Corsair Community

Corsair quality - WTH?

wlw_wl

Hi guys,

I've been using many Corsair parts over the years in many PCs, tonnes of CX 430 PSU in budget rigs for example.

I always held Corsair in high regard for the quality of their products and used them for myself as well as clients.

Few days ago I ordered numerous parts for a new build for my client.

It seems that you lowered the bar on the quality control by a notch or ten.

The PC consists of (among other things):

Graphite 600T - the MoBo/HDD screws included are rusted out-of-the box; the fan controller is missing one fan connector, the wires are just sticking out

Hydro H100 - few of the radiator fins are bent; CPU block mounting screws lack cut outs for screwdriver so it cannot be mounted properly as fingers won't fit because of high VRM radiators on 3 sides (Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3); I don't know if it's normal for this device (never used it before and never will again) but upon power up, it runs the fans at 100% for 10s or so - very loud and annoying

EDIT/ADDED: also the pump is louder than all the fans on lowest and medium setting - should it be like that...?

HX 850W PSU - standby converter is making loud hissing and whining sounds

On top of that the H100 with stock fans does not fit on top of the 600T, the fans have to go under the top removable grill but then it doesn't fit right when you do that.

There also are Force GT 120GB SSD and 16GBs of 1600 Vengeance DDR3, but those are good thankfully.

It's those little quality details that always made Corsair shine and made me tell others to buy Corsair above anything else, but rusty screws and wires sticking out?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry about that, but please use the link on the left and create an RMA request for each item and explain the damaged or missing parts; then please call our customer service and give them the case number I am sure they will take care of you right away.

I read the H100 noises thread ( http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=97733 ), nothing you can do about it, can you?

Replacing faulty pump with another faulty pump isn't a solution.

As for the HX 850 power supply, it makes the noises I mentioned plus sometimes it blows the 10 Amp fuse of my flat's wall sockets circuit when I flick the switch on the back of it. This qualifies for an RMA undeniably.

As for the rusty screws and incomplete fan controller of the 600T, I'm not going to send the whole case for that, am I?

• Corsair Employees
As I suggested you should contact our customer service once you got the RMA conformation, the number is listed under contact on the main site. And you can install SKYPE and call the toll free number for free I am sure they will take care of you since you just got these items just let them know you purchased them with in 30 days or please contact the reseller.

Oh I do, I do.

Q: When can we expect any constructive answer to H60, H80 and H100 grinding noise problems?

You know very well that "RMA it" won't solve anything. Sure I can help some folks, but that's just provisional.

Q: Can I get a set of screws for the Graphite 600T that are not rusted and another one for the H100 that have screwdriver slots, in a way that doesn't involve RMAing both of them and me paying some $60 or more?

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
Q: When can we expect any constructive answer to H60, H80 and H100 grinding noise problems?

You know very well that "RMA it" won't solve anything. Sure I can help some folks, but that's just provisional.

A: This topic has been covered many times on the forum, the noise you hear is most likely air trapped in the pump that will work its way out. However, some may have a pump that makes more noise than normal but it is a small percentage and we will be happy to replace them.

Q: Can I get a set of screws for the Graphite 600T that are not rusted and another one for the H100 that have screwdriver slots, in a way that doesn't involve RMAing both of them and me paying some $60 or more?

A: I have already explained this in a previous post. But to expand on what I suggested. A RMA is required so we can get your address and send the parts you need to get your unit working. You Do NOT have to send your unit back to get these parts we just need your address and the easiest way is for you to fill out the RMA request.

As you say. What about people who replaced the unit 3 times and each time they received a noisy one?

I varied the voltage supply of the pump and have put it right on the edge where it grinds, but tapping it makes it stop for some time.

Little lower voltage and it won't make those noises at all, little higher and tapping doesn't help.

This doesn't sound like trapped air at all, does it? More like a mechanical issue (resonating, vibrations) above certain RPM.

I have placed and RMA per your advice, thank you for answers and your patience.

• Corsair Employees
While I agree to some extent with your concerns I also have to assume that in some cases some are not giving the unit enough time to settle down we are looking at this to see if there is an issue that needs to be corrected but the percentage of units returned is quite low less than 2%. If you do run into this again just contact our customer service and they will take care of you.

Thanks,

the HX850 from OP was returned and I'm waiting for the outcome,

the H100 works perfect with one of my voltage droppers, also I modded the fans so the top grill of the 600T fits perfectly,

I have placed the RMA for the screws.

Thanks again and I understand that you cannot always give the answers that we would like to get. On the other hand I have never had any Corsair product fail me, and suddenly half of them in one build are not-so-good or just bad, so forgive the tone I had a few times.

Can you forward this question to someone technical enough to give an educated and solid answer (I mean someone who knows Hydro internals well):

Is lowering the pump's voltage a little (0,3 to 0,5V) in any way harmful to the unit?

I'm asking because I have quite a demand for the voltage droppers from all over the world, from Canada through Italy to Australia, and from purely electrical-electronical point of view it is not, but I do not know the details of the internals of Hydro series pumps and especially their controllers, if there is any (which I believe there is).

I don't suppose you want one of those droppers to test if what I'm saying is true, but if you do then that's no problem for me, I'll' be sending a whole batch of them so one more or less won't hurt.

Sorry for double post but I need you to notice this!

I received an email that says:

We apologize for the inconvenicne this might have caused you. We have arranged a UPS pick up for your return. Your RMA number is 1271224. UPS makes 3 attempts to contact you for the pick up. Please allow 3-4 business days for the collection of the material. Please have your package ready. Once we receive your unit in we will then process your replacement promptly.

Regards,

Jelaide O.

RMA Representative

Now I'm not sure whether this is just a standard message and it just means that the small items that I requested will be sent, or that they misunderstood something and an UPS courier will show up to pick up a package that I do not have.

I called customer service and there was a misunderstanding and UPS was in fact meant to pick up a unit that wasn't meant to be picked up. Explained and it's fixed now.

Also talked with tech support and was informed that lowering the voltage by a reasonable amount is 100% safe for Hydro units.

• Corsair Employees

If you want to take that Risk you are welcome to, but if you modify the unit it will VOID the warranty and I would not suggest you lower the voltage on the Pump. But if you want try that you can. And I just spoke every Tech support team member at Corsair and none of our Tech support would have told you this.

Any modification you do to your Corsair Cooling unit will VOID your warranty. Changing the Voltage from what it was designed to run at will VOID the warranty...

I am sorry but there is no room for miss communication on this point.

I agree, there is no room for miss communication.

Yet you misunderstood the concept.

The method I proposed involves no unit modification. NONE. Therefore it cannot void the warranty.

Connecting a rectifying diode before the H100/H80 power connector is equal to running the pump off a fan controller at about 90% to 92% speed, depending on the amount and type of fans connected to the H100/H80. Both ways lower the voltage supplied for the pump.

And this is what I talked about with the Tech support member, I asked about the diode method, he himself said that it's like running it off a fan controller and that they have done it themselves. And that it's 100% safe as long as the temperatures stay safe.

I bet you are recording Customer Service calls, if you don't believe me, you can always check it. On the same call first I explained the UPS situation and the person I talked to changed the RMA submission, then I asked if I could talk to someone with a good knowledge of H100 unit, and he put me through.

If you asked them and they've said "we would never tell such a thing", you must have asked them a wrong question. Again, I advise against any modification of the unit, the so called "voltage dropper" with a rectifying diode by all means EQUALS supplying the pump from a fan controller which is safe.

Sometimes I refer to the H100/H80 unit as "the pump" so maybe that's why you got it confused?

• 2 weeks later...

I received the following question out of the blue:

Hello,

Are you referring to the thick power cord?

Corsair Customer Service

I replied that I'm not really sure where that comes from, but haven't got any further response.

Archived