Corsair Community

install in EFI system?

mark_e_h

I have a brand new Gateway FX6860, which includes a 1.5tb hd. Boots fine. System uses EFI instead of the older (and simpler) MBR boot record....

Also purchased a ForceGT 120 gb, which I thought I would use as the windows disc for performance.

I used a clone tool (Miray HDClone) to clone the larger hd to the SSD. Clone seemed to work fine.

The system won't boot off of the cloned disc. Says "insert OS disc" or something similar.

Any suggestions?? thanks,

To be clear, an EFI system uses the GUID Partition Table, or GPT, instead of a MBR. As long as the PC is a EFI based PC, storage devices should be compatible with it, as EFI does not require anything from the storage device, AFAIK.

I have not worked with GPT partitioned disks, but the problem might be that your SSD or any drive must be partitioned as a GPT device before it is used. You did not mention doing that, or if the cloning software you used would do that. Another question is does cloning software need to be GPT compatible?

The message about inserting a disk could be anything from the boot order being set to the optical drive first, or the SSD being skipped as non-bootable for whatever reason, and going to the optical drive.

Well, I appreciate the input.

The original 1.5TB C drive (supplied installed by GW, boots fine) is in fact a "basic MBR" disk.

The SSD is "basic GPT". Doesn't seem to help.

Ending up with a bootable SSD has become a real chore - I just keep trying new combinations. About to give up and return the device to Fry's, as much as I would hate to do that.

You've lost me here, now you said the original disk is MBR partitioned, and the SSD is GPT partitioned? The SSD is not supplied in GPT or any other partitioned state, that is done by the user. If the standard OS disk with that PC is MBR, why go to GPT on the SSD?

BTW, are you confusing a UEFI type BIOS, with EFI GPT booting? The former does not guarantee the latter. If the PC was supplied with a MBR partitioned drive for the OS, how did you format the SSD as GPT partitioned? The usual reason for using GPT partitioning is to allow using large HDDs, above 2TB in size.

I've installed Windows many times on many different SSDs, all MBR partitioned, and even on RAID 0 volumes. No problems at all, and no reason why there should be.

Have you tried formatting the SSD to start over, and try installing your OS from it's disk, if you have one? If not, you should be able to make one on that PC. That is, with just the default partitioning that Windows will use. Some would suggest a secure erase too, but that is another potential PITA.

The original 1.5TB C drive (supplied installed by GW, boots fine) is in fact a "basic MBR" disk.

The SSD is "basic GPT".

You can not clone an MBR disk to a GPT disk. You can either

- clear the SSD and create an MBR partition on it to clone the HDD to SSD

or

- leave the SSD to GPT and do a clean Win 7 installation. If you have an UEFI BIOS, this could work, but I have never tried this. GPT is necessary to boot from disks or create partitions larger than 2 TB.

Well, you probably both know more than I do. Here is where things stand:

I installed a completely new Win7 install (from my wife's laptop) to the SSD, with the HD unplugged. Boots fine.

I used the Gateway restore discs on the SSD. Put all of the Gateway stuff back on the SSD. This replaced the Windows partition, but left the boot partition in place.

Things are close.

With the HD unplugged (physically, as in taking the SATA cable out) the SSD boots.

With both discs plugged in, and the priority of the SSD set highest in the bios, it won't boot (!) and tells me to "insert media with an OS" (or similar). If the HD is unplugged, it boots correctly.

If I interrupt the boot cycle to pick the SSD (even thought it was already first priority), it boots correctly, and seems to work correctly. I have tried moving the SATA plugs on the mother board to see if its something weird about where the drive is plugged in, but that doesn't seem to matter.

So it works. Having to pick the drive each time seems like a pain, and I have no idea why things should work this way. But at least it works.

Any other ideas (the boot should be automatic) would be appreciated.

thnx,

The boot problem with both drives connected has several potential sources.

Since the HDD that came with the PC still has an OS installed on it (correct?) and all in one PC manufactures like to make their products tied to their factory configuration, there may be a contention between them caused by a BIOS setting that is not available to the user.

Using the restore disk on the SSD resulted in... I have no idea what the result was, but that may be the problem.

The request to insert the disk when both drives are connected might be due to the dual copies of the same OS on the PC. Windows might be trying to set up a dual boot system (if you are lucky) or wants to try "fixing" things so you only have one OS (if you are not luck.)

Frankly, the OS installations on that PC are rather confused after everything that has happened, IMO you're lucky it's working as well as it is.

The boot problem with both drives connected has several potential sources.

Since the HDD that came with the PC still has an OS installed on it (correct?) and all in one PC manufactures like to make their products tied to their factory configuration, there may be a contention between them caused by a BIOS setting that is not available to the user.

That makes (some) sense. Perhaps if I format the original disc the problem will go away.

Using the restore disk on the SSD resulted in... I have no idea what the result was, but that may be the problem.

Yeah.... sometime I outsmart myself....

The request to insert the disk when both drives are connected might be due to the dual copies of the same OS on the PC. Windows might be trying to set up a dual boot system (if you are lucky) or wants to try "fixing" things so you only have one OS (if you are not luck.)

Frankly, the OS installations on that PC are rather confused after everything that has happened, IMO you're lucky it's working as well as it is.

I suppose so. Overall, I'm not very happy with Gateway - no documentation, little support. May even return the system.

My problem was listed above. After copying Windows to the SSD, the system would halt the boot to make me select which drive - the original 1.5gb drive (which has windows installed) or the new SSD. This was despite the fact that the SSD was selected in the bios.

I noticed that even when I had selected the SSD, the 1.5tb drive was "drive 0", the SSD was drive 1.

In theory, as I understand it, the drive numbers shouldn't mean anything. But I tried switching cables around so the SSD was in a lower numbered plug. This fixed the problem - I now get a clean boot, the SSD is drive 0, the 1.5tb is drive 1.

It shouldn't work, but it does.

Archived