Corsair Community

A stick of CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 fails at 9-9-9-24 but works at 9-9-9-27

Pav40

Hi all,

Recently I purchased the 16Gb kit CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9. After the installation I started getting BSODs. As a result I ran on my memory both Memtest 86+ ver. 4.2 and Memtest 86 ver. 4.0b. After a number of experiments with different configurations and settings of the modules I found out that one of them is failing at 1333/1600 MHz, 1.5 – 1.55 volts when its timings are set at 9-9-9-24. If I relax the timings down to 9-9-9-27 the errors do not occur.

I have tested on two systems with identical symptoms:

System 1 – ASUS Sabertooth FX + Phenom 1090T

System 2 – ASUS P8P67 Pro + Core I7 2600K

Now my question is whether this is normal. May I go on with the memories set at 9-9-9-27 or should I insist on RMA with the retailer?

Thank you for your reply, RAM GUY:

The memory fails both at 1333 and 1600 MHz with or w/o legacy USB support. I tried as well increasing the voltage to 1.55, but to no avail.

What is more, at the second pass of memtest 86+ v. 4.20 it gave me errors even at 9-9-9-27.

• Corsair Employees
That sounds more like some other problem, test the modules one at a time and go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and set the memory frequency to DDR1333 and leave the timings at AUTO but set Command Rate to 2T Manualy and Disable legacy USB and exit the BIOS saving changes and boot with a CD from http://www.memtest.org.

Well, I agree. The issue is strange indeed. I have put the sticks in the Intel machine once again and they have passed a number of runs of Memtest86+ 4.20 at 9-9-9-27, CR2T, default voltage. On that machine I cannot disable legacy USB because it has no CD and I must run Memtest from an USB drive.

When I test on the AMD machine, however, one and the same stick fails notwithstanding the settings (I did not try 1.6 volts, however). I have tested on the AMD machine with an 8 GB pair of CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and they run flawlessly at 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 1T, default voltage. The same goes for the remaining 3 sticks of the 16 GB kit.

So, my impression is that on the AMD machine for whatever reasons one of the sticks in the 16Gb kit fails regardless of the BIOS settings. It does not however fail on the Intel machine when its timings are set at 9-9-9-27 instead of 9-9-9-24. Apparently, I will run the 16Gb kit on the Intel machine.

PS. The Intel machine is powered by Corsair TX 950 and the AMD machine is powered by Corsair HX1000W.

• Corsair Employees
With more than 2 modules installed you cannot run the command Rate at 1T, it will have to be set to 2T and on the AMD MB you listed; it officially only supports DDR1333 and what I would run them at. I would try and increase the CPU/NB Voltage +.2 Volts when all four slots are filled.

Correct, the officially supported speed of Phenom's memory controller is 1333 MHz. The stick fails however even at that speed with the memory controller voltage set at 1.35 volts.

Anyway, I am tired of experimenting with the AMD system. The sticks have been so far working OK on the Intel system. I ran both memtest 86+ v. 4.2 - 2 passes and Prime 95 - 6 hours. Neither test showed problems.

Archived