Corsair Community

Flash a GT from DOS ?

HornetMaX

Hi all,

I'm about to put together a new build that will use a Force GT 120 as OS drive (Win7 64). I have 3 questions (one off topic).

I'd like to be sure the SSD has the latest firmware (1.3.3) before I install the OS. I know I could just flash the SSD with the provided .exe from another PC, but I've read Yellowbeard's post on the "New Bootable USB Flash Drive tool" and it states:

We have posted a new bootable USB flash drive tool in our How To section. This tool has 2 default options; 1 for Memtest and 1 for a DOS prompt.

The DOS prompt option is very useful for using the SSD firmware flash tools.

Question 1: As I managed to install the tool on an USB drive (works fine for memtest and parted magic), I was wandering how could I use it to flash the Force GT to 1.3.3 before installing the OS. Anyone knows ?

Question 2: Is there a way to know which firmware is on my Force 3 before atually hooking it up on a PC ? Anything on its box or on the stickers on its case ? Cause maybe my SSD is already on 1.3.3 ...

Question 3: Off topic, but does anybody know if the bootable usb flash drive tool can be used to install Win7 (Ultimate x64) from the usb ? Any specific parameter to put in the menu.lst file ?

Thanks,

MaX.

1-don't tink you can flash in dos only with os install. if you find a way to do it in dos please i wil like to now.

2-you could cheak de fabrication date on ssd sticker if it is made after october 2011, then for sure you ave 1.3.3 firmware alredy intall.

3- Yes you can instal windows 7 from usb just donload tool rfrom microsoft. All steep is clearly explain explain on web site. Her the link.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

1. I don't know if this upgrade tool will work with DOS, but you can use Hiren's Boot CD or Windows 7 32bit repair console to run the upgrade tool.

3. Just copy the content of your Win 7 DVD onto the USB flash drive and boot from it, no need to use any flash drive tool.

Turns out it's already on 1.3.3, so no issue.

3. Just copy the content of your Win 7 DVD onto the USB flash drive and boot from it, no need to use any flash drive tool.

Uh, this won't work: the usb drive must be made bootable (as i won't have any OS installed on the new rig).

3- Yes you can instal windows 7 from usb just donload tool rfrom microsoft. All steep is clearly explain explain on web site. Her the link.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Yeah I know about it, just wondered if the pendrivelinux thingy was able to do the same (as I have it already on a usb stick).

I gave it a quick try (default options) and it didn't work: came up with a strange error i don't even remember exactly (something like "the image must be located on the same space/area" or something). It probably needs some magic option. No big deal.

Regards,

Uh, this won't work: the usb drive must be made bootable (as i won't have any OS installed on the new rig).

Have you tried it? It works great for me. As long as your mainboard allows booting from USB flash, it should work. Windows 7 provides its own bootmanager so you don't have to make the USB flash bootable.

Have you tried it? It works great for me. As long as your mainboard allows booting from USB flash, it should work. Windows 7 provides its own bootmanager so you don't have to make the USB flash bootable.

That's strange then, why would Microsoft have a dedicated tool to make USB sticks bootable in order to install Win7 from the stick ... :confused:

All the tutorials I've found around state that to install Win7 on a new rig (no OS) from an USB stick you need to make the USB stick bootable and then put Win7 on it, either with the dedicated Microsoft tool, either manually as indicated here:

Sean's Windows 7 Install Guide & Optimization for SSDs/HDDs

Check the second post, "Configure a drive using a BIOS/UEFI motherboard and MBR format:" and "Guide if you to use a bootable Windows 7 USB:".

Just out of curiosity I'll try the following: I have a DVD burned with just the original microsoft .iso, without using the microsoft tool to make it bootable. I guess it won't boot on my rig built from scratch. But if you're right, it should.

MaX.

That's strange then, why would Microsoft have a dedicated tool to make USB sticks bootable in order to install Win7 from the stick ... :confused:

I don't know why they are doing this, I was asking me the same question. I tried this tool from Microsoft some time ago, and I couldn't make my USB stick bootable.

Just out of curiosity I'll try the following: I have a DVD burned with just the original microsoft .iso, without using the microsoft tool to make it bootable. I guess it won't boot on my rig built from scratch. But if you're right, it should.

Yes, you can burn this ISO image to a DVD and boot from it. Or you can extract the ISO image (e.g. with WinRar) and copy the content to your USB stick to boot from it. Both should work.

It might be necessary to format your USB stick with NTFS; booting from USB stick seems not to work with every stick, some devices are not compatible.

I don't know why they are doing this, I was asking me the same question. I tried this tool from Microsoft some time ago, and I couldn't make my USB stick bootable.

Worked just fine for me with the Microsoft tool.

Win7 64 Ultimate SP1 installed fom usb 2.0 stick to Force GT 120: 6 minutes ! :praise:

Yes, you can burn this ISO image to a DVD and boot from it. Or you can extract the ISO image (e.g. with WinRar) and copy the content to your USB stick to boot from it. Both should work.

Maybe it's motherboard related, whatever. I forgot to do the test with the supposedly non-bootable dvd: I was rushing to finish the build before my kids arrive at home). I'll let this mistery unsolved :)

MaX.

Archived