Corsair Community

Asus Crosshair V Formula + AMD FX + 16 GB quad core kit = ??

TooL

Does anyone have any real world experience with the new 8 core AMD FX processor and my motherboard, the Asus Crosshair V Formula? Specifically the 1866 mhz RAM that the processor can use in a quad kit configuration (16 GB).

Only reason I am asking for real world experience is because of the negative reviews I am seeing everywhere about the quad kits (not just Corsair products!!!). Either people are not adjusting settings right or I need to wait awhile for this type of RAM to mature (edit: or I need to wait for a 2x8GB kit to pop into existence due to memory controller?).

I dropped my old motherboard for the Asus Crosshair V Formula and moved my RAM and processor to it (processor overclocks better on it!) and am waiting for the cash to upgrade to FX which would require a RAM upgrade too.

• Corsair Employees
As the MB BIOS's mature I am sure this platform will over clock better, but most are not able to run much over DDR1600 depending on the CPU. I would check the reviews on this MB and see what reviewers have been able to clock the memory and CPU to. Sorry have not played with this MB yet.

As the MB BIOS's mature I am sure this platform will over clock better, but most are not able to run much over DDR1600 depending on the CPU. I would check the reviews on this MB and see what reviewers have been able to clock the memory and CPU to. Sorry have not played with this MB yet.

From what I understand the AMD FX-8150 controller is built for 1866 mhz RAM (without overclocking). The board I have goes up to 2133 mhz RAM. It does have anything over 1600 listed as "OC" but for that AMD chip it isn't an OC.

I am more curious to see if anyone has this combination of hardware.

I would also like to know if any 8 GB chips will be made by Corsair for the 1866 mhz speed. From what I have read the motherboard hates 4 chips in it of any size or speed so having 2 big chips, even with slower timings, would be a better option.

Edit: Heh overkill... CMT32GX3M4X1866C9

• 10 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this. I now have the FX-8150 and am looking at upgrading the RAM. According to the AMD Memory Compatibility thread (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110428) it says that is the motherboard has 4 slots then the chip can only handle 1600Mhz ram?

Does that mean if I only use 2 chips those two chips must be rated for 1600Mhz? I can't add 4 chips unless I get another CPU fan currently so I am stuck to a 2x"Whatever" setup (looking at 2 chips at 8 GB each). I want to get the most bang for my buck (like CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R if it can handle it). I have not researched the "fill all 4 slots = bad" theory recently and there has been a ton of bios updates to my board since my last post.

If it can't handle that specific RAM then I guess I have to get: CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R

Unless you have a better idea?

Edit: Another crazy idea came up. Use CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R at 1600 MHz with tighter timings since its been deemed as "better quality" ram? Noticed its a few $$ cheaper than 1600 mhz too.

Does that mean if I only use 2 chips those two chips must be rated for 1600Mhz?

Yes, according to that chart. And that is a limitation of the memory controllers for those CPU's. That does not mean that you can njot try an 1866 mhz kit, it may work, it may , not. Worstcase scenario, you would have to run them at 1600mhz.

I can't add 4 chips unless I get another CPU fan

Why? Or does your CPU fan hang over the other slots?

Edit: Another crazy idea came up. Use CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R at 1600 MHz with tighter timings since its been deemed as "better quality" ram? Noticed its a few $$ cheaper than 1600 mhz too.

One kit is not better quality than the other, just one kit is slightly faster than the other. All the Vengeance kits are made from basically the same chips so there is no difference in "quality" But yes, if they will not run at 1866mhz you could try 1600mhz with slightly tighter timings.

Either way you go with this you are not going to notice any real world performance difference between the two settings. Whether it be 1866 at advertized timings, or 1600mhz at slightly tighter timings. You would have to run a benchmark and look at the numbers would be the only wat to tell the difference.

Archived