Corsair Community

Ram not working?

mabbrus

Just picked up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143 for $66 after mail in rebate...

Attempted to plug it into my computer and get started up, but it would not turn on..

Here are my current system specs:

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Using a phenom II x4 965 black

Sapphire Radeon 4850HD

Rest shouldn't matter. I know that my motherboard says it only supports dual channel memory, but this makes no sense since there is 4 slots.. And I thought that the difference between dual channel tri channel and quad channel memory was just how many modules there were..Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong The cas latency-s are the same I thought..however my current ram setup lists it's latency as "9-9-9-24-2N" -2N at the end of it is different and I don't know if that's effecting anything.

The computer is not doing anything...well the processor gets power and all the lights and fans turn on, but no output to the screen or to my mouse/keyboard which both have LEDs

Are you trying to use this with the RAM already installed in your machine?

Have you tried resetting the bios with just one stick of the new memory installed?

Also could you please fill in your specs in the drop down section of your profile. It's alot easier than trying to flip back and forth through links to look up components?

No my motherboard has 4 ram slots and I was attempting to put all 4 in..however when that didn't work just 2 and when that didn't work just 1. I will get on the filling in of specs with the drop-down.

I have not attempted to reset my bios and am not sure how to.

Should I plug in my old ram, get into bios and restore to defaults or Is there another way that I don't know about that would take effect after I shut down my computer?

Edit: My system specs should be updated and the part number for the RAM I am trying to use is: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

Thanks for filling in your specs. :)

I have not attempted to reset my bios and am not sure how to.

Check your MB manual. Depending on the mb it may be a jumper , reset button , or even removing the battery from the board for a few minutes. If you cant find it , i'll download your manual and take a look. Then use just one stick in the first slot and see if it will boot normally.

With your MB and processor you will be limited to 1333mhz unless you overclock the CPU to get to 1600mhz. But it should still fire up and run at defaults.

Still no luck so far reset my bios in two different ways and it wont boot up. Could not find my manuel however downloaded the QVL(Qualified vendor List) from ASUS's site and while they list 16 gbs is supported there is no 16gb packages on the list. not only that but there isn't even an 8gb package on the list. I am really not sure where to go from here.

Archived