Corsair Community

SSD'S are faster, but SSD's are a waste of time

volkerhs

Hi,

I purchased SSD's of the Force series for my laptop and my desktop PC. Was keen to get better performance. And indeed, the performance was really better!

However, I wasted a lot of time with installation and copying systems and data to the SSD's.

Due to bugs in firmware partitions got scrambled on my desktop PC. Wasted a lot of time to fix it.

I wasted a lot of time for updating buggy firmware.

Now I returned to hard disks and put the shiny new SSD's to a closet for old hardware.

Now my PC's work fine and I am happy.

Funny that you experience similar problems. Think about the following:

All the time you gain by SSD's is wasted for maintaining them. See the long threads in this forum.

Best regards,

Volker

Before I bought SSD's I used to wake up, start the computer and then go to bed for "just 5 more minutes" until it booted up. That usually meant sleeping for another 10-30 minutes.

With SSD's windows boots up in a few seconds and there's no time to go back to bed. In 8 months I believe I saved about 81 hours due to this.

Before I bought SSD's I used to wake up, start the computer and then go to bed for "just 5 more minutes" until it booted up. That usually meant sleeping for another 10-30 minutes.

With SSD's windows boots up in a few seconds and there's no time to go back to bed. In 8 months I believe I saved about 81 hours due to this.

LOL....this is one of the best endorsements for SSDs that I have seen but it is also a double edged sword. It could be interpreted that you are now sleeping 10-30 min less every day :(:.

But, it's not a bad thing if that equates to more productivity in other areas. ::pirate::

Hi,...

Funny that you experience similar problems. Think about the following:

All the time you gain by SSD's is wasted for maintaining them. See the long threads in this forum.

Best regards,

Volker

SSDs are a relatively new technology, and are not always simple plug and play devices. Most of that issue is not the SSDs fault, but that of the hardware and software that we have. Older hardware and software was not designed with SSDs in mind. For example, the default SATA mode in the BIOS of mother boards was not AHCI until the Intel 6-series chipset mother boards were introduced in 2011. Windows did not have TRIM capability or a built in AHCI driver until Windows 7.

Mother board manufactures have the problem of creating products that will work for everyone and their random drives, etc. One size fits all default BIOS settings are inevitably a compromise for some users.

SSDs require varying amounts of intervention by their owners depending upon the rest of their PC in order to perform optimally. That is not unusual for any kind of newer technology or device. But once the set up is complete, you're done, unless your SSD has growing pains, as some unfortunately do.

Hello Volker,

i think that maintaining hdd's by slowly defragmentation about every week uses more time than quickly updating the firmware. oh and i only needed to do one single firmware-upgrade till now, had no problems before, neither after. i dont get your point. if the time for copying data from other drives to the ssd is to slow, then, well, buy faster other drives, since it cannot write faster than others read or vice versa.

Disks from othe vendors, which i of course not recommend in this forum, additionally are faster and cheaper.... just got blended by ATTO-Benches from this one...like me.

But as i said, i had no single freeze, no single data-loss, just - what makes me angry the most of - only slightly faster than a HDD, not worse the money.

Archived