Corsair Community

exploding TX850 V2s

rockit711

i recently bought a TX850 V2 PSU and was quite happy with it until it exploded 5 seconds after starting it up the first time (very loud bang and sparks shooting out of the fan hole).

I returned it to the store I bought it from and was given a replacement.

the replacement was from the same batch with a serial number identical except the last 2 digits (was 44 higher than the previous).

this power supply lasted about 12 hours (spread over 2 days) before it likewise exploded in identical fashion to the first.

The system im running it in shouldnt be an issue for the PSU (the PSU calculator showed that a TX650 should be sufficient, but bought a better one for future systems)

I have since returned the PSU to the store again and was given a refund and was banned from buying power supplies from them ever again, as they accused me of doing something wrong to make them explode!

I was just wondering a few things

1) is there anythign I could be doing that would make these PSUs explode? my computer has been running quite happily on a very cheap brand PSU for the last 3 years (and is running again on that PSU again as i write this). I have plenty of experience with computer wiring and know all cables were plugged in correctly, so i cannot really see that i could have done anythign wrong (especially given the numerous protection circuits that the PSU is supposed to have!).

2) could any of my system components cause this? if so what could cause this (keep in mind that the computer still runs with a cheap power supply with a total of 36A on 12v rails!)? I couldnt think of anything that would cause the power supply to fail in such a fashion.

I am slightly concerned that the entire batch might be faulty (or have a higher failure rate than normal), which was why i asked for a refund

do these power supplies have any known issues? should i just wait for a bit for a new batch and buy one again?

Very strange and unusual, and being banned from further buying a PS from that retailer reminds me of a line from a TV comedy show in the US, "... no power supply for you!!" (originally, "no soup for you!", the "soup nazi", Jerry Seinfeld show).

Regarding if you are causing the PS to... fail loudly, think carefully about what you did differently with the Corsair PS that you did not do with your old PS. Different power cord or wall outlet? PS mounted in the identical location and manner? Did you use some different screws to attach the PS to the case, that are so long they shorted out something inside the PS? What is different about the old PS compared to the Corsair, physically? Was it a tight fit compared to the old PS? You likely had most of the cables on the Corsair PSs unused, and floating around in your case, since it is non-modular, and your old PS is small. Any chance of shorts from either messy or over perfect unused cable management?

You didn't enter your PC's specs, do you have an old or oddball mother board or other components?

my pc specs are:

CPU: core2quad Q6600 - no overclocking

MOBO: Gigabyte EX38-DS4

Ram: 6GB assorted DDR2 800 (2gb A-data) (4gb Gskill)

Video: 3870x2

2 HDD (2tb & 1tb)

no optical or floppy

the PSU calc said a tx650 would be suficient for this system.

The power cord I used was the same as the one from my old PSU for the first corsair PSU, and the one that came with the replacement for the second.

The screws for attaching it into the case were the same (old ones for the first psu, new ones for the second)

Yes there were many many cables left over, I had these positioned coming out the top of the case and away from any metal objects or anythign that could short them (made extra sure that nothing could short/touch anythign it wasnt meant to for the second unit)

the corsair psu was *slightly* smaller but only by a fraction of a mm or so (my old PSU fits snuggly through the back of the case, the corsair one was more of a loose fit, but only just). It was also positioned exactly the same as the old unit.

I just cant figure out what i could possibly do to make it explode? especially with all the protective features they are supposed to have.

the shop i bought it from suggested both times that it had been a power surge, but I have surge protectors that hadnt tripped, and ALL my other electronic devices are fine (including other computers). and arent most PSUs surge protected wit MOVs anyway??

Is it possible an entire batch has a faulty component that burns out?

obviously im not buying anymore from that store but not really sure if i should risk another corsair unit anyway, would really like to know why this happened so i can decide if i should buy another one from somewhere else (possibly from a different batch?).

rockit, I was really stretching trying to find a reason, that was all I could think of. Another test would be buying a non-Corsair PS, and see what happens when you put it in your PC.

Yet another stretching explanation is, I wonder if your older mother board uses -5V power that is no longer provided on modern power supplies. The usual reaction in that case is the PC doesn't boot. But why that situation would cause a PS to fail loudly makes no sense.

Hmm, would your mother board have a 20 pin mother board connector, instead of the 24 pin standard used for a while now? Well, that also would not cause the PS to fail and not take the board along with it.

You've got me on this one, a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
Just had the same thing happen to me on a test build not 5 minutes ago. The entire thing ran perfect for about 10 seconds when i noticed the fan on the power supply wasn't spinning and about 2 seconds after that I heard a loud pop and everything shut down. Really dissapointing, really unexpected.

• 1 month later...

Archived