Corsair Community

System will not POST or beep

larch

I have my system set up out of its case, with only motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, and PSU hooked up. With one stick of memory inserted, or without any RAM, the result is the same. The motherboard light goes on and the CPU fan starts. The PSU fan comes on for half a second, then stops. The system is hooked up to a monitor via VGA, and it will not POST or beep, even after waiting for a few minutes.

This is with a new, replacement motherboard. (I don't know if its speaker is working.) With my last motherboard, I saw the exact same symptoms. I thought I fried the old motherboard with static electricity, so I got it RMA'd. But now that a fresh motherboard is showing the same problems, could my PSU be bad?

OK, I found a working system to swap PSUs with. After plugging my AX850 into that system, it booted into Windows no problem. And after plugging that system's PSU into my motherboard, I still have the exact same problem (CPU fan starts, no POST, no beep, even without memory).

I think I'll conclude here that this motherboard is also dead, unless anyone here thinks it might by my CPU. I'm concluding that this is not a Corsair problem.

That said, I'd still appreciate some sage advice here. Does anyone have any thoughts on why I'd see this two times in a row? Bad luck? Incorrect system setup?

As far as I know, you need ram to post. Given that you're running dual-processors, that adds a level of complexity to it. Usually when trouble shooting you want to run with a single stick of ram in the #1 slot, often should work in any slot but sometimes things are finicky (not sure with your dual-processor setup, one stick for each cpu maybe). Do you have a speaker plugged in?

It sounds like this is something you're gonna have to take up with Asus. You might also try some of the other (bigger) support forums since, as you found out, this is likely not a PSU issue.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forum.php

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

http://hardforum.com/

Although the motherboard has two sockets, I'm only using one CPU. I hope that's not giving me trouble, because I haven't bought the 2nd CPU yet.

I just tried a single stick of RAM in each of the 4 recommended slots. No change in results.

The "no RAM beep" test was something I saw on other forums to check for dead motherboards. My last motherboard (same model) beeped without plugging in an external speaker. I found a case with a speaker, plugged it in its speaker; no beeps with or without RAM.

Although the motherboard has two sockets, I'm only using one CPU. I hope that's not giving me trouble, because I haven't bought the 2nd CPU yet.

That does sound possible but I'm not sure as I've never worked with dual cpus. I'd send that question to Asus and post in the motherboard sections of some other forums. The more outlets you tap for information the faster you'll get an answer. Good luck.

I'm sure it would state in the manual whether or not two CPUs would be required for the board to boot or not. There might even be a BIOS setting for that.

The one or two CPU requirement is so basic, not to mention the memory for each CPU, that must be the first thing you need to confirm. Without that, trying other things is a waste of time.

The manual gives different RAM configurations for CPU1 vs CPU1+CPU2 setups. I think it's basic enough that they don't describe this in detail. I know have the CPU and RAM set up correctly because I was able to run the system like this (for a few days) using the old motherboard, same model.

I'm sending the board for RMA. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Archived