Corsair Community

BOXDX58SO2 Memory Problems

mothandras

I bought the Intel BOXDX58SO2, to replace a malfunctioning Gigabyte board X58A-U3DR Rev 1. I had just upgraded my video card to the new Gigabyte 7970 and the system became unstable, when playing games my frame rates were worse than the video card it replaced (GTX 480). The XMP profile for CMD12GX3M6A1600C8, were not stable anymore either after being stable for 2+ years. When I received the new motherboard BOXDX58SO2, it wouldn't even boot. I contacted Intel's costumer service but they just had me running in circles trying different memory, video cards, PSU. I took my computer to work where I do IT 24/7/365 and replaced this ram kit with a set of 1.5v ddr3 basic memory. The system booted fine after that. I reloaded windows and proceeded to update the bios on BOXDX58SO2. The bios was a little over a year out of date. After the bios update it recognized my CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 and booted fine. I then proceeded to try to use the XMP profile for 1600Mhz and it worked fine. The system ran for about 2 days stable, then this morning it was hung. After trying to restart the system several times without success. I used the back to bios feature (which is great), and got back into bios. It used a default setting to get memory back to 1066mhz and booted to bios fine. I am currently running @ 1066mhz and running fine. Will this board not support the 1600mhz XMP? Is there something wrong with this memory? Is it overheating causing instability? The AIRFLOW fan unit for these modules died about a year ago, it made all kinds of noise anyway. So I is just being cooled by my intake fan. Is there another set of memory that would work better with my BOXDX58SO2? Higher Speed memory? Intel suggests memory with 1.5v only, but the overclocking features of the board suggest that it will work with higher voltages.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employees

The I950/I960 CPU are notorious for not running well above DDR1600 I would try and load setup defaults and enable XMP then set the memory frequency manually to DDR1333 and check the CPU QPI and see what is being set when XMP is enabled. With the CPU you have the Dram/CPU QPI Voltage should not be over 1.45 Volts. and the memory Voltage should eb set to 1.65 Volts.

And on the fan just request an RMA for the CMXAF2 and we can replace the fan.

What are the performance differences for my setup between DDR1066, DDR1333, and DDR1600?

Since I am not overclocking am I really missing out on that much performance?

I am water cooling now with a Corsair H60 unit, what would a decent overclock be to take advantage of the DDR1333 as you suggested?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry I cannot tell you how to over clock, but you can do a Google search for that. Did you try what I suggested and just load setup defaults and enable XMP and increase the CPU/QPI or DRAM/QPI Voltage to no more than 1.45 Volts?

Archived