Corsair Community

Rocketraid 620 on X58 w. Force3 180GB

nubsedasse

My experiences with the Highpoint Rocketraid 620 on my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 board.

In order for Windows to be installed on the SSD@Rocketraid, a RAID array must be set up. With a single drive, this is only possible in JBOD mode.

Windows setup (Windows 7) will then allow you to load the drivers for the Rocketraid controller and see your SSD.

IMPORTANT notice :bigeyes:

The top most PCI Express x1 slot shares its bandwidth with other components from the X58 southbridge, ie. Gb Lan, Gigabyte SATA2 etc.

so you HAVE to use a different PCI Express socket on your X58 board.

My results in ATTO went up from 180/200MB/s Read speeds to around 300MB/s after moving the Rocketraid 620 controller to another PCI Express socket:

1359500388_ATTORR62x-Force3180GB.jpg.c7b1c22755d0a13886e985113a1e6b24.jpg

Furthermore:

As far as I know, the implementation of the SATA2 ports on the X58 boards allows for only PCIe 1.1 250MB/s per port - due to PCIe lanes being shared among other peripherals like storage, usb, firewire, onboard sound, Gbit Lan etc.

So it should be true, that the ICH10R controller is assigned 2x PCIe 1.1 (500MB/s) lanes per SATAII controller (master + slave), hence a maximum of 500MB/s with ie 2 SSD's in Raid-0@ICH10R.

This is why it should not be possible to achieve more than 250MB/s per channel on the ICH10R controller and the theoretical maximum on the ICH10R chipset would be 500MB/s.

Despite having now reached a better speed on my Rocketraid, my soundcard, both onboard and x-fi, now makes crackling noise / stutters all the time :)

I bet it's due to the Nvidia Nforce 200 pcie bridging chip getting activated on the x58 chipset, thinking I'm running SLI... but I aint :P

So **** Highpoint Rocketraid on X58 if you care for good sound and full PCIe 2.0 x1 bandwidth :)

UPDATE:

I've given up on the RocketRaid 620 and tossed it away. The sound crackling went away after reverting to bios f12 from f13 on my gigabyte ex58-ud5 board. Bad bios i guess. But the ICH10R with AHCI and no other drives installed gives me 280MBs max in Atto, compared to 300MBs on the RocketRaid 620 - it still aint worth it, considering the fairly long boottime etc.

Furthermore:

As far as I know, the implementation of the SATA2 ports on the X58 boards allows for only PCIe 1.1 250MB/s per port - due to PCIe lanes being shared among other peripherals like storage, usb, firewire, onboard sound, Gbit Lan etc.

So it should be true, that the ICH10R controller is assigned 2x PCIe 1.1 (500MB/s) lanes per SATAII controller (master + slave), hence a maximum of 500MB/s with ie 2 SSD's in Raid-0@ICH10R.

This is why it should not be possible to achieve more than 250MB/s per channel on the ICH10R controller and the theoretical maximum on the ICH10R chipset would be 500MB/s.

Interesting information, and your conclusion seems reasonable. I don't have the X58/ICH10R datasheets available right now, which shows the PCI-E lanes from each chip.

But, I wanted to show you a result I had with an ICH10R that is used on a G45 chipset board (Intel) I have with three SATA II SSDs in RAID 0. I'm not sure if this screenshot will be allowed, but I'll try. You might be able to identify the SSDs, an older one now but they work great.

1701037656_as-ssd3XG2RAID016kWBCMBs12_29_2011.png.d9512ac0a60fb9c9ddc87f5440257fe6.png

I'm considering purchasing another Force 3 180GB along with a RocketRaid 2720SGL controller, which should do well, but it's a lot of money to spend on something I could achieve by switching to the X79 or switching my mainboard to a X58 with SATA3 support, if I could find it used.

I could achieve by switching to the X79 or switching my mainboard to a X58 with SATA3 support, if I could find it used.

The Marvell controllers used on X58 boards are not very good and especially in RAID. I would not suggest this unless you can get the board VERY cheap. The performance is poor and often unstable. And, some of the controllers will not even do RAID, depending upon their implementation by the MOBO maker. Shop carefully.

Hi nubsedasse.

I got a X58 motherboard with a sata 3 controller. But it is no good it use the same marvell 9128 as highpiont 620 controller.

A new pc with x79 chipset ave native intel sata 3.

But it will cost you arond 1000$ for moterboard,memory and cpu.

The highpiont 2720sgl is a good solution and you could alwas buy a Intel RAID Controller Card 6G SAS PCI-E x8 8 internal ports (RS2WC080). But it is twice the price.

My advise, buy a controller with a pcie 8x interface.

sincerly yours.

Archived