Corsair Community

H100 backplate on P8Z68-Pro3

mattw

Building a new system. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is normal when mounting the backplate on the back of a P8Z68-Pro3 motherboard for the backplate to be ever-so-slightly loose. I have all the double-ended screws in. The plate is properly oriented so the screws on the built-into-motherboard cpu backplate are not obstructing the H100 backplate from seating (looks just like the blog post). The double-ended screws are into the backplate as much as I can make them. (After hand screwing left them loose, I tried to give them an extra partial turn with pliers, but they seem to be fully in)

Despite this, there is just a tiny bit of wiggle on the backplate. The pads are still in place/etc. Is this normal or could my backplate have some sort of defect?

It seems like we are seeing more of this issue lately, as if mother boards have suddenly become thinner. IMO, it is not normal for the backplate to be loose as you described. Both of my H-series coolers do not have loose back plates, on ASUS socket 1155 and 1366 boards. Other users have been seeing this recently. Some find that once they mount the pump and tighten the thumb screws, the back plate is no longer loose. If that works for you, then you should be fine. If it remains loose, you won't have good contact between the CPU and heat plate of the pump, and the cooling ability will be compromised.

The fix for this is to remove the backplate, and then remove the plastic washer/spacer on each of the four corners where the nuts are. They will come off, they are not glued or threaded on. You'll need four washers that will fit over the tall threaded nuts. It's better to remove the plastic insulator from the back plate first, put on the washers (not to thick), replace the insulator, and then the plastic washers/spacers.

The problem is the tall nuts on the back plate protrude above the surface of the mother board on a few boards like yours. That's why the standoffs stop turning, they contact the nut instead of the mother board. I checked my boards, the nuts do not stick up above the surface of the board. We thought that the plastic spacers might be out of spec, to thin, but that was not the case. It seems some mother boards are thinner than others.

Let us know how things work out for you.

Put pump on should work fine... Did for me and a few others at least... I think they only stay loose after pump install on 775 mobo's from the few thread I've followed on this... My h60 and h100 did this and both worked perfolectly after pump install. Very tight and perfect spread when removed.

Hmm. Before I saw these replies, I talked to two other people who recommended the H100 to me. Both of them said their backplates were very slightly loose until they mounted the block. My block is now mounted very firmly in place and the backplate no longer has any give at all.

Archived