Corsair Community

CMT12GX3M£A2000C9 in Rampage IV Extreme?

gastropod

I recently (Just before Holidays) bought 3x 4GB Dominator CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 for my (at that time) Rampage II extreme.

I have now decided on a compete upgrade, and to that end now have a Rampage IV, and i7 3930K CPU.

I had hoped that i could add to the 3x 4GB easily (to enable quad channel)with the purchase of 1 X 4GB of the same spec memory, to have on the new board.

OK, that was a touch optimistic perhaps, so how about 2x 4GB?

No!

So, in order to achieve a suitable configuration for my board, i have to buy ANOTHER 3x4GB....Thats another £210.00!!!

Well, thats my understanding of the situation. Am I correct? Would 6x CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 (OR 4x and sell 2!) be ok on this board or would i be better off finding a buyer for the 3x 4GB and then start from scratch with a 4 channel upgrade kit?

Any advice gratefully rec'd.

Would 6x CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 be ok on this board or would i be better off finding a buyer for the 3x 4GB and then start from scratch with a 4 channel upgrade kit?

It's never recomended to mix two different kits. Even the exact same part number. Honestly you would be better of selling what you have now and by a matched set right off the bat to avoid incompatibility issues.

Not only that your kit is rated at 1.65v and the Sandys are pretty adamant about using 1.5v memory with them. So you would need different voltage RAM anyway! :)

It's never recomended to mix two different kits. Even the exact same part number. Honestly you would be better of selling what you have now and by a matched set right off the bat to avoid incompatibility issues.

Not only that your kit is rated at 1.65v and the Sandys are pretty adamant about using 1.5v memory with them. So you would need different voltage RAM anyway! :)

Many thanks, Peanutz. Had a feeling that would be the answer.

Archived