Corsair Community

CMX12GX3M3A2000C9 bios settings for GA-X58A-UD5 (Rev 2.0)

Bubbachubbs

Hi there,

Firstly I have no experience setting RAM profiles up in the BIOS previously but I am intelligent enough to be able to follow clear instructions.

I am purchasing a 12gb kit of CMX12GX3M3A2000C9 for my computer I was wondering which BIOS settings (manual settings) to use for a Gigabyte GA-X58A_UD5 (Rev 2.0) with an Intel i7 980X CPU?

I am not overclocking I just want stock stable settings I don't want to use the XMP profile1 as I have never had any luck with XMP settings in the past.

Is it true that X58's with 9XX chips are only designed to run RAM at 1066mhz?

Kind regards,

Bubba

All you should have tro do is load set up defaults and enable XMP in your BIOS. That should set them for you.With large capacity kits you may have to add QPI voltage

Just keep in mind that 2000mhz memory is an awful large overclock for your CPU and it may not be able to actually run at rated specs. X58 chipsets sweet spot seems to be around 1600mhz .

Firstly thank you for the reply it is appreciated

I didn't want to run it at 2000mhz as I've had problems with system instability in the past with XMP profile1 setting the RAM SPD to 1866mhz (2 kits of Corsair TR3X6G1866C9DF 6GB 3x2GB) DDR3 was used total 12Gb) I didn't OC the CPU so that may have been the problem.

I thought because the 12gb kit of CMX12GX3M3A2000C9 is only made up of three sticks it would be less load on the memory bus regardless of density so do you think the QPI voltage would still need a tweak?

You were saying 1600mhz is the sweet spot if so what speed (1600mhz), timings, voltage, 2T or 1T would be safe to start with (I want to set the RAM up manually in the BIOS and not use XMP profiles) I don't have to run it at 2000mhz right? so the timings printed on the RAM would be different if I run it at 1600mhz? any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bubbachubbs

I thought because the 12gb kit of CMX12GX3M3A2000C9 is only made up of three sticks it would be less load on the memory bus regardless of density so do you think the QPI voltage would still need a tweak?

Yes, it's entirely possible it still needs to be upped some. Start out with 1.35v and go up in small increments if you have to. Just do not go above 1.45v as that is the max voltage you would want to give that.

You were saying 1600mhz is the sweet spot if so what speed (1600mhz), timings, voltage, 2T or 1T would be safe to start with (I want to set the RAM up manually in the BIOS and not use XMP profiles) I don't have to run it at 2000mhz right? so the timings printed on the RAM would be different if I run it at 1600mhz? any help is appreciated.

Just to be safe i would start out with the timings on the stick at 2t CCR. You can always tighten them up some after you get it stable first. Then just test your settings with memtest as you go.

You could also run CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab. there might be a JDEC table for 1600mhz already listed . If not use the set of settings closest to 1600mhz.

Hi again,

I installed the ram and manually set the timings to 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24, 2t, Trfc 88, 1.64v, and QPI VTT to 1.3v.

The ram shows up as 1599mhz in CPU-Z I ran Memtest 86+ for 3 hours there were no errors I stopped it there because I needed to reload windows as it wasn't installed so I could get the computer operational. I will run memtest for a longer period while I'm sleeping to double check.

I was thinking of maybe playing around with lowering the VTT voltage and tightening the timings later. I am very new to setting things up in the BIOS normally I leave everything on Auto. I think I might try a bit of overclocking after I've done some thorough research I acquired this computer from the company it was used for desktop publishing and has been replaced with a faster machine so basically it's was free apart from putting RAM and a couple of hard drives in it.

Thanks again P I'll update you if anything go wrong in the short term so far so good.

Hi all.

I got the same cpu.

The 980x ave no problem runing memory at 2000mhz up to 5 stick ave memory.

With 6 stick you ave to adjust voltage.

But is u use only one kit, u sould be able to run memory at 2000mhz

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (Rev 2.0) Support DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules. Check is bios is up to date.

I got the same cpu.

The 980x ave no problem runing memory at 2000mhz up to 5 stick ave memory.

With 6 stick you ave to adjust voltage.

Every CPU is different. Even within the same family. Just because one CPu will run 2000mhz does not mean that the next one off the line will.

Why would you use 5 sticks? You are actually loosing performance because you are loosing the triple channel mode and using a "hybrid" configuration. And yes with all slots filled you need to adjust voltages. but that is normal for enthusiast memory

hi peanutz94.

I dont want to use 5 sticks. That was only some test i made.

And no i dont loost the triple channel.

I dont now if all x58 motherboard ore the same, but with all 3 blue slot full on a DX58SO2.

It iworck in triple channel, even is u ave 1, 2 or 3 stick in black slot.

I want to give for exemple that i ave to adjust voltage wend overclockiing with all 6 stick ove Dominator GT CMT6GX3M3A2000C8.

Archived