to the Windows login screen when all is fine. Unplugging my mouse makes no difference.

Edit: using K90 with latest firmware (as of yesterday).

I have now updated it to the latest version available (I'd forgotten what a pain that is if you have AHCI mode enabled) and it's still the same.

Is this something MSI support need to fix in their BIOS or can Corsair do it with a keyboard firmware update?

Regards

• 1 month later...

No, I am sorry, but how can that be an acceptable answer?

Motherboard manufacturers HAVE to update a BIOS just to support YOUR keyboard.

Just how different is Corsair's USB keyboard from any other USB keyboard, what about standards? Surely ALL USB keyboards should comply to a minimum specification, especially for their BASIC functions?

Things like the ENTER key, DELETE key, ESCAPE key, and ARROW keys. Surely ALL keys like this should function at a minimum basic level on all systems to allow POST & BIOS interaction?

I am sitting here a bit peeved after having paid a fair sum of money to buy the K90, which I received yesterday. It is to replace my Steelseries Merc Stealth, which has worked on all my computer builds (and still does) using Windows XP 32bit, 64bit, and then on to Windows 7 64 bit. It also works on Windows 8 64 bit. I have used multiple motherboards from multiple manufacturers.

Initially the K90 looked like a massive failure, where I couldn't get into the BIOS. Luckily after a few boots and a lot of DELETE key tapping, I can get into the BIOS, and the keyboard works within the BIOS. The POST screen also shows USB devices, and it lists my USB hard drives, mouse, and a USB keyboard (K90).

The problem is after POST and before Windows loads. The arrow keys do not function, whether I try the main keys, or the ones on the number pad. As my system is Dual boot, I cannot select an operating system on the displayed menu. Also, just as bad, if I have had to reset the PC for some reason, I will now be stuck on a menu where the system is going to go into repair mode by default, and I can't select 'Load Windows Normally'

I can see this becoming very annoying. Now if I want to select that other option OR I want to boot into Windows 8, I have to plug in my other keyboard temporarily. This is not good.

(Wow! I can't believe my 'D' key just went mad (auto-repeating), when I typed the word 'keyboard' above, and I'm on the latest software/firmware)

Please, as a side note, don't ask people to input their system specs into their profile, then CENSOR any manufacturer's name that gets mentioned. That's just a poor show, and a sign of paranoia. (EDIT: Oh man, you've automatically censored this post too (below), that's really sad guys)

Here is my full specs .....

K90 Software/Firmware beta2.12_010612

Window 7 x64 Pro, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU, ******** CNPS10X Extreme CPU Cooler, Asus M5A99X Evo MB (BIOS 1102), 8GB ******** DDR3 1600 Ripjaw Series PC3-12800 RAM, 2x ATI HD5770 1GB DX11 Graphics Cards Crossfired, 1 Internal 120GB ******** 3 SSD, 4 Internal Hard Drives 3TB, 2 External USB Hard Drives 1.5 TB, Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse, Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset, Corsair K90 Gaming Keyboard, Track IR5

• Corsair Employees

jumpjet: Thank you for the updated information. We have seen bios updates from Gigabyte and Asus to allow a 16BIT devices to function properly. These updates in most cases came out months ago.

Using duel boot is another issue:

This is a BIOS USB HID enumeration issue. Make sure latest BIOS version is used and in BIOS setup that USB legacy support is enabled and if listed gaming keyboard/mouse support is enabled.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am already on the latest BIOS with Legacy support enabled both for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. I know that legacy is working, because if I disable it, my mouse stops working in the BIOS.

I have tried the keyboard in USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and it's the same. Perhaps I should count myself lucky, based on the fact that I can use it to enter the BIOS, and use it within the BIOS.

However it is massively disappointing that it's not working in that area between POST and Windows loading. Simple menus where I just need the Up/Down arrows to work, and the Enter key. I really don't like having to keep a spare keyboard in close proximity just to select an operating system from a menu (Luckily I defaulted that menu to the one I use the most, Windows 7), or select a Normal/Repair boot option from another menu.

I guess that I am going to have to try and find a way to default that other menu to a standard boot to Windows, rather than the current default to a Repair Start-up (if that's possible). Again, luckily I have a very stable machine, so I don't have to press the reset button very often from within Windows due to some lock-up or a BSD.

I really doubt that will be another BIOS coming very quickly for my MB, it was one of the 1st boards manufactured to support the AMD Bulldozer chip, and manufacturer's move on so very quickly in this game! However, I may just get lucky, you never know.

Cheers

A while back I contacted MSI support regarding this and they basically told me that since they don't have a k90 to test with I was out of luck. That being said, on that board, an older bios actually fixed my bios issue. This thing between post and windows is weird, I don't have that.

Yes it is strange, considering that it's working within the BIOS.

I don't particular like flashing to old BIOS's, most because of the loss of profiles, and having to setup everything again.

However in this case the last BIOS update fixed a bug that effected my particular processor. Which means I am not going to go that route. I'll just put up with it for now. If I want to boot to Windows 8, I'll just connect my original USB keyboard so I can select it.

That happens less often as I am NOT impressed with Windows 8

Cheers :)

Archived