Corsair Community

H100 Can't keep my FX-8150 Cool

myosick

I had a Noctua NH-D14 on AMD FX-8150. It did an OK job, but the temps would hover around 60-61 degrees C when running Prime95 testing. I read reviews on sites like Tweaktown and it seemed like I should be able to get a few degrees less with an H-100. I like Corsair's support and products, so I installed an H-100 in my HAF932 case. Even running in "Performance" mode, the temperatures ramp up to over 64c after only 4-5 min of prime 95 !!!

I know all the reviews I have seen were with intel CPU's , but shouldn't the H-100 be able to outperform an NH-D14?????

Max CPU Case temp for the FX-8150 is 61c

Hi Steve. Yeah... looks like our rigs are very similar. Thankfully... I have no pump noise at all. I was wondering about the fan profiles as well so I attached the fans direct to 12V.... same result. I also moved the fans on top of the radiator so they were in the "PULL" configuration... same thing.... The only way I could get the temps below 61 was to leave the window open and get the ambient room temp down to 62 F... Which isn't gonna cut it here in Phoenix in the summer time. Hopefully we will get some feedback from Corsair soon.... I would hate to return it... It looks soo much better in my case than that HUGE NH-D14. :D:

Hi Yellowbeard.

Yep... first tried the Fans on the inside pushing air out.

Then on top of the radiator pulling out,

Now I have them on top of the radiator pulling air in from outside and pushing down thru the radiator. Still the same results.

With the control on "performance" I can hear the fans spin up and can see the pump running between 2090 and 2163 RPM.

Ambient temp is 70-72 Farenheit

After only 4 passes on Prime 95 "Blend" test I hit 63-64 Centigrade :eek:

Max case temp on the FX 8150 is 61 C

I don't have any pump noise, so I don't have any air bubbles

I also tried removing and re-applying TIM just in case with AC MX-3

No improvement there either.

What do you suggest?? Anything?

Another set of fans help?

Or is the H100 just not heavy-duty enough?

If not.... I can't really go along with the description on your product page...

"Featuring a full 240mm radiator and two 120mm fans, the Corsair Hydro Series H100 extreme performance liquid CPU cooler is designed to deliver cooling performance that meets the needs of even the most demanding enthusiast."

Thanks in advance for your help.

Right now I have the H100 fans setup to exhaust, but did have them as intakes at first, didn't notice much difference. I may change back to intakes again as you recommend.

myosick: Glad to hear that you don't have the pump noise, mine is off and on, hope it clears up soon or it's going back to Frys.

Something does not sound right.. while I do not have a fx chip or h100, on my lesser H80 with my 1100T running 1.55V / oc'ed to 4ghz barely sees 40-41C under load after hours of prime 95 (being a thubane, add 10C so 50-51C under load) And that is running just 1 fan vs 2 as I cannot fit 2 in my micro atx setup.

Is your case in a cabinet at all or where is the location of the case vs intake air?

Just a minute guys, let's think about this: A FX-8150 is an eight core CPU rated at 125W TDP, which is in the high range of PC CPUs. If you've read reviews of the 8150, you know that it is a rather power hungry CPU, in some reviews I've seen it used more power than a Phenom II X6, or an i7-980 at full load. That is not really surprising given the eight core architecture, and due to the power efficiency of the new architecture not quite performing as well as AMD said it would (according to reviews I've seen.)

As I imagine you all are AMD CPU fans, you are familiar with the lower full load CPU temps that other high end AMD CPU achieve, compared to similar Intel CPUs. That also is generally the case when OCing those AMD CPUs. Given the tests I've seen of the 8150, that CPU is just not the same. Full load OC tests I've seen with excellent CPU coolers resulted in ~85C temps with the 8150. I'm not saying the 8150 is a bad design or a bad CPU, it certainly isn't but is just different than previous AMD CPUs regarding maximum operating temperatures. Earlier AMD CPUs have done remarkably well in staying cooler under high loads than Intel CPUs, but the FX-8150 is a different beast.

Finally, is the H100 CPU cooler the equivalent of a full blown DIY liquid cooling system? No, and it's not intended to be. Did any of you try the stock AMD FX-8150 cooler (if one is supplied.) I see AMD has its own liquid cooler for the 8150, which IMO hints that AMD knows the cooling needs of this CPU. Frankly, IMO ~65C max temperature on a 8150 with a H100 is not bad at all.

Nice input Parsec. You are correct on almost all counts. The Bulldozer is a power hungry 8 core CPU. My whole issue is, I had 60-62 C temps with just an air cooled ND-H14.... The H100 on full should be able to best that.

And I wouldn't dare run my FX-8150 at 80+C... the maximum Case temp for the CPU according to AMD is 61C.... It's not an intel 980X... that's my other PC :laughing:

Like I said in my previous post ... the Corsair product page described the H100 as: " Featuring a full 240mm radiator and two 120mm fans, the Corsair Hydro Series H100 extreme performance liquid CPU cooler is designed to deliver cooling performance that meets the needs of even the most demanding enthusiast."

Other than Yellowbeards question about fan orientation, I haven't gotten any input from Corsair at this point.

That max temp for a FX-8150 of 61C seems low to me, but of course is Tcase. Your i7-980X has a Tcase spec of 68C, and you know that CPU and many others are OCed to core and case temps higher than that all the time, without throttling. Is the 8150 extra delicate in that aspect? Wouldn't it just throttle itself before damage occurred?

To correct my last post, that temp spec is from the Xbit-labs review of the FX-8150. To quote: "During our stability tests the CPU temperature at this frequency (4.6GHz, 1.475V Vcore) didn’t exceed 85°C, according to the under-the-socket diode and 75°C, according to the integrated thermal diode in the CPU itself." What Tcase is under those circumstances is, who knows? Is that Tcase spec the threshold of thermal throttling?

Comparing a H100 to the liquid cooler AMD markets for the 8150 (similar to the H80), the H100 at worst would be equal to that cooler, and likely somewhat better, IMO. Have you ever seen or used the AMD AOI liquid cooler?

A NH-D14 is among the few very best air CPU coolers. I've never used one so have no personal experience. Is the H100 better, equal, or worse in cooling performance used with a FX-8150? I don't know, and Corsair does not claim that it is.

You might want to experiment with adjusting the pressure of the H100's heat plate on the CPU, which might buy you a few degrees. Adding extra fans for push-pull will also improve the temps, but not by 10C, which I'm guessing is what you'd like to see (who wouldn't.) Beyond that, maximizing outside airflow through the radiator is about all you can do, short of using some very high speed fans that will be very loud.

Both of the coolers mentioned here seem to be falling short of your needs, and I can't imagine what other cooler will, besides a DIY water cooling system. Is a OC'd FX-8150 harder to keep cool than a OC'd i7-980X? Starting to look that way. Most enthusiasts ignore the Tcase temp spec, so you are a bit of a special case.

UMMM... any input from Corsair?? or am I on my own?????

Al least I don't have any pump noise.....:sunglasse

At first, I thought, maybe if I get four higher speed fans and add them in push-pull.... but then, If I'm going to spend another 60-80 bucks, I might as well get a more expensive water-cooled system.

I will wait a couple more days for a reply or suggestions from someone at Corsair, then it looks like a trip back to Fry's Electronics wirh a return.

Change the fans on the H100 to a higher cfm and push/pull airflow. Add another 50-60cfm fan to blow across the memory and central motherboard area mounted in the optical bay area if possible and/or add a memory cooling fan kit to move the heat away from the mobo surface and help cool the area adjacent to the cpu.

guys, one question: when you say the fans or on performance mode and the temps dont go down ... are the fans REALLY loud? (are you sure they are spinning as much as they should be) ...

regarding pump noise, from other threads, it's pretty much been verified that pump noise is cause by the PSU giving the pump unit more voltage than it likes. Try hooking it up to a fan controller for power, or anything that can help regulate the power better.

• Corsair Employees
I am not sure if I am seeing this correctly. Your CPU temps are fine to me, I don't see anything that could potentially damage your CPU at this point. Please note the CPU temp is a very subjective matter, there are a lot of variables that needs to be considered to get an ideal CPU temp, from case air flow to ambient temp. I would suggest re organizing your fans may help to lower down the temp or maybe re seat the pump and make sure the thumbscrews are not over tightened. 64C is something I would comfortable with under Prime. Considering that the FX8150 are well known on generating a good amount of heat, I believe the H100 is holding up for what it is being advertised for.

This maximum temp spec of 61C is very ambiguous, AMD's own spec sheet simply calls it, Maximum Temperature: 61C.

Enthusiasts know there are several temperatures related to a CPU, including Core temp, Case temp, Junction temp, and even a Socket temp. Intel clearly states their CPUs maximum temperatures as Tcase, which has a specific thermal monitoring system in the CPU to read and react to the Tcase temperature, if necessary.

Googling for the temperature spec of the FX-8150 will show you the 61C figure, and also discussions of what that temp actually is, with no clear answer. The Core Temp program lists the max temp for this CPU as 90C. I also saw a statement that said AMD specs the stock air cooler for the 8150 good for a 4.2GHz OC, and the 61C temperature.

I also saw idle temp readings for a 8150 with the stock AMD air CPU cooler of under 10C... yes, under ten degrees C. I won't mention the actual figures since I'll be thought of as crazy, so you can see them for yourself:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1741/18/

I have the fx-8150 and the H100 water system and I find it works good. Attached is my bench mark with prime95. Now keep in mind I only ran it for like 20 mins so I could show you the temps I am getting with the H100, also I have the cpu overclocked to 4.8gig on all 8 cores so the temps are a little higher then if I had them on stock I think.

393188962_PrimeTest.thumb.jpg.4798c4691612082cfe5aa43409ad9729.jpg

Im am running 24 X multiplier and using cpuid hardware monitor. The cpu voltage is set at 1.472 volts but increases to 1.54 when stressed. I am by no means a pro at overclocking but I found to be the best setup for me. The only thing I fine annoying is the H100 fans (4 120mm in push / pull) are loud on start up for about 20 seconds or so then quiet down, but I can live with that. i tried to get over 5gig but prime95 fails after a couple seconds.

• 9 months later...

I have an amd 8150 fx cpu and a corsair air cooling sollution with 4 heatpipes, it-s bigger than the stock amd supplied cooler.

I have verry high temps with stock amd cooler, and about 60 degrees with the corsair air cooler, and to resolve the high temperature issue i did the following:

Installed AMD overdrive utility latest version - beta, and started to play with the cpu voltage and multiplier...

All the time i was modifying the vid and multiplier sliders i was running the stability test just so all the cores were loaded at maximum...

Then i set the multiplier to 19 so all cores were running at 3,8GHz, at this point max temp was 63C.

Just so i sense the first sigh of trouble or instability i'm playing some music in the background.

Then i started lowering the VID (cpu voltage) using amd overdrive .

Default was 1,375V and i lowered it step by step untill my sistem hanged.

I reached a minimum stable VID of 1,272V at 3,8GHz in full load and my temps got 10C lower to about 50 C.

Then i've set the bios VID to 1,275 so my computer starts using the lower VID.

Remember to check VID in aida64 or cpu-z or other sensor reading software to be sure that what you set in bios corresponds to reality.

Hope this helps somebody.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just ordered a refurbished Corsair H100 for my FX 8120, but I don't expect especially low temps from it. The large air cooler I am using kept my Phenom quad at around 50 degrees C, with the Bulldozer even at stock clocks it will get hot enough to throttle after a few minutes using OCCT to stress it. Throttling happens between 61 and 64 degrees, I just want to upgrade the cooler to stop this happening as I know the chip can handle the temps.

Just loading Windows with my 4.0ghz overclock and 1.22v will see around 48 degrees, cool & quiet is very useful as it will stay at that temp when idle otherwise.

Playing games and running benchmarks doesn't cause throttling but it does with higher clocks and voltages. I estimate that I will be able to run at 4.3 - 4.5 ghz with the H100 with no throttling. At present I can run OCCT for about 3 minutes before throttling down to 1.4ghz and 57 degrees, then it will go for just over a minute before it happens again. As I say it doesn't throttle when running most games and applications so I will be happy if I can get the same results under stress with a higher clock.

Archived