Corsair Community

ASUS P6T6WS + CMP24GX3M6A1600C9 Configuration help.

dr-grim

Hi,

As the title suggests that's my current setup. I have successfully booted with 24gigs of ram at 1066MHZ but cannot do so with the XMP profile. I have been reading the forums before purchasing the kit and know it requires manual settings but I failed to find a thread that would describe my MB+RAM and by reading other threads I figured that "close enough" just wouldn't cut it.

Considering I have not done any over-clocking ever I would like to request assistance to properly configure said memory. I can't say I know my BIOS in and out but I can find my way if you tell me the parameters names and values.

I am currently using BIOS 0905 and I am NOT overclocking my CPU at all. My previous RAM kit (different brand) was XMP compatible and ran stable without any problem for 2 years at 1600MHz.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help and hope It's not too much of a hassle.

RAM GUY, LEND ME YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND MIGHT! RAAAAAAWR! ::pirate::

Go aheas and load set up defaults first . Then enable XMP . Then under the AITweaker menu (section 3.4 in your owners manual if you want to see what you are looking for) a line that read QPI/DRAMM core voltage. Set that to 1.4. That is middle of the road for the memory controller voltage and should get you up to speed. Whith a high capacity kit you might even need to go as high as 1.45v . But that is the MAX amount you want to go.

Also look for a line that reads DRAMM BUSS voltage.

Make sure that is set to 1.65v. If it is showing as "AUTO" highlight that line and hit "enter" that will show you what the voltage is set to. If it is not 1.65v, change it.

Be sure to save your changes and exit the bios and test with memtest to be sure they are stable.

I have the same kit in a similar MB. I absolutly love it even though im not using any whaere near that much! :)

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your help.

I tried your suggestion and loaded XMP then added the voltage manually. I went for:

QPI/DRAM 1.4 (Since you said it was the middle)

then DRAM BUS VOLT: 1.64v. Upon typing 1.65 it would go for 1.66v and a warning about INTEL SPECS showed up so I dialed it back a notch just in case. Is that ok?

Thanx again for your time.

Upon typing 1.65 it would go for 1.66v and a warning about INTEL SPECS showed up so I dialed it back a notch just in case. Is that ok?

Yes! Completely. Its just a default warning making sure you know what your doing. :) If your Mb misses 1.65 and set it to 1.66v thats okay too. And so should 1.64v. Should be close enough.

Sounds like you found the settings okay. Let me know how you make out!

Well, so far so good thx to you. Having it to 1.64v seems to work fine here. Do you happen to know how it's supposed to fail? I mean, I have read that people get BSODs when they abuse voltage values but what do you get when you're under the specified numbers? This kit is meant to be set at 1.65v but as I said, Bios will only allow for 1.64 or 1.66.

At any rate I want to play it safe...I have been putting the memory to use and it seems to react fine so far, can't complain at all.

I'll report back if anything. In the meantime...24gb means a world of difference from 8.....I guess a nice Corsair SSD drive would also help make things happier inside the case...

Well, so far so good thx to you. Having it to 1.64v seems to work fine here. I mean, I have read that people get BSODs when they abuse voltage values but what do you get when you're under the specified numbers? This kit is meant to be set at 1.65v but as I said, Bios will only allow for 1.64 or 1.66.

Sure, you can test it with memtest. It will take a long time too test 24gigs though. Thats the bummer part about testing such a large capacity kit. Usually the difference between 1.64 and 1.65v is not enough to make any difference.

Dont sweat the voltage thing too much. My ASUS board used to do the same thing. A BIOS update gave the MB the ability to increase voltage by .01 instead .02v increments. You can see if there is a newer BIOS or just leave them at 1.64v. Either way should be fine.

[EDIT] NVM , i looked and you already have the latest BIOS. :)

Do you happen to know how it's supposed to fail?

It not supposed to fail! :p: Usually it will be a BSOD or it it could be any number of other symptoms. Applications that hang or things like that. But i dont expect you to have any more problems from here.

It sounds as if you are running like it should . If you have any issues please just post back.

Archived