Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9, ASUS M4A89GTD, Phenom II X4 980 BE, Integrated 4290

Sejian

New build, 4 days old and having major problems with the screen blacking out/flashing black/tearing with black lines, started while playing a fullscreen game then occurred during normal use, pc does not crash or freeze, it's a persistent problem that only stopped when I installed a graphics card and disabled the on-board, but it's the on-board I want.

Tech friend updated BIOS to 3027. Which is in beta and enables FX cpu support. I've noticed BIOS options missing since the update. No black flashes YET.

These are the settings I've used after searching this forum and reading various posts about this mobo and various kits including the kit I purchased.

Ai Overclock Tuner > D.O.C.P. and profile DDR3-1600Mhz

DRAM Frequency > 1333

DRAM Voltage > 1.70

NB 1.8V Voltage > 2.00

DRAM Command Rate > Was never in my BIOS

Before applying these settings the ram led would 80% of the time flash once (or more) before boot. Other times I'd get memory error beeps etc or it might boot fine. Since applying these options I've restarted twice and performed (like it's so difficult lol) a cold boot and the led hasnt flashed, and no ram error beeps.

Attached is NOT my picture, found it on the web, but those were my BIOS options with 1703 and 2301.

Any assistance or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

aitweaker.png.525d08348db37adf8f539a2337af995a.png

Ai Overclock Tuner > D.O.C.P. and profile DDR3-1600Mhz

DRAM Frequency > 1333

DRAM Voltage > 1.70

NB 1.8V Voltage > 2.00

DRAM Command Rate > Was never in my BIOS

With that CPU 1333mhz is the max frequency supported by your CPU. Do you have the same issues at 1333mmhz?

I'm not understanding your settings. DOCP is set to 1600mhz , but your actual frequency is 1333mhz? DOCP does not set memory parameters other than stock settings. Only XMP profiles do that and they are Intel only. May be why your having problems.

If your machine is stable at 1333mhz i would look for overclocking guides for your CPU and see what you can do to get running AT 1600. Once you start overclocking , nothing is a guarantee.

What is the actual frequency you are trying to achieve? The picture shows settings for 1333 but you mention 1600mhz above?

Ram is 1600Mhz, Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9). The mobo supports 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory.

Honestly I'm just trying to eliminate the graphical errors. Since I've read other threads in this forum section about people having various issues (none of which are mine) with this mobo and ram kit, and changing ram settings worked I thought I'd try too. Either tomorrow or the following day I'm gonna swap out my ram for a 4GB 1333Mhz kit and see if that helps. If all else fails, then I'll be sure it's defective and I'll RMA the mobo if I can, cause I'm dead tired of it, it's going on 4 days I've been troubleshooting.

• Corsair Employees
2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

The answer is in your post it will support up to DDR1333 above that is over clocking, I would try and set the memory frequency manually to DDR1333 and see if its more stable.

Ram is 1600Mhz, Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9). The mobo supports 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory.

Yes , your MB supports it. but it is still based on your CPU. Once you get frequencies higher than 1333mhx ,with your CPU it will require overclocking to go higher, even though your RAM is a 1600mhz kit. It will only run at 1333mhz without the overclock.

Honestly I'm just trying to eliminate the graphical errors.

Sorry, i cant see anything in your description of your PC's behavior that would point to RAM as the culprit. Might want to hang the MB though. Can you swap it out with your reseller?

• 2 weeks later...

About 4 days of troubleshooting later I found the problem, thanks to being stubborn. Turns out the new PSU was the culprit, for some odd reason that is beyond me the PSU was causing the VGA output to spazz, DVI output was fantastic while VGA flickered black which led another tech. who was assisting me to believe it was ATI drivers and/or the VGA port, my stubbornness and frustration (and in defence of ATI) led me to swap the PSU, verifying the problem by testing 3 other PSU and proving I am the megamind muhahahaha *cough*. He's an NVIDIA guy.

I currently have my RAM over-clocked with the settings I mentioned in the first post. All seems stable. Now I just need to get a new SATA or SSD for my primary. I'm feeling the pain with the IDE I'm forced to use and better cooling, my CPU is at it's highest I've seen, 47C.

Thanks for the support ^^ and my apologies for the untimely reply, I was under the weather for the past week.

Archived