Corsair Community

H80 replacement fans

Nicotroll

Hello,

So the stock fans on H80 are really too loud, I cannot stand it.

I'd like to know, which fans should I get ?

I want the noise to be as low as possible without decreasing cooling performance of the H80.

So which fans do you recommend ?

I actually found this one: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=34071&vpn=FN-PX12-15&manufacture=Gelid%20Solutions%20Ltd.

Is it compatible and is it a good choice ?

EDIT: I also thought of this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999007&Tpk=LOGISYS%20Computer%20SF120

Thanks in advance !

Well, When I select the Medium (balanced) Setting on the pump button, the fans are really noticeable and I really HATE it lol. and I think that medium setting is about 1300 RPM (Maybe I'm wrong) So setting it to 1500 RPM with a fan controller would be even worst !

I want the noise to be as low as possible without decreasing cooling performance of the H80...

Thanks in advance !

If that was possible, Corsair would of used fans like that in the first place. They may believe they already do.

If the elusive, perfect, magic fan that produced gale force winds in silence existed, everyone would use it and the hundreds of PC fans would not exist.

The Corsair fans run up to ~2700 RPM. If you are certain that the fan speed control of your H80 is working correctly, then we can continue, but most users are not bothered by these fans running at ~1000 RPM. If all is well with the fan controller, and the noise bothers you, that is fine, everyone is different.

The fans you linked to might be quieter than the Corsair fans, but mainly because they only run up to 1500 RPM. Will they cool as well as the Corsair fans? Ultimately, no. With the PC idling, or under a low load (although we have no idea what your PC is) those other fans will perform Ok, but at a high CPU load, they will never cool as well as the Corsair fans, if only due to the speed difference.

Pushing air through a radiator is much harder than a finned heat sink. Which is why HOOD mentioned static pressure. The Corsair fans have one of the highest static pressure specs of any fan, up to 7.7mm/H2O. One fan you selected has that spec of 1.6mm, the other unknown (usually meaning they don't want to say.)

Anyway, if there was a perfect replacement fan, we'd know what it is already, but there is no general consensus on what that is. Another issue is, you cannot connect any random fan to the Corsair fan controller, which is tuned for the stock fans. The results will be unpredictable, as users have reported in this forum in the past.

Since you are noise sensitive, I cannot recommend fans for you, since I am not, relatively speaking. These fans are considered by some to be a good compromise: http://www.koolertek.com/computer-parts/pc/Noiseblocker-MF12-S3HS-120mm-Fan-184p1198.htm

Personally, I would suggest going to PWM controlled fans, connected to your mother boards CPU Fan connector and fan control software. Hopefully your boards fan control software would allow you to choose a speed/temperature profile that will be quiet enough for you, with good PWM fans. Or, you'll need a separate manual fan speed controller, so you can set the fan's speed to a comfortable noise level, but you'll need to live with whatever temperature that produces.

Something that's really starting to bug me is people posting questions that don't provide there specs. Be nice to know what case your running. You may have a fan controller issue if those fans are bugging you at medium settings. 1300rpm on these fans are very quiet for the amount of air they move. Put the controller on maximum and see if they get louder.

Something that's really starting to bug me is people posting questions that don't provide there specs. Be nice to know what case your running. You may have a fan controller issue if those fans are bugging you at medium settings. 1300rpm on these fans are very quiet for the amount of air they move. Put the controller on maximum and see if they get louder.

Hello,

My case is a CoolerMaster HAF 922 and my CPU is a Intel Core i7 2600k @3.40 GHZ.

I currently have the fan controller set at low (quiet) And I'm okay with the noise.

However, I get a temperature of 32-36 celcius degrees when I'm doing simple tasks such as watching movies or browsing the internet, and i'm getting temperatures as high as 45 celcius degrees while gaming (Saints Row the third on max graphic settings)

Is that temperature too high ? Because if it's fine, I'll keep the fan controller on low since the noise on that setting is not bothering me at all.

Thanks.

Your CPU temps are fine, given your loads and with the fan controller set to and operating in Quiet mode. If you have SpeedStep, C1E, or C-States enabled now, your temps could be somewhat better at idle.

Considering the CPU cooler Intel provides with their CPUs, they are not as concerned with achieving the lowest CPU temps possible, as enthusiasts can be. Intel knows that operating their CPUs in the 40C - 50C range continuously is fine and what they would consider normal. Their paradigm regarding the load placed on a CPU does not align to a large extent with that of enthusiasts. Intel believes CPUs operate mostly under a low load or are idle, with usually short periods of increased usage, and rarely if ever operate at 80% or higher loads. That is accurate for the majority of users.

The point is chasing the lowest possible CPU temperature is really not necessary. Trading a CPU temp that is 10C or even 20C higher for a quiet PC is reasonable, and is not a compromise regarding the longevity of a CPU. A CPU will activate it's thermal protection mechanisms long before it is damaged, and shut off when it will be damaged.

It's difficult for enthusiasts to put the "lowest CPU temp possible" viewpoint out of their minds (including myself) but in reality it is more than likely not that important ( :eek: .) The need for CPU over-clocker's to cool their hot CPUs as much as possible has permeated the PC enthusiast culture to the point that is has become dogma, IMO.

Actually, while a HAF 922 is a good case, it is not marketed as a case for quiet PCs, but can be tuned for that result. I'm just a bit surprised that a quiet PC person might use that case, but my notion that it is not very quiet apparently is wrong. I use a large CM case with 200mm fans, and while I think it is pretty quiet, I have the impression from your first post that you would likely consider it not quiet.

HOOD makes a good point, that verifying your fan controller is operating correctly is a good idea. I get the feeling that it is fine and you have it running as low as possible.

I wish I could find the thread by a H100 user who's goal was to minimize the noise from a H100, and used the NB fans, but the last page of posts doesn't go back that far.

Archived