Corsair Community

BSODs, lockups and others from new Force GT

shizadah

I just got a new Force GT 120GB in the mail. Wondering if this thing is a brick. Here are some symptoms I've been experiencing with this new SSD --

- Lockups when running HDTune error scan

- BSOD when running ATTO disk benchmark

- BSOD when installing new programs

My Corsair Force 3 (which shipped with the system) checks out just fine, however. My system is using AHCI with the Marvel SE9128 controller (these are the only two available SATA3 ports on my mobo). Firmware on both SSDs are up to date at 1.3.3.

The HDTune benchmarks are also terrible (for both drives) --

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/Elwood54/f3ssd.png

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/Elwood54/gt3ssd.png

Anyone have any advice as to what I can do from here?

• 2 weeks later...

@shizadah: Like Toasted already mentioned, those results are typical for HDTune, to compare your speeds with advertised specs use ATTO.

@duke53: You should upgrade your drive's firmware to the most recent revision, 1.3.3 solved some BSOD and freezing issues. If freezings/lockups still occur after upgrade, you should SecureErase the drive and do a clean Win 7 installation.

@all: To gain more stability you should connect your SSD to native Intel SATA ports, the speed difference to Marvell SATA3 is barely noticable (only with benchmark). The Marvell controller will typically reach ~280 MB/s write and ~400 MB/s read speed.

Shizadah have the same issue with 1.3.3, so I don't see the point of it to upgrade.

Any Fw upgrade has a chance to brick the drive, or cause major transfer rate drop.

"If freezings/lockups still occur after upgrade, you should SecureErase the drive and do a clean Win 7 installation."

Thats exactly what I don't want to do.

Insn't there any other way to restore my system after SecureErase than reinstalling everything separately?

Insn't there any other way to restore my system after SecureErase than reinstalling everything separately?

No, not that we have found. Also, don't base your decision to update firmware based on 1 other person. A huge number of people have resolved issues by updating the firmware.

Hi all.

A ave marvell 9128 on my board.

was no good.

I even update marvell firmware with no amilioration.

from wath i understand mavel9128 use pcie 1x.

Mutch to slow for ssd.

I ave buy a pcie 8x controller and now it worck perfecly.

Marvell ave a new firmware 2.2.0.1125.

U could test it and feadback on it.

This is the link for marvell firmware and driver

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

sincrly yours

Shizadah have the same issue with 1.3.3, so I don't see the point of it to upgrade.

There are 2 possible reasons for those issues:

1. An outdated firmware. Corsair recommends to upgrade to 1.3.3.

2. The Marvell controller, I guess this is the reason why Shizadah is still having issues with his drive on 1.3.3.

Like I already mentioned, I would recommend you to connect your SSD to native Intel port and upgrade your drive. Make a backup of all your important data before you upgrade the firmware.

"If freezings/lockups still occur after upgrade, you should SecureErase the drive and do a clean Win 7 installation."

Thats exactly what I don't want to do.

You can clone your OS and restore it after SecureErase. This might work well, but a few users reported issues after restoring the backup. In this case, a clean reinstallation was the only solution.

Can you show one for me?

I never find any report about a helpful fw. upgrade.

You can check this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=102457

I have Marvell too, thats why I don't think it's gone work for me ether.

Marvell is slow enough, I don't want to use sata2.

A sata2 SSD would cost at least 50$ less tan this ****.

That thread is for Force 3.

I think GT serie has even more issues.

My best hope is a new Sabetooth bios update, with the newest marvel fw.

or a new SSD update, that really helps on the people like me.

The 1.3.3 firmware was a major firmware release from SandForce. It specifically addresses the types of issues described here. Again, don't assume it won't help you just because another person has issues. None of the systems in this thread are identical. The best option is to try the 1.3.3 firmware for either Force 3 or Force GT. I cannot stress this enough. If you refuse to try what we suggest, then we cannot help you.

Ok... I updated the fw. to 1.3.3

The update itself doesn't seemed to help at all. After the SecureErase I still have the lockups (daily 1-2)

(-edit- ok, more like 10-20 on a day) but it passing through much faster.

(in most of the cases within 2-5 seconds)

So it's still not perfect, but it's the best choice of my bad options.

-edit- maybe I should RMA this piece of ****.

Archived