Corsair Community

Tweak 1.8V, 1600MHz kit to run at rated speedsing

Splits

Hi,

I have 2x2GB Corsair Dominator modules, rated for 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.8V. I can't fetch the parts number right now because I'm posting from a different computer.

Since I built this desktop a couple of years ago I've been having trouble actually getting them to run at 1600MHz. I set the correct voltage and timings in the BIOS, but if I run higher than around 1066MHz my system will eventually hang. My motherboard specification says that it is able to cope with 1600MHz but I figured I'd just save myself some effort and run the memory at 1066MHz, 1.8V and lower timings instead. But, if I go any lower than 9-9-9-24, my system will eventually hang again. I had the same issue with my old processor, a Phenom II X2 550.

Right now I'm thinking that the modules aren't getting the power they're meant to be getting. Is this possible? I've seen a couple of people complain about VRM problems on MSI motherboards, and speedfan reports a Vdimm of only around 1.15V. Low voltage would seem to explain why my system hangs if I try to increase memory clock speed/decrease timings. Or does anyone think it could be down to something else?

Thanks!

EDIT: I buggered up the topic title, eh.

But even then, why does my computer hang when I set it to run at 1333MHz, and shouldn't I ought to be able to tighten the timings if I run at 1066MHz without it crashing?

My CPU is already overclocked but I did it via changing the multiplier. I guess I could have a play and do it by increasing the FSB instead. Thanks =)

Hey Splits. Seems I have the same problem as you with the same brand motherboard. I've started my own thread here and hope I can find a way to get the ram speed back to 1333. At 1066 I'm taking a 20% performance hit with the memory which does not seem to be good.

Archived