Corsair Community

H100 Issues. Fan not maxing?

fartripper67

I just finished my first build, got it working correctly as far as I know, except I notice that when I change the fan controller settings (on the block) the fans only show a miniscule increase / decrease in speeds and noise levels, and I'm getting mildly high (compared to others) CPU temps when using prime 95.

The main concern is when I set it to max, it really doesn't sound /perform like it's on max.

When I boot my computer during POST and the CPU fans cycles though different speeds, I notice a very significant difference between them, and when it hits max during the cycle, it's LOUD. Not the case when I'm actually up and in the OS. On the max setting it's nowhere near as loud as in POST.

I've tried fiddling with the BIOS fan settings and speed fan, and none seem to do anything.

I've also checked my lot code, it's a different lot number than the known batch to be having issues.

I'm running an i5 2500k stock, fresh out of the box, And I'm getting 33C idle temps and 61C full load in prime 95 with "max" fan speeds. 61C seems high to me considering I'm at 3.3, not even overclocked.

Anybody have any insight on this? Is there something wrong or am I being anal?

Hook fans to mobo or molex connectors... This is the same thing I had happen to my friends if u hold the button for 5-10seconds and let go do they spin to max for 5-10 seconds then drop back down... We just hooked my buddies to the mobo... Ur temps are pretty high, his h100 maxes at 64° at 4.6 and 1.4v on a 2500k... But im guessing ur fans r almost off so you should have a good drop once u speed them up and let the paste settle.

I also just installed my H100 two days ago and I am having the exact same problem. Though the fans are rated for 2600 RPM max speed, I cannot get them to go past 2163 RPM (they reached 2240 at one point but the rest of the time it is max 2163). I have tried using speedfan and changing bios settings but nothing works. It seems like the 3 speed profiles aren't working for me either, because if I press the button on the block the fan speeds are reported the same. I haven't tried changing it while the computer is powered off though. I will try plugging the rad fans directly into the mobo now and see if that does anything.

the H100 uses a coolant temp profile man.

Even on the third setting, it's not going to spin the fans at 100% all the time. It might never do that... unless the profile dictates it should based on coolant temperatures.

I'm no expert on new processor temps, but if i'm not mistaken you should be getting the temps you are getting with an overclocked chip, NOT stock.

Sounds like something isnt right. real high ambient temps, keeping the rad warm... or the block isnt seated right.

If you dont care about the noise profile at all, simply connect the fans to your PSU directly, or motherboard headers (and disable fan speed control) and they will run at 100%.

Just tried connecting the one of the fans to the cpu fan header on the mobo and the other one into the pwr_fan header that the old top fan in my hafx used to plug into. They are reported as running at 2616 max now which makes more sense, but the speed profile buttons still don't have any effect. I have left the 3 pin connector from the h100 unplugged but the molex connector is still connected so the pump should still be running?

I also just installed my H100 two days ago and I am having the exact same problem. Though the fans are rated for 2600 RPM max speed, I cannot get them to go past 2163 RPM (they reached 2240 at one point but the rest of the time it is max 2163). I have tried using speedfan and changing bios settings but nothing works. It seems like the 3 speed profiles aren't working for me either, because if I press the button on the block the fan speeds are reported the same. I haven't tried changing it while the computer is powered off though. I will try plugging the rad fans directly into the mobo now and see if that does anything.

If your fans are hooked to the h100 fan controller you can't read the rpm you are reading the pump rpm.

Just tried connecting the one of the fans to the cpu fan header on the mobo and the other one into the pwr_fan header that the old top fan in my hafx used to plug into. They are reported as running at 2616 max now which makes more sense, but the speed profile buttons still don't have any effect. I have left the 3 pin connector from the h100 unplugged but the molex connector is still connected so the pump should still be running?

I just said to do this as a work around. The fan controller will not work unless the fans are plugged into it, or if they are aparently :laughing:. Are your temps better now that the fans are runnin faster.

If your fans are hooked to the h100 fan controller you can't read the rpm you are reading the pump rpm.

True. I'm not sure why I assumed it was reading the fan speeds.

I just said to do this as a work around. The fan controller will not work unless the fans are plugged into it, or if they are aparently :laughing:. Are your temps better now that the fans are runnin faster.

Oh of course that makes sense what was I thinking :confused:. The idle temps have only dropped about 1-2°, but the fans are I am pretty sure the fans are running faster and louder. I will run run some prime95 and see what the load temps look like.

• Corsair Employees

The H100 will really show its full potential when system is under load. Let us now what the result is after running Prime95.

Here is a good reference on how the profile works with respect to coolant temp and system load. http://www.corsair.com/blog/understanding-the-hydro-series-h80-and-h100-cooling-performance-profiles/

Archived