Corsair Community

DDR3 Secondary Timings

MikePatton

because those are actually motherboard settings and no longer needed to set RAM up. Just set the first 4 he board will set the rest.

That's what I've done so far, set it to AUTO and then tweak the main values (tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS), the thing is that for example, using the AUTO setting my main values go to 8-8-8-20, when Corsair recommends 9-9-9-24, so that makes me doubt the AUTO accuracy for the secondary timings as well.

I've found some info around but I'm not sure how compatible it is with DDR3:

http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html

Are you saying each board is different for the other settings or is there a standard that it sets based on the first four.

For what I've seen it looks like each board is different and there's no standard patter for them, but some people claim to have gained a lot of stability by tweaking these values, thus my curiosity and concern.

That's what I've done so far, set it to AUTO and then tweak the main values (tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS), the thing is that for example, using the AUTO setting my main values go to 8-8-8-20, when Corsair recommends 9-9-9-24, so that makes me doubt the AUTO accuracy for the secondary timings as well.

As long as the first 4 are saved after you change them , there shouldn't be any problems.

Run CPU-z and look at the SPD tab . there should be the JDEC timing tables listed. What does it say for 1066mhz?

The timings should be 9-9-9-24 at 1333mhz. But your CPU has only a 1066mhz fsb. So the values it's detecting for 1066mmhz could be different than those used for 1333mhz.

For example, the kit i have the timings are 9-9-9-24 at 1600mhz but at 1333mhz they could be 8-8-8-24

Quote:

Originally Posted by VagueRant View Post

Are you saying each board is different for the other settings or is there a standard that it sets based on the first four.

For what I've seen it looks like each board is different and there's no standard patter for them, but some people claim to have gained a lot of stability by tweaking these values, thus my curiosity and concern.

Pretty sure it's more dependent on the CPU than the MB as to what the rest are set to.

As long as the first 4 are saved after you change them , there shouldn't be any problems.

Yeah, they stay saved just fine.

Run CPU-z and look at the SPD tab . there should be the JDEC timing tables listed. What does it say for 1066mhz?

JEDEC#2 (592MHz) has them at 8-8-8-22. I went with 9-9-9-24 because I was planning on running 4 modules and I read that when doing so it's better to have them as loose as possible.

The timings should be 9-9-9-24 at 1333mhz. But your CPU has only a 1066mhz fsb. So the values it's detecting for 1066mmhz could be different than those used for 1333mhz.

For example, the kit i have the timings are 9-9-9-24 at 1600mhz but at 1333mhz they could be 8-8-8-24

Yeah but even if I OC my CPU to 333Mhz and run them at 1333MHz the auto values still switching to 8-8-8-20 when it should be 9-9-9-24.

Archived